Tango'd Storm

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Wicky

Re: Tango'd Storm

Post by Wicky »

scubadog wrote:Thanks Jim.

Can we all see this image of Tango in a state undress...?

Scoobs
:wink:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

scubadog wrote:Thanks Jim.

Can we all see this image of Tango in a state undress...?

Scoobs
nice picture, very naked indeed...... :erection:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

Thank f**k for that. So now I can show you the oil cooler location...

Scoobie
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

I like that solution for the oil cooler fella :thumbup:
I totally get the fugues, can it be sprayed orange to blend in a bit better?
Still an awesome fighter though :clap:
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

You know what? I reckon that damn fugger will come off soon. There's no way you can make a zit look any better. You can put cream on it but it's still there. A zit is a zit. And that fugger is a bleedin' zit.
Scoobie
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

cracking looking bike. great work, you have far too much spare time i reckon.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

Was drooling over this bike at the pondy a few weeks ago and it's a gorgeous looking machine,excellent job scoob,you had any more thought on the belly pan :?: ps the offer of my storm and 4 Stella's still stands if ya fancy a trade mate :D
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

vtwin goody wrote:Was drooling over this bike at the pondy a few weeks ago and it's a gorgeous looking machine,excellent job scoob,you had any more thought on the belly pan :?: ps the offer of my storm and 4 Stella's still stands if ya fancy a trade mate :D
Hi mate. Good to meet you at the Ponderosa and thanks for your comments. Still considering the belly pan but I think it looks better when there's other bodywork to complement it. I'd probably cut it about a bit. I'm half thinking about a change of colour so that would be the time to think about more bodywork. Bugger, I'd have to drop the Tango name if I did that!!

I've also thought long and hard about your offer. It's a great offer but sadly I won't take it up. I'm not a lager drinker...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

scubadog wrote:Thank f**k for that. So now I can show you the oil cooler location...

Scoobie
Personally the oil cooler mounted under the seat doesn't look out of place to me, as I'm sure it's not that noticeable when looking at the bike from normal head height. If anything, I'd say possibly the Goodridge hoses stand out more, but that is only going by the photo's, it may look different in reality.
I can see why you have moved the oil cooler from the front of the engine, although where it is now will it get the required draught to make it work properly :eh: that would, be my only concern.

Your bike is looking a good as ever Martin 8) 8)
Keep up the good work,

Chris.
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

Hi Chris

Funny you should ask about the air flow. I thought about it a lot before fitting the new cooler and concluded that a 16-row Earls cooler mounted up the jacksy is going to be a lot more efficient than the piddly little Honda 2-row thing mounted under the headstock. According to my man at Earls, the feed pipes will add an element of cooling too, just like on the water radiator at the front.

Then it occurred to me that the stock Firestorm rads work on the principle of what we might call "parallel" airflow rather than "direct" airflow (ie airflow over the rads rather than through them) so the same principle should apply to the oil cooler, I reckon.

Or I could just be talking a load of b*****ks, of course...

Scoob
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

From what I can see there's no thermostat in the oil system just a pressure relief valve (presumably for very cold weather).

The oil spends quite a bit of time in contact with engine cases exposed to the outside air plus other parts exposed to the coolant system. I wonder how effective and necessary the oil cooler is? Has anyone ever taken temperature measurements?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

That's an interesting question. I've not taken any temp readings.

I remember a conversation a long time ago with someone I've forgotten who reckoned the stock VTR oil cooler is effectively redundant as it doesn't do much of a cooling job at all. One of the reasons I stuck the bigger oil cooler on is that my water cooling system is a little compromised by having just one rad. So, for my bike, I'm working on the principle that any extra cooling the oil cooler brings can only be a good thing.

Scubadog
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

scubadog wrote:
vtwin goody wrote:Was drooling over this bike at the pondy a few weeks ago and it's a gorgeous looking machine,excellent job scoob,you had any more thought on the belly pan :?: ps the offer of my storm and 4 Stella's still stands if ya fancy a trade mate :D
Hi mate. Good to meet you at the Ponderosa and thanks for your comments. Still considering the belly pan but I think it looks better when there's other bodywork to complement it. I'd probably cut it about a bit. I'm half thinking about a change of colour so that would be the time to think about more bodywork. Bugger, I'd have to drop the Tango name if I did that!!

I've also thought long and hard about your offer. It's a great offer but sadly I won't take it up. I'm not a lager drinker...
Pmsl,but joking aside I personally think your storm is in the top 5 fighters I regularly talk about(always followed the fighter scene so this isn't an off the cuff comment) You have done a fantastic job and your mate that was at the pondy said you do a build to very high standards but always know not to over do it,I've got to agree with him,it doesn't need a color change but that's your choice as far as the rest goes is up to you but from an outside view it's pure quality as it is mate hopefully see ya out and about sometime
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

Thanks for the really kind comments. I'm blushing now...

The "tick paddy" (Don, my mate you spoke to) does bang on a bit, doesn't he? I think he's trying to smooth talk his way into orange streetfighter ownership, the sneaky git. Lace my tea with something nasty (like Irish whisky - I'm a single malt man myself) and have it away on his toes with my bike when I croak. Bleedin' foreigners.

And orange it'll stay. Can't believe I even considered going through the ball-ache of having it repainted. Jury's still out on the wheels, though. Thinking of having them powdercoated black or black with polished rims but now someone's pitched white into the equation. Nah, not white. Black, I reckon.

You're only a few miles away from me so we'll surely bump into each other (metaphorically speaking of course) out there somewhere. Looking forward to it.

Cheers again
Martin (scubadog)
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

scubadog wrote:....Thinking of having them powdercoated black or black with polished rims
Yup - that was my suggestion! (gloats!): Black wih polished rims! As you keep yer bike spotless, diamond cut rims shouldn't be too bad to keep nice. A wipe with ACF50 will keep em shiny for ages.

Nowt wrong with the KTM orangey satsuma-on-steroids colour. But, a deep purple (Very deep - like a Locket cough sweet) with light gold flake through it would be nice.

Go with black and polished rims..........or else I won't want it later on. :lol:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017