used high-miler?

General Bike chat
SILVTR

used high-miler?

Post by SILVTR »

i'm contemplating a 40k-mile used bike - fsh, not crashed/stolen, £2500. anyone any comments on the mileage, i.e - should it be a concern?
94 Corolla and a big goo for an R1150GS
Vstormer

Post by Vstormer »

I'm om 28k and sweet as can be and getting sweeter by the mile.
All you need is service history :wink:
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

The main thing to check is that valve clearances have been checked/adjusted properly and it's had regular oil changes, genuine filter etc. Also see if there have been any cam chain tensioner problems with it in the past. If you can test ride it, warm it up first then give it some welly in 2nd/3rd to about 9k with a mate riding behind you. If it smokes when you slam the throttle shut at high rpm the valve stem oil seals are probably on their way out.

Aside from that it's pretty much the usual stuff really.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
aussie twin

Re: used high-miler?

Post by aussie twin »

Mark Coleman wrote:i'm contemplating a 40k-mile used bike - fsh, not crashed/stolen, £2500. anyone any comments on the mileage, i.e - should it be a concern?
im up to 41000km had to replace cam chain tentioners, but bike still runs sweet and hammers.
SILVTR

Post by SILVTR »

Hi All, I've decided against that high-miler. For very little more money, I've found a 21,000-mile dealer bike (some may say even that's high?) with loads of goodies on it, and he's doing a great price. I'm never really concerned with mileage - I bought an FJ1200 with 36,000 up and took it to 76,000 in 4 years - she was the same at 76k as 36k. All going well, I'll be collecting my VTR Feb 7 or Feb 14. Incidentally, I'm in Dublin, buying the bike in England, and saving about €1600 over what I'd pay in Ireland, even after paying VRT, and boat over/back! Can't wait! "Like a big child", as my wife's fortune teller said...
aussie twin

Post by aussie twin »

i know how you feel, iwas just like you when i was getting mine.
had to wait two days it was like two weeks. :D
Proudest Monkey

Post by Proudest Monkey »

Like me having to wait a full 8 days b4 i can get my new Staintunes installed :cry: :cry:
She's Matte black and FULL-O-BEAUTY
and now sounding sweeter than ever with the new High Rise StainTunes :D

http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/displa ... StainTunes
Neophyte

One day...

Post by Neophyte »

Well, when I bought mine I just had to have it the same day. Finance was pre-approved though and insurance organized. It was also about a 300km round trip with the car and trailer. Got there at 11:30, went for test ride, signed relevant papers, waited for bank and insurance to say all's ok and left by 17:30. Cool heh? So I can fully understand the anticipation.
SILVTR

Post by SILVTR »

Got It! Flew DUB - LPL on Saturday 14 Feb, mate collected me & drove me to dealer. Did the paperwork & rode to mate's house for grub. Thought bars were low, seat high (like sitting on the bike rather than in it, like my old FJ), but power delivery and sound more than make up for it. I love it. Rode from Liverpool to Holyhead for ferry to Dublin. Loved it! A great little adventure. Can't describe the sound. You guys all know already, but nice as it sounds at standstill, it's on the move that the sound really becomes addictive - I was nearly accelerating for the noise more than the speed, even with earplugs in! Thanks to John for all his help, and to my lovely wife Niamh for my cool valentine pressie! Sappy, eh? I'VE FOUND MY MOJO!