R6 to VTR???

General Bike chat
aphex

R6 to VTR???

Post by aphex »

Hi All

I own a 2002 R6 but am looking to change it for a V-Twin!! The firestorm always sounded like a great bike but i never liked the half-faired look, However............I have now discovered Mario Navas Bodywork :-)

I race on local Hill Climbs and Sprints for fun and love the odd trackday down in france!!

my questions really are, how does the VTR compare to an R6??

i just feel that My R6 lacks charachter (exept on track) and that i need something more enjoyable on sunny sundays too!!

i know you all obviously rate the VTR, but is it a good bike for racing too??

many thanks

Aphex
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

call rodger ditchfield at revolution racing.... as they deal with racing vtrs
he is the main man in the know for all things vtr :wink:
Don Denmark

Post by Don Denmark »

Dos this Rodger have a website?

aphex>>>yep i have discovered Mario Navas Bodywork to :P :P :P
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I switched from a YZF600R to the Storm for similar reasons ie. lack of character from a transverse four. If you go V-twin, be prepared to relearn some of your riding and getting used to way more torque and engine braking. I find the power way more useable on the VTR, as it kicks in early, and the midrange power is excellent as well. I also like not having to shift as often as with a four cylinder.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Aphex
It all depends on what you want out of your bike. In your case definatley try befor you buy. The VTR is bigger and porkier than an R6 and not so track orientated, But on the other hand it's lovley to ride and has bags of torque so your not screaming the nuts off it to make it move.
There's plenty of after market bits about so you can personalise it.ie handling/looks and although the tanks no too big it's still comfy enough to do some serious miles on in a day.

Pete.l

Go On.....you know you want one really :wink:
DD

Post by DD »

Sounds like you realy want the SP1 or SP2 :twisted:
cheers Darryl
scottVTR

Post by scottVTR »

After riding an R6 don't ride a VTR in the same manner... there is soo much more power down low than an R6. I've riden a friends R6 and was surprised how little there is down low, of course once your over 8K it starts pulling hard then above 10K just try and hang on, totally different delivery.
aphex

thanks to all

Post by aphex »

Well thanks to everyone for the useful replies, i am away travelling at the moment but when i get home, im definatley blagging a go on my friends storm, sounds like a great bike to ride and low down power is more my kinda thing so i reckon im gonna like it!! and if so then i,ll probably invest and be back on this chatboard in no time!!!

Cheers

Aphex