15th Aug ,Scotland , Campbeltown,Mull Of Kintyre..anyone?

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

bikerpiker

15th Aug ,Scotland , Campbeltown,Mull Of Kintyre..anyone?

Post by bikerpiker »

Does anyone fancy coming with us , a west coast ride out to Campbeltown,on the Kintyre peninsula , it's very scenic route,with lots of the route where the roads run paralell with the sea lochs and through the glens ,on a clear day great views across to the islands of Jura ,Islay and Ghia... (think whisky) :thumbup:

We will probably go from here,(Ayrshire) via Glasgow ,over the Erskine Bridge, Loch Lomond ,Inveraray ,Tarbert and all the way down the West side of Kintyre to Campbeltown ,and back up the other side,with at least one wee cheap ferry journey thrown in,possibly two :)

If anybody fancies it and doesnt know exactly where Kintyre is,,have a look on the map,it sits behind the Isle Of Arran ,and Campbeltown is actually more south than Berwick upon Tweed ,(opposite coast though)so from here in Ayrshire it's up,round and down......way down .

Infact from Dumbarton just next to Glasgow, it's 124 miles to Campbeltown , so from here (Kilmarnock) it'll be roughly a 300 mile round trip ,maybe 30 miles shorter dependin which ferries we use on the way home.

The ferries are not too expensive ,one is £4 , and if we get the other from Tarbert to Portavadie its around £10,so not too bad.

Obviously it's too far for you English chaps for a day ride out ,(Except Blacknek (Ed) ,who lives here) :wink: ,but there's plenty B&b's ,travelodges and campsites in this area if any of you guys fancied it .

So far from the forum it looks like Myself (Bikerpiker), Ed (Blacknek) ,Bryan ,(escocia) , and Bryans son and a mate are coming as well :thumbup:

Cupasoop(Rich) is booked for Ulster GP on same date,....but hes 50/50 right now,it's poss he might come with us Edit...it's looking likely now :thumbup:

Ed is also booked for the UlsterGP but says he would rather do the Kintyre ride out :thumbup:

So there ya go........Timbo?....Zipper?...or whoever fancies joining us????
Stevie
bikerpiker

Re: 15th Aug ,Scotland , Campbeltown,Mull Of Kintyre..anyon

Post by bikerpiker »

Looks like there's every chance this might not happen now.........weather looks to be sh1t for Saturday ,hopefully the weather men...err persons ,have got it wrong though :(
Stevie
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

bloody hope they av got it wrong :cry: , im coming up to ayr on sat for a week with the wife n kids :D never been ooop north 8)
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

marravtr wrote:bloody hope they av got it wrong :cry: , im coming up to ayr on sat for a week with the wife n kids :D never been ooop north 8)
Nowt worse than pissin rain to put you off ,that happened to me the one and only time i went to Cornwall :cry: ,yet,when i see anything about it on tv ,it looks beautifull ,...i maybe try it again sometime :!:

Bring yer wellies,just incase :lol: :wink: .......are you goin to a caravan at the Haven 'site ,Craig Tara ?

Quite a lot to do in the area ,Largs , ferry to Millport or Arran , Culzean country park and castle(park at Maidens and walk in through the woods,it saves you paying :wink: ,Kelburn Castle , Electric Brae ,Ayr itself is Ok , Alloway etc

Loch Lomond area just over 1 hour away (Balloch ,Lomond Shores ,and Luss are all worth a visit )

Hope the weathers ok for you mate :thumbup:
Stevie
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

yes stopping at caravan site, dunno the name tho the mrs booked it :lol: hear about that electric brae place, one of my customers was on about it last week, sounds interesting!
plan on having a good look round as i want to take me lad on the bike for a weeks tour round the highlands next yr, 8)
thanks for the info on places to go/see while we're up there matey :thumbup:
blacknek

Post by blacknek »

bikerpiker wrote:Looks like there's every chance this might not happen now.........weather looks to be sh1t for Saturday ,hopefully the weather men...err persons ,have got it wrong though :(
they say that its pissin down and force 6 gales here today....(stranraer) but its not, no wind and no rain... hope then the trip 2moro will go ahead....... :lol:
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Rain is battering off the office window here in sunny Glasgow :(
Rich.

bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Hmmmm....it don't look good that's for sure ..... :(
Stevie
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

marravtr wrote:yes stopping at caravan site, dunno the name tho the mrs booked it :lol: hear about that electric brae place, one of my customers was on about it last week, sounds interesting!
plan on having a good look round as i want to take me lad on the bike for a weeks tour round the highlands next yr, 8)
thanks for the info on places to go/see while we're up there matey :thumbup:
A day jaunt to Oban,..or Fort William ,via Loch Lomond and Glencoe is do-able in the car from Ayr mate ,you could return by the Dunoon to Gourock ferry http://www.western-ferries.co.uk/ ,tickets available half the listed price in local shops ,...for other islands,ie Arran, Bute (Rothesay),and Cumbrae(Millport) you need
http://www.calmac.co.uk/islands.html ,got to pay full price on those though :(

Ps....if it's pissin doon ,and the wife needs some "retail therapy",theres always Silverburn shoppin centre (M77),or Braehead shoppin centre(M8) :lol: Glasgow city centre is ok as well :)
Stevie
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

retail therapy!!!!! Noooooo :( aint goin all that way to get dragged round the shops :evil:.......... heard its gonna be a heatwave from tomorrow :lol: :lol: just packed the coats n wellys in the car! good ol uk summer hols eh :thumbup:
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

Timbo wrote:
marravtr wrote:retail therapy!!!!! Noooooo :( aint goin all that way to get dragged round the shops :evil:.......... heard its gonna be a heatwave from tomorrow :lol: :lol: just packed the coats n wellys in the car! good ol uk summer hols eh :thumbup:
Retail Therapy isnt a holiday, thats torture!!!

Have a good holiday Marra but its going to be torture up there in a car when you see all them good roads :biggrin
oh dunno so much matey, just got a new car, lookin forward to a play on some quiet twisties with the roof down :twisted:

cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Better get some water wings for that car........it;s fecking chucking it down.

Cant see tomorrow happening. Just back froom working out the north side of Glasgow and the roads are flooded :( Even if it stopped right now it would take ages to dry out.
Rich.

bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

I was goin to agree...but ive just checked the weather http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209 ,it looks a lot better for tomorrow :!:

I just hate when you look forward to somethin and it's cancelled :(

If we dont go tomorrow ,and Sun is to be better than Sat ,then i'll go Sunday ,but not as far,maybe Inveraray and home on the boat,home for 4pm or so .

(Not keen on Sun runs,especially when i'm in early shift on the Monday)
Stevie
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Right......i've just dropped my daughter off in Kilmarnock,...it's fekn horrendous out there,really heavy rain ,flooded roads etc ,and just heard it on local radio that the Arran ferries have been cancelled due to adverse weather conditions .

I think we would be doin the right thing by postponing the bike run 'till another time..... :?:

Richie and Ed ... :?:

(I'm still unable to send or open PM 's)
Stevie
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

I've already got my weekends tv watching planned.
Rich.