Removing fairings.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
JIMMYJAMES

Removing fairings.

Post by JIMMYJAMES »

I am just about to do some investagative work on my storm's rattle and was wondering if there is an easy way to remove the fairings? I only have to remove the clutch cover and the thermostat housing. So far i have removed the crash bobbin and as many of the screws as i can get to but its solid. I can get to the bolts for the thermostat housing and the cover by slightly bending the fairing away, would that surfice? I have a right angle hex driver which is really low profile to do the job but if the bolts are excessively long i might struggle removing them.

The other question is the oil: Can i get away with drainging a litre or so rather than the whole lot? When the bike is on the side stand it doesn't show in the window. I realise if i bring the bike upright it will be messy but i have only just serviced the bike.

Thanks in advance people!
Red (the fastest colour) 98 Storm, APE CCT's ART Titanium high level cans, Airblade smoked double bubble screen and the shopping list is still growing!
Wicky

Re: Removing fairings.

Post by Wicky »

To remove complete fairing totally ( 5 minute job)

Remove mirrors
Remove either side the two allen fasteners on fairing panels
Remove (if fitted) the two awkward plastic fasteners (part no 40 on the link) on the inside/bottom of the fairing panels (I've given up trying to reuse/replace the shi!!y things)
Unclip headlamp connector
Put a towel or sumfink over the front mudguard, to protect it whilst you support fairing in one hand while fiddling with last fastnings.
Carefully jiggle the fairing forward until it slips off the knobby guides around the headlamp , and careful with the panels as they catch on the radiators.
Disconnect the secondary riding light
Yank it all off and put fairing unit somewhere safe where you can't tread on it or it gets blown away.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Mod ... Group/COWL
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
JIMMYJAMES

Post by JIMMYJAMES »

Thanks Wicky, your a star! I will crack on again tomorrow, ran out of light today :(
Red (the fastest colour) 98 Storm, APE CCT's ART Titanium high level cans, Airblade smoked double bubble screen and the shopping list is still growing!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

And while you're there make up up links for the secondary riding light wiring to extend it about 200mm.
It makes it so much easier to remove the fairing single-handed without scraping paint on the rads trying to hold it one-handed while disconnecting the riding light.

You can tuck it away easily once the fairing's back on.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote:And while you're there make up up links for the secondary riding light wiring to extend it about 200mm.
It makes it so much easier to remove the fairing single-handed without scraping paint on the rads trying to hold it one-handed while disconnecting the riding light.

Now why didn't I think of that :!: Another top tip from you Tony :thumbup:

Chris.
JIMMYJAMES

Post by JIMMYJAMES »

Thanks chaps, its all of ready for the big strip tomorrow :clap:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

sirch345 wrote:
tony.mon wrote:And while you're there make up up links for the secondary riding light wiring to extend it about 200mm.

Now why didn't I think of that :!: Another top tip from you Tony :thumbup:

Chris.
Yeah, I'm full of good ideas.
It's a wonder that mine's wrecked and off the road, really..... :silent:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

I might be a little late but why remove signals either just undo the clips and wires. no unbolting needed.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

No need to drain any oil either if only removing the clutch cover and the bike is on the sidestand. Note the Clutch cover has little tabs for prying off so you don't damage the casing where it seals. One is on the left near the rearset/ swingarm and the other is at the top at around 1 o clock position :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

"Remove (if fitted) the two awkward plastic fasteners (part no 40 on the link) on the inside/bottom of the fairing panels (I've given up trying to reuse/replace the shi!!y things)"

This thread started with Jimmy J wanting to get the fairing off in order to trace a rattle. Well I think I've traced my annoying rattle over bumps to this fastening on LHS. The fastener is there, but doesn't tighten fully, allowing the fairing to move maybe 5mm and it scrapes the edge of the aftermarket belly panel. I'm hoping a cable tie might be all I need to fix this.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I gave up using the pesky plastic retainers for the side fairing panels and I've never had a rattle from them. You can get em from Halfords or try the cable tie and see if it sorts it out.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

mines been cable tied for 3 years and never rattles :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: