Cat & Fiddle

General Biker Banter
ChrisC

Cat & Fiddle

Post by ChrisC »

Heard on the News this morning that work begins this weekend to erect
speed cameras on the total length of the A537 Cat & Fiddle...As is the norm
the BBC announcer claimed they are being put there due to the overwhelming evidence that the road is dangerous because of the amount of bikers killed or injured on it every year. Well if that's the case, they should come and have a look at the state of the bloody roads around Lancashire and (elsewhere for that matter) with the amount of patched surfaces, poorly positioned manhole covers, potholes, debries,speed humps...(a personal favourate of mine) etc..
I wonder if the highways agency's answer will be to stick up a few more cameras.....Because lets face it "POTHOLES DO NOT GENERATE MONEY"
do they!!!!!!!!!

I'll have a little rest now Ride safe girls
tony.mon

Re: Cat & Fiddle

Post by tony.mon »

Down this way the potholes are getting deep enough so that a sawn-off speed camera would just about fill it nicely.

Just a a thought....... :wink2
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Sorry to say it but the Fiddle went to poo some time ago imo.

I don't like riding up that way. It's much the same with the Snake Pass, Sherburn Run etc, etc...

A minority of riders always ruin it initially and then the Police/Local Authority put the final nail in the coffin. You also tend to get bent over by anyone with a food/beverage dispensary in the locality.

I just find other places to ride now and many are just as enjoyable without having to pay £1.50 for a tea, £3.00 for a bacon sarny or a quid for a Mars bar. The added risk of having a speeding ticket/fine pushed on top by a camera or a copper rules out certain places, such as A537, and makes quieter roads a better option imo :)

Just my thoughts.

Oh yeah, the potholes are ridic :evil: with what I was reading the other day, when you see the potholes remember that UK Bankers will be paid the equivalent of the combined road maintenance budget for every county in England :crazy:
SP1's rock!
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Just came into my head.......FAT CAT & FIDDLE.....words that go to gether well
if your a U.K.banker...or ..FAT TW....& FIDDLE....even better .Think I'll write to local MP and Road Tax office ...see about a rebate.........Fat chance !

DISGRUNTLED of Eccleston
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

ChrisC wrote:Heard on the News this morning that work begins this weekend to erect
speed cameras on the total length of the A537 Cat & Fiddle...As is the norm
the BBC announcer claimed they are being put there due to the overwhelming evidence that the road is dangerous because of the amount of bikers killed or injured on it every year. Well if that's the case, they should come and have a look at the state of the bloody roads around Lancashire and (elsewhere for that matter) with the amount of patched surfaces, poorly positioned manhole covers, potholes, debries,speed humps...(a personal favourate of mine) etc..
I wonder if the highways agency's answer will be to stick up a few more cameras.....Because lets face it "POTHOLES DO NOT GENERATE MONEY"
do they!!!!!!!!!

I'll have a little rest now Ride safe girls

Couldn't agree more and the whole "safety camera" thing is now getting ridiculous. Who allowed the road budget to get used on building humps in the middle of the road, most of which the white warning chevrons have now worn off. Someone will get killed as result of either the holes, the surface or one of the humps. Not one political party is in the least interested though. For the first time in nearly 40 years I find I cannot bring myself to vote this year.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Frontslide

Post by Frontslide »

The cameras being fitted on the C&F are average speed cameras, does anyone know what the minimum distance is that they would test your speed over? coz if you can average 50mph on the section from the pub to Macc your going to be having reet good fun :biggrin
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

I think they're the newer version of SPECS type camera's too.

Not only do they measure your average speed these are rear facing.

They'll record your average over the entire distance they're situated. The older versions only work in pairs iirc.
SP1's rock!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Jbrebel wrote:I think they're the newer version of SPECS type camera's too.

They'll record your average over the entire distance they're situated. The older versions only work in pairs iirc.

Shame, really.
Because now you have to cut them all down, not just one in each pair.
But I'm back to the old French Motorway trick, of doing the last few hundred yards before a camera at walking pace, just to be sure.

if you do this you can ride like a complete butt everywhere else. :thumbup:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

tony.mon wrote:
Jbrebel wrote:I think they're the newer version of SPECS type camera's too.

Shame, really.
Because now you have to cut them all down, not just one in each pair.
But I'm back to the old French Motorway trick, of doing the last few hundred yards before a camera at walking pace, just to be sure.

if you do this you can ride like a complete butt everywhere else. :thumbup:
Can you though - I really don't know, but if you went past one at a ton, then stopped for a minute (or whatever) would that actually work or will they also act like a normal Gatso as well?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

So basically you're bolloxed :D

Or, don't bother speeding/riding up there :thumbup: :wave:
SP1's rock!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

These new cameras they are installing are actually activated by bikes, they can track top and average speed. Big article in the MCN some time ago (it is MCN though so I may be talking poo :roll: ). There really are some t**ts on the fiddle though. If I do ride to Matlock I back right off 20 miles out. Far too many revenue generators and blummin helicopters! Real shame its a beautiful area.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

mcn a few weeks ago confirmed these cameras are being installed on all favourite bike routes :thumbsdown:
agree with the amount of tits riding on c&f, you risk getting hit head on as well as falling off.

just thought id point out that twice ive been stopped for not wearing a number plate.
first time it had genuinely fell off and i got let off with a warning.
second time i took it off and just left a broken corner attached, got fined £30, but still better than £60 and 3 points, or a ban.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Beamish wrote: Big article in the MCN some time ago (it is MCN though so I may be talking poo :roll: )
That'll be this then? Some interesting comments at the bottom-and some non discript crap too :)
SP1's rock!
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Doh :x

That'll be em Tim!
SP1's rock!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

No this was months ago when they were speculating on the measures that were to be enforced (trying to cause a reaction from the readers me thinks). That seems more accurate to be honest.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'