Hit & Run

General Bike chat
Wicky

Hit & Run

Post by Wicky »

Out at work in sunny Frinton-on-Sea in the gates and while parked up for 10 minutes some low life smack into the bike knocking it over and drove off. Damage limited to mainly cosmetic (fairing panel, rear seat plastic, two indicators, bent exhaust and footrest hanger bent but overall rideable.. phew!) Thankfully 3 witnesses got the registration no, so back home looking for my docs to report it at local nick. Can't seem to find my MOT so try to use DVLA website to confirm it definitely has one before handing myself in! Website stalls on V5 reference no. so ring em up - told I need V5c reference no which I haven't got cos they never sent me one. That'll cost £25 for a replacement!!

At the MOT station hoping for a duplicate (only a tenner so we look through my old ones I bought down and my current one was there _ I just confused 2009 thinking it was 2010 - it must have been the heat or shock or both.

So up to station to report my side within the 24 hours and then tomorrow report it to insurers. Policeman said I could begin fixing the damage as he had seen the damage but surely I'll need to take it to a dealers for a more more official estimate of damage? any ideas before I speak to the insurers - I took photos as well immediately when I got home.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
donk

Re: Hit & Run

Post by donk »

Sorry to hear about that buddy. There are some real sh*ts out there who have no respect for anything or anyone. It would have been some toss*r without insurance mot or tax. Im suprised you walked away from the police station without a ticket. Of late, the old bill couldn't give a shi* whether car drivers have the right documentation just as long as bikes don't have loud cans or number plates which are an inch to small.

Hope you get sorted soon and catch this son of a biatch.

Donk
Dean O

Post by Dean O »

what a tw*t!
good luck with yer claim, if push comes to shove pm BBUK, I think he has spare seat plastics :wink:
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

cocks :Richard:
i would get a quote from 2 garages, or just get your insurance to sort, have you got legal cover as youll need this for 3rd party claim. youll need to give them same details as you gave old bill.
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

I got smaked off my bike at 16 and HAD to repair the bike...it was my only form of transport for work etc...it suffered similar damage to that you described.

It was 4 months before the insurers sent a bloke out to survey the damage for the accident?!?! WTF?

Luckily I had no issues and the bloke that whacked me paid out anyway :) Hope you get it sorted mate.
SP1's rock!
firestorm jedi

Post by firestorm jedi »

Bas*"rds. Typical. :mad2 Timbo has it spot on though. If you take your photos digitally, your camera will have a function where you can put the date on the print on the photo side. Do this. Also if push comes to shove and the person responsible doesn't have insurance then Police will go to prosecute. If this happens then IF they are eligable for a caution (there'll be points and a court apperance for the driving offences) there's a new guideline where the person can be given this on the provision that they pay for the damage caused. If not then will be charged and go to court where you would apply for compensation anyway. This is pretty much worse case scenario but easiest way to sort. I'd also be wary of doing the repairs first off as the insurance company may use this as a get out clause. Best of luck with it all though. Hope it's straight forward. :thumbup:
seb421

Post by seb421 »

wombles fiddler!!
about 6 month ago my bike was parked up at college looking immaculate and proud, I came back to it after class and it was against a wall with the right hand can all scraped and red paint on it and a bent in

not got a clue who did it and not one of those Asians (of which there are loads, 1 I live in Bolton, 2 it was in front of reception where they work) saw anything apparently!

I dernt leave my bike unattended in front of my house for fear of some jealous Hippo kicking it over! my garage door can only be opened from inside out now so they cant steal anything again, pain in the ass when getting the bikes in and out but keeps those smack rats at bay!
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
pbc0

Post by pbc0 »

Its been like the wild west for years in Horwich.
Theres a brand new police station down the road but they only want to go down the M61 and chase traffic.
Same here. Garage door looks like its come out of Fort knox.