How to repack a Micron

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sproutout

How to repack a Micron

Post by sproutout »

Any advice on how to repack a round Micron Race Can(older version than the current ones)>>>take the end cap off and your left with the baffle and a big steel ring (for the end cap to bolt to)>>> do they unscrew or pull out or what>>>there is no packing in there at all..

Cans are so loud now that cars keep slamming the brakes on incase something just fell off their car, they're becoming a liability and the BS stamps fooling no one.

Thanks..
Too much ambition results in promotion to a job you cant do!!!
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Sound like the same cans i've got, if so, i was able (dunno if it's the right way) to gently tap out the whole baffles with a rubber mallet. watch the rubber seals though they are a bit flimsy.

Then you can re-pack to you heatrs content, and then gently tap them back into place.

That's what i did anyhoo..... :roll:
sproutout

Post by sproutout »

Thanks - figured it out - just pull the carbon sleeve off from around the baffles..
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

Phone micron they sell the repack kits for around £30 which includes new bolts & washers etc but the baffle wadding is a bugger to get it all back into the carbon tubes i used metal tape as used for joining heating duct pipes worked great & kept it all together until it was assembled.
sproutout

Post by sproutout »

Thanks for the tip - will give them a call (Demon Tweeks do just the packing for £14.95)
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

I bought just the packing material from M&P for somewhere between £5.00-£7.00 per can.....
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

essexbloke wrote:I bought just the packing material from M&P for somewhere between £5.00-£7.00 per can.....
Ooops .... i just noticed your post there. Thought I'd better let you know that those microns cave only done about 3-4k miles since I last re-packed them!

Alan.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Alan,

I don't think he has done them as his bike is in me garage, I'll pass it on when I give him his bike back. He's just had a 20k service, new side stand, scott oiler, a set of modified cct's, carb balance, a set of head bearings, a back tyre etc etc.

Del.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

While we're on the servicing subject, the rear calliper on my Bandit is doing my head in. It's an underslung one and the pads are held in with two pins and the pins held in with a retaining pin.

Anyway, the pins are stuck in place where they are retained in holes in the inner side of the calliper body. Unfortunatly the holes are not drilled right through to I cant even nock the pins out from the other side.

Any advice on how I may get the pins out without braking anything??

Al.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Al,

wot year and size is it and I'll ask me mate who builds/sells bandit for a living, he will know for sure.

Del.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Del,

It's a year 2000 revised 600 Bandit ( I belive the rear calliper is the same on all years though )

Al.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Ok Al,

I'll ask and might even be able to get a complete caliper if it's cheap enough if repairing isn't an option.

Del.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I was begining to think that may be an option so do let me know! :D
simon t

Post by simon t »

I had a similar problem of a bent pin/blind hole (sounds pervy) on a hang glider component believe it or not. Solved by drilling a tiny hole through the back and inserting a small pin (getting pervier) to drive out the bigger one. Is this a possibility on your caliper? Apologies if you're vastly more mechanically competent than me and have already ruled this out.
Si
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

simon t wrote:I had a similar problem of a bent pin/blind hole (sounds pervy) on a hang glider component believe it or not. Solved by drilling a tiny hole through the back and inserting a small pin (getting pervier) to drive out the bigger one. Is this a possibility on your caliper? Apologies if you're vastly more mechanically competent than me and have already ruled this out.
Si
I've been considering that myself!