Braided hoses

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
adamtk

Braided hoses

Post by adamtk »

Hi all

Hope someone can help!!
I am really dissapointed with the brakes on my vtr owned it for a year now and she gets uses daily.
Does anyone know if i fit braided hoses will this give me more braking power? Also if it will help which is better Hel or Goodridge and where is the cheapest place to purchase anything to help the braking.

Any help is more than welcome!!

Adam
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. 
goody

Re: Braided hoses

Post by goody »

Fitting braided hoses won't give you any more power, they'll take out any sponginess caused by old hoses giving a more solid feel. Maybe new decent pads and a good strip and clean might improve them.
adamtk

Post by adamtk »

Yeah have tried that but hasnt made a great deal off difference to be fair maybe im expecting too much lol
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

If it gives you a benchmark.....

ok i'm new to biking only had a couple of bikes over the past two years, but the Storm ('98 R) when pulled up properly sends the forks diving right down and the rear wheel squirming and even lifting on occassion (when really pushed!)

So no, i'd say you're not expecting too much... here might be a problem!

Good luck
SK
gilson

Post by gilson »

So you have new pads (which ones?) and have cleaned your calipers. I presume that you've changed the fluid too? Have you tried the old trick of tying the brake lever to the handle bar over night? This often gets rid of the air.

Braideds would help, and you should run individual lines from the master cylinder to each caliper.

I think Hel are the best, but Goodridge are OK. I'd go for the best that you can afford... might be a secondhand set around.

After the lines the next upgrade is to get a new Master Cylinder, SP1/2 and the calipers too. Chis Jones will be able to help. PM Jonesey if you want... he might even have some lines....

These look like a good deal:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEL-Performance-b ... 286.c0.m14
No bike (yet).
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

I have a set of brand new Wurth stainless lines. They have stainless fittings (bolt up type), and because the banjos are fitted with compression fittings, it means that they are a doddle to fit (as you can swivel the banjos to get the fittings to line up). One is 760mm in length the other is 840mm- banjo to banjo). Both fitted with a 45 and 90 degree banjo at each end (as they have compression fittings you can replace the banjos if these done suit...they are a couple of quid each).

I bought these for a little project I was trying, fitted them and then took them off, so they are like new. £30 delivered if anyone is interested.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

you have a PM :)
Ride Safe
Phil
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Phil-VTwin wrote:you have a PM :)

Right back atcha!
gilson

Post by gilson »

Phil-VTwin wrote:you have a PM :)
Early bird gets the worm and all that...
No bike (yet).
adamtk

Post by adamtk »

Not 100% sure about the pads that are on there i know they wasnt really cheap.
Not tried strapping brake lever over night but i know you can guess that i will be doing that this evening.
Did have this mechanic do all the work as i dont have the time but ill be doing it myself from now on as i think he is abit of a cowboy lol

Still going to get some Braided hoses aswell. And just thinking about it when i had the brakes done i had Dot 5 put in aswell not sure how much of a difference that makes but i thought it was better.

Thanx for the advice too!!!!
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

DOT 5? Hope the master cylinder and everything else was thoroughly flushed and cleaned before it was put in :eek2

For road use i would stick with DOT 4 fluid :)
Ride Safe
Phil
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Dot 5 will react with any trace of Dot 4/5.1 fluid in the system and cause a gloopy mess. bear in mind that the seals in the pistons and master cylinder will have absorbed some Dot4 as well, so you should really have changed those over when going to Dot 5.

Also, as Dot 5 does not absorb water, you will have to regularly clean the system out, otherwise any wate will settle at the lowest point and cause corrosion.
Loads of info here.

Not worth putting Dot5 in a road bike IMHO...too much hassle.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

To Zakalwe. re brake fluid . Now thats something i did't know ...Thanks for the info :thumbup: Cheers Chris C
adamtk

Post by adamtk »

Everything was flushed out and clean but didnt replace anything as far as im aware. Like i said bad expereience with a "cheap" mechanic.

Myself and a friend found a cheap bloke that had a unit doing repairs turns out he is useless so hvent a clue what has been done and hasnt in the servicing. Have to get it all checked out again i think.

Reallt appreciate all your advice gents!!
adamtk

Post by adamtk »

Just too add can anyone recomend some brake pads for the storm when i replace them?
Cheers