My VTR is struggling to start

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
chris1bev

My VTR is struggling to start

Post by chris1bev »

Something tells me its not major but went to start her this morning after a rainy night and she is kept outside and she was struggling to turn over when i tryed to start her but it didnt sound like a dead battery turn over, have any of you people got any ideas as to what this could be, hopefully i haven't been stiffed on my new bike??
donk

Re: My VTR is struggling to start

Post by donk »

hi there,

it's not flooded is it?? is the choke in?? you havn't knocked the little red switch on the handle bar that stops turn over??. hope you get it sorted soon!!
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

chris1bev wrote:she was struggling to turn over
That sounds like the battery, especially if its been ok before. Its a new toy so have you been starting it often without taking it for a long ride?
Ride Safe
Phil
chris1bev

Post by chris1bev »

That could be an idea then as since i have had it i have only been starting her up to go 3 minutes round the corner to turn her off again for 7 hours and then back home in the evening!! It's not the engine cut off and the choke is fine.

When you say flooded what do you mean as the previous owner had her stored in his garage and it never saw alot of rain but now she's with me and i have no garage she is outside and it did rain heavily last night!
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

when he said flooded he ment petrol in the carbs matey :D if your turning it over half doz times and she wont fire leave her 10 mins for the fuel in carbs to settle down :wink2

also check the lead on ya starter motor aint corroded and covered in crap, just had to sort my mates out for him, his starts fine now!
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

If your bike is the earlier version (16ltr fuel tank model) you may still have the original rectifier fitted, if it is it will have no cooling fins on it. These are known to fail at some point. Have a look at this link, there's advice on how-too change it if needed:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5308

I'm more inclined to think it's the very short trips you're doing that's not putting enough back into the battery as Phil-VTwin suggests, but it could be any of the above really.

Chris.
chris1bev

Post by chris1bev »

Thanks for the replies, i took the battery off and put it on charge for roughly 45 minutes and then cleaned the battery connector ends, put it back together and started fine, so im hoping it was something to do with the battery!
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

If your only using it for short journeys then the battery will suffer. You'll need to take it out for a good blast at least once a week. Also, check the cable to the starter motor. It's right down at the front of the engine and catches all the crap off the front wheel. Make sure it's clean and smear some vaseline over it to keep water off it.
Rich.

gilson

Post by gilson »

If you can, get a charger and trail it outside and keep it charged. If you buy an optimate, it comes with a lead that you permenantly attach to the battery and then simply plug it in when you park it up.

A cover is a good idea too...

VTRs need a perfect battery to start, once this happens, it's usually the sign of a new battery... an optimate or similar claims to help.
No bike (yet).
chris1bev

Post by chris1bev »

Thats brilliant, thanks alot for all the advice,you guys have been a great help!!
bluelou

Post by bluelou »

having simular probs with my storm :mad2 have bought new battery and plugs it seems to have sorted problem out :thumbup: :thumbup:
chris1bev

Post by chris1bev »

Ok, another problem has occured, while riding to work today the engine just cut out and now wont start again, does the bike need the battery once the engine has started? Please help!
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

Yes Chris it needs the battery to provide the HT leads with power to the spark plugs. But you need to look at why the engine cut out in the first place.
Sounds like one of those niggling (nearly there but not quite) type of problems. Good luck,

Simon
chris1bev

Post by chris1bev »

Really starting to wander if i have a duff battery....after it konked out it stayed at work for 7 hours and then she started fine????
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

Sounding like a loose connection to the battery then. If it's a wire somewhere that heats up and the insulation softens and moves away from the connection the circuit will be broken. But after everything cools it hardens and "reconnects" as it were. Might need to check the wiring loom from the battery forwards looking for loose wires/ Tedious but cheeper than a new battery. And if it turns out to be an earthing short then you might kill a brand new battery anyway!

Out with the multimeter, me thinks!

Good luck