Storm or ZX7R

General Bike chat
Mick B

Storm or ZX7R

Post by Mick B »

Need some help fellas.

My storm is my life and love the ride that goes with a V Twin :thumbup: . But it is P reg 21,000 mls on the clock and I have been offered another bike. It is a Y reg ZX7R in black with 12,000 mls and 1 previous owner. It is a newer bike than mine and obviously its going to cost me a grand and my bike to change.The guy has told me how much a better performer it is to my trusty storm.

Am I mad :think: to even think it as my bike is mint but the newer bike is pulling me towards an inline 4.

I am worried it would fall to bits with been a Kawasaki :mrgreen:

I know the answers that are coming but anyone experienced both bikes
Jbrebel

Re: Storm or ZX7R

Post by Jbrebel »

Having only ridden/owned a storm I couldn't compare like for like.

However, if I had to have a 750 IL4, the kwak it would be. You'll miss the VTwin grunt I reckon. I notice the difference when I ride my mates blade. They just produce there power in totally different ways.

I'd take a test ride defo :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

i had the zx7r...... for about 3 weeks, 8O it was a killer on my back and wrists!!! fast as feck and just loved its neck being rung! :twisted: loves the twistys, fun while it lasted but my body couldnt cope :roll: lol, then i found my love of twins and never looked back :biggrin take it for a blat and see what you think
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
donk

Post by donk »

Go for the kwacker!!

I have just bought a 2001 y reg zx6r in green and black.

She has been in dry storage since 2002 has 4k on the clock, full history, 1 owner and looks like she has just come out of the factory. :biggrin

Completly standard and not been messed with!!
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

Mick B wrote: But it is P reg 21,000 mls on the clock and I have been offered another bike. It is a Y reg ZX7R in black with 12,000 mls and 1 previous owner. It is a newer bike than mine and obviously its going to cost me a grand and my bike to change.The guy has told me how much a better performer it is to my trusty storm.

Am I mad :think: to even think it as my bike is mint but the newer bike is pulling me towards an inline 4.

I am worried it would fall to bits with been a Kawasaki :mrgreen:

I know the answers that are coming but anyone experienced both bikes
I had a 7R before the 'Storm - loved it - and the only reason I'm not on one now is my broken back!

I love the 7R, the wailing howl as it hits the rev limiter, wonderful Kawasaki gruffness - and it has the most fantastic front end - there is nothing that compares to it!

Pop by the Redmonkey site and say Hi http://www.redmonkey.com/7r (I mod the site - so fill in your profile) You will get a world of knowledge, advice and pisstaking.... :clap:

I envy you having the chance to own one! :whatever

(oh and it won't fall to bits - it'll do moon miles)
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

Oh, and I had a ZXR750H2 before that....

Even in a huge smash, she stood me well:
Last edited by cliveyandrews on Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

gilson

Post by gilson »

WAIT! My experience is this, somewhat different from other bikers as I didn't ride bikes from when I was 16.

My first bike was a BMWR1150GS used for commuting 90 miles a day. Loved the thing... Then I wanted some revs, so bought a ZX7R. Nice bike, looks lovely but I quickly realised that I didn't like revs. Compared to a big V-twin, like a VTR (or GS), it takes effort to ride.

I took The ZX7R around Cadwell, my first track day and was always in the wrong gear and it took so much concentration to be in the right gear I missed the apex, infact I almost missed the entire turn once.... anyway, the same day I had a go on a standard VTR and I felt like I reduced my lap times by 30seconds! ;-) It allowed me to concentrate on turning the corner properly rather than worrying what gear I was in, (as you know, the VTR has grunt low down so easy!)

Sorry, but my message basically boils down to this. If you like revs and wringing the neck off something everywhere (there's no acceleration to speak of below 9K revs) then get a ZX7R. If you were brought up on the two stroke, then you'll enjoy this and you'll love the bike as it's a good one.

Whatever you decide, enjoy it!

I hope this has helped, but I'm a V-twin man... I feel like I'm hurting the beast if I have to rev it so much! ;-)
No bike (yet).
snipper

Post by snipper »

like gilson said

if you like the sound of a cat been strangled go inline 4 :D

even the R1 i had i found off punting listening to it scream .... V twin for me :thumbup:
motorboat

Post by motorboat »

Ive had a few different IL4 and V2/4's and would say its purely horses for courses. I have a ZXR750 which i proffer over the VTR but thats just becasue you can ride it like a hooligan. That must be a J2 (ZX6R) you picked up mate? I loved mine (J1), had it fully tricked out, Akra full system, Gilles rearsets, K&N, Dynojet etc. That being said you will find yourself going up and down the gearbox constantly as theres no low end grunt. Hope this helps.
Pop, pop, bang, bang!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Personally I like grunt :thumbup: nuff said :thumbup:

Chris.