Brake Caliper Upgrade

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
rob...

Re: Brake Caliper Upgrade

Post by rob... »

muppet wrote:Just came across this link, tell me have you any experience with running a single front disc setup on the storm, ive removed one on the dragbike and the brake lever is very hard with no feel, you really have to squeeze i,t so im thinking i need to change the caliper or mc to get the correct ratio ? any idea's cheapest option .
buy a caliper and matching m/cyl from a crosser off e-bay and make up an adaptor plate for the caliper, should save a bit more weight, too.
it's not like you need to do emergency stops on a dragstrip....
When subjected to an electrical voltage of at least 50 volts, a cat's tail always points toward the north.
nora2004

Post by nora2004 »

Grab a M/C from a Cagiva Mito or Aprilia Rs125, should do the trick Id imagine!
KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

with regards to the gentle filing of the fork leg to clear the caliper.

is there any reason why no one has made the mounting points look the same? as in machine the bottom mount point to look like the top one to sake ruining a nicely anodised set of calipers?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

KarlosVTR wrote:with regards to the gentle filing of the fork leg to clear the caliper.

is there any reason why no one has made the mounting points look the same? as in machine the bottom mount point to look like the top one to sake ruining a nicely anodised set of calipers?
if you have access to a milling machine, and are good with it, then you could do exatly what you propose, but I dont and I wouldnt want to look at it every day if it was not perfect, so that is why I kept the outer lip in the standard profile.
AMcQ
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

I for one moaned that the standard calipers were useless but the main problem is maintenance,unless the pistons are spotlessly clean you will definitely have at least one sticking .I clean mine at least every two thousand miles and can tell every time.If you haven't then you cannot blame the brakes.I do not like having to do it but that is the price of having two finger power brakes.With the calipers unbolted and pads removed pumping on the lever
will show any culprits.Pump out each piston 10mm and clean.The lever should come solid within half inch of travel.If done regularly the whole job takes no more than twenty minutes.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I agree, that is the 1st thing you should do if you think the brakes aren't good enough, and also to fit new pads.

However, even after full strip, clean, new seals, new pads, braided hoses, I didn't get the braking performance I was looking for, so I went for the bigger calipers and correct master cyl used on other hondas and it is night & day improvement.

New brakes and uprated fork springs transforms the bike under braking :thumbup:
AMcQ
jonacol

Post by jonacol »

Old thread alert!
I'm just getting back into storm ownership, gradually fettling one which has decent suspension and most of the other easy mods done already. It has standard brakes but I'm going to swap to the F4 calipers and m cylinder shortly. Just wondered if there is any benefit of using a radial m cyl while I'm at it? The ZX10 has a 16mm radial and they not too expensive, just thought whilst I'm messing about I'd go for gold.
ta
JonC
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Radial MC's are supposed to be more efficient and your proposed part has a 16mm piston, so it is close to the F4i from a hydraulic ratio...so looks a good option.

The one bit of the equation that we dont know is what is the mechanical leverage ratio, ie distance from lever pivot to the point of actuation to the piston. These will effect the lever feel [Stiff lever with short travel vs softer lever with a longer stroke].

Suggest you should give it a go, I think it will work fine.... and if possible give me the measurement of the lever features
AMcQ
Stormer Dave

Post by Stormer Dave »

Whats the word then guys for the lazy layman?

What is the best noticable set-up?

Do you need to change wheels and all that stuff as well? Interested as just getting my forks back from Roger.....

Dave
:clap: complex personalities lead you to v-twin happiness......if you can get to turn in.......that is.....
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Just get the caliper and m/c off the early cbr600 and only a small mod required is to get a bit of clearance between the bottom fork mount and the caliper. See the pictures earlier in the thread for instructions
AMcQ
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

Another question for a lazy layman...

Do the Storm pads fit the CBR calipers, and does the Storm lever fit the CBR MC? I've just swapped my pads and could do without buying another set and have an adjustable lever on my storm already and could do without buying another one of them too lol

Sorry if its a repeat question(s)!!
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Snoogle wrote:Another question for a lazy layman...

Do the Storm pads fit the CBR calipers, and does the Storm lever fit the CBR MC? I've just swapped my pads and could do without buying another set and have an adjustable lever on my storm already and could do without buying another one of them too lol

pads no
lever yes
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

lloydiecbr wrote:
Snoogle wrote:Another question for a lazy layman...

pads no
lever yes
Correct
AMcQ
Stormer Dave

Post by Stormer Dave »

AMcQ,

Did you change the MC as well then as your figures suggest leaving the stock VTR MC in place for the leverage ratio?

Not many f4i cali's in uk it seems and tons of basement (plus import tax I guess) from the states, just seen as set with mc for £40.

Dave
:clap: complex personalities lead you to v-twin happiness......if you can get to turn in.......that is.....
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

I now can't see the spreadsheet as I'm at work...

How well does the CBR MC work with the Storm Calipers? Would it give good feeling but give worse braking effect?
(Once again if this question has already been answered I apologise!!)

Actually scrap that, I've just seen how cheap the CBR pads are....now I need to set up a sniper lol :thumbup:
A head full of fears has no room for dreams