Who recommends which ISP?

General Biker Banter
sirch345
Site Admin

Who recommends which ISP?

Post by sirch345 »

OK guy's which Internet Service Provider do you use and would recommend :thumbup:

I'm with BT (Option 1 up to 10GB per mth allowance) atm and must say they have been very good over the last 4 yrs.

Cheers,

Chris.
marravtr

Re: Who recommends which ISP?

Post by marravtr »

im with sky, in a package with tv, phone, costs me £5 a month for 10mb (whatever the feck a megabyte is) :?
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
gilson

Post by gilson »

Virgin cable. I always thought it's better for online gaming as it's not an "on demand" service like ADSL. I think that this promotes lag...

Not an expert though...
No bike (yet).
geodude

Post by geodude »

Virgin cable 20mb. Great for gaming. Been with them since way back when they were Cable & Wireless, then NTL and now Virgin.

Not too many problems with them. Went through 5 set to boxes (STB) when cable used to go through them. I burnt out the modems built into them due to leaving the STB on all the time. Since installing the stand alone modem, no major problems.

Most of the tech support you deal with though are complete tools!
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks guy's for taking the trouble to post :thumbup:

I've heard so many bad things from Tiscali and Talk Talk Internet Services in the past (although I believe now Tiscali has been bought out by T/T) I have always given them both a wide birth. The strange thing is if I ever ask anyone who's switched to T/T now I always seem to get "their service is fine, I've not had a problem yet" and you Tim say the same, so perhaps I should put them on the list for consideration.

I can't put Virgin cable on the possible list as we don't have it yet. One of the draw back for living down here I suppose.

Chris.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

I really should think about changing,i'm with Orange ,and have been since i got my 1st pc around 7 years ago.
Internet only and i pay £17.99 month. (I think) :!:

I always stayed with them through Freeserve ,Wannadoo and now Orange ,cos ive never had a problem ,and sometimes ,for the sake of a pond or two ,it's just not worth the hassle of switching over to another provider.

:mad2 :mad2
Edit :x not wishing to swear ,...................but ffs ,i've just checked my account ,and i've been paying £19.99 month 8O ,and i get my internet and that's all. (i think up to 8gb)

Seems i could get a lot more for my money for what i pay monthly. That's got me thinking......
Stevie
rumpleforeskin

Post by rumpleforeskin »

If your looking for a good value ISP its better to check a price comparison site because no matter which company you choose its will still be using the same lines and street boxs. so price is really the only difference between them. with the exception of virgin media

Virgin uses its own fibre optic network and is the only ISP that actually delivers its advertised bandwith (instead of the UPTO whatever speed offered by others)
it also gives consistantly low ping, which may matter alot if your a gamer (any TF2 playes???)

only downside with virgin is they will restrict your speed if you are a really heavy downloader during the day (i.e. you have a wooded leg/parrot and steal hollywoods entire back catalog from dubious internet sites)
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

never had a problem with virgin - even when it was ntl.
get a good steady 20meg usually, sometimes higher.
only problem is, i pay monthly and they always ring and threaten to cut me off, the day before it's due to be paid by dd. every fkin month.
gets a bit tedious.
but apart from that ive never had a technical problem.

not had a warning about heavy downloads ever, and some days it's over 5 - 8gb and the rest thanks to miro :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
motorboat

Post by motorboat »

O2 broadband for me, been with them for 12 months with no issue 8MB with unlimited downloads (Fair usage bla bla) for £7.50 a month. If you go through quidco there doing £70 cashback for new customers and the forst 3 months free. I think that means there actually paying you to use their braodband for the year :) Modem included etc.

That being said if I was in a cable area id have that in the drop of a hat.
Pop, pop, bang, bang!