storm cut out

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Jazzscot

storm cut out

Post by Jazzscot »

looking to pick brains here, took the storm for a run tonight. Went to rugby training just after tea time 30 mile run no probs at all. Came home and on the 28th mile while doing 85 mph it starts losing power (like running out of fuel) droped down the gears but still no power, pull in the clutch engine cuts out, let it freewheel for about 100m then press the starter an she fires up no probs, manage to ride the final 2 miles with no probs. Still plenty fuel in the tank no reserve light on etc.

Anybody got any thoughts??????

Jazz
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
warby221

Re: storm cut out

Post by warby221 »

Sounds like a split or lose vacuum pipe to me but as mike said its def fuel starvation
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Or a bit of wate in the tank. Have you washed a recently?
Hate intermittant stuff this. A bike should either be faulty or not faulty :evil:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Another thing to check is the fuel tap diaphragm.
Ride Safe
Phil
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

will keep you guys posted, I aint had the tank off but yes I did wash her earlier in the week first time she has done it. As I was losing power I was thinking to myself **** Ill need to pushed her home :mad2 but as she fired up again I thought thank ****. Notice I call the bike her, cause im sure she is female temperamental and does what she want when she wants too, expecting me not to say anything about it :shh: .

Jazz
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

Jazzscot wrote: Notice I call the bike her, cause im sure she is female temperamental and does what she want when she wants too, expecting me not to say anything about it :shh: .

Jazz
AHHAHAHAHAHHA
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

Yep, bet it's the fuel tap diaphragm as PhilVT said.

Went on mine doing EXACTLY the same thing. Over 70mph it dies and you need to freewheel for a bit and gun it. Dont spend £200 from Honda - go to NRP.

http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/honda_fuel_t ... ir_kit.htm

better price me thinks!!
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

I'm a little confused.com now. I had the storm out for a run again today seeing as it was a lovely day up here in sunny Scotland. Anyway filled her with fuel as I did on Thursday and went to play rugby. Funnily enough it was an away game but it was more or less the same mileage as I did on thursday. The run there was as it should be no probs plenty of power etc on the way home at exactly the same spot as thursday she splutters and cuts out I freewheel her into a layby and as im slowing engage 1st and let clutch out she fires up again no probs and ride home plenty of revs plenty of power etc.

The mileage was almost the same the duel carrageway where she cuts out is about 2 miles long and it goes onto a steepish hill and this is the point where she cuts out.

This raises a couple of ideas in my head. Is there a valve that kicks into reserve tank etc??? and might this be causing a problem. I still dont have a fuel warning light on yet.

I might fill her up tomorrow and see if she can come up the hill with a full tank of pertol then i can eliminate that she dont like hills as the problem. other than that it was a brill ride today, pity we lost the rugby though.

Any more thoughts?????

Jazz
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Nope, no reserve tank. You got what you got, just a gauge to let you know when it gets a bit low.
Strap a petrol container onto the back and run it dry- that way you'll know when the reserve light comes on (if it does) and how far you can get on reserve.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

The fuel warning light does come on, but I was meaning it was nt on when the bike cut out. Just seems a coincedence that it has cut out on the same bit of road at around the 70 mile mark on the tripometer.

Jazz
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Sounds like what happened with Grant (Silentjewel) the time he came out with us,and that turned out to be the fuel tap diaphragm.

Also make sure all hoses are in the correct places under the tank,as it's very easy to get this wrong,a few on the forum have done just that ,......... just incase the previous owner of the bike has mistakenly put them on wrong place :!:
Stevie
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Cheers Stevie I have a look at the tank pipes tomorrow.

Jazz
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

just a thought, if it is the fuel tap diaphram why does it work fine all on the time apart from when the bike has done 70 miles on a trip
???
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

Hi JazzScott,
It wasn't the mileage for me it was the SPEED. As soon as i went over 70mph, the fuel is forced through the diaphragm and also through the split, allowing more than usual through. This caused the engine to be enrichened too much and to cut out. Occassionally it would just cut virtually all power and when I pulled in the clutch i could rev it and then it would recover.

Replaced the diaphragm and it's been running fine since...
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Cheers for the info guys I think I have solved the problem. There is a tear in the diaphram washer as pointed out by you super people. I will order a new one tomorrow. :thumbup:

Jazz
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good