head lights

General Bike chat
dynamite

head lights

Post by dynamite »

Hi all my head light fuse keeps blowing for some reason ive changed it loads but just keeps blowing.ive checked wot i can see but cant see the problem.Has anyone had this problem?Does anyone have any ideas?

cheers matt
Burn Rubber Not Your Soul!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

HiYa Dynamite
Could be a few things. The fuse blowing normally means excess current being drawn through it. You may have anything from a crappy conecter to an internal short in the loom somwhere. Have you been given any other clues as to when it blows. ie out in the wet, turning the handle bars etc.
Bad earths or regulation will give you the same symptoms. you're going to have to be systematic and go through the headlamp circuit checking each connecter and length of wire in between..Sorry mate don't know of any re-occurring usual faults on the head light circuit but the most commmon are around the head stock and the handlebar switches.
Good luck
Pete.l
dynamite

head lights

Post by dynamite »

Hi pete

cheers for info,the lights seem to blow when u rev the bike its ok on tick over but blow when u rev it.

matt
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Sounds like it might be a regulation problem.
Haven't looked in the manual but if you have an avo/digi volt meter put the probes across the battery terminals when the engine is on tick over.
At my best guess I would expect you to be reading between 12.5vdc- 14.5vdc and as the revs rise the voltage should remain fairly constant.
If the volts keep going up get the regulator checked and there is also normally some sort of balast resistor/protection diode in circuit as well which will also need checking.
A few others on here have had regulator problems so its a likely candidate.
Pete.l

Give us a shout if you more I can have a look in the manual this evening
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Ditto ...

Sounds like a voltage regulator problem.

Al.
dynamite

head lights

Post by dynamite »

Had the problem fixed today under warranty there was some wires coming from the headlight behind the clock and they have been rubbing on the head brace and the bare wires were touching
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Sorted :lol:
Thats what I like to hear.
Now go out and give it what it deserves :twisted: :twisted:
Pete.l