Hitting the ground running...learning VTRs personality

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
motorboat

Hitting the ground running...learning VTRs personality

Post by motorboat »

Well ive had it for a few days and theres already stuff going wrong or items being bought for preventative maintenance. The bike started fantastic when I bought it but within a few days ive started having starting issues. I did the following, rode home from buyer last Thursday, rode to work and back Saturday (Bout 10 miles), didnt use it till Tuesday morning, started ok, tried to start it to come home but spluttered like it had no charge. Turned the bike off waited 10 seconds back on and she fired up...phew!

I put the bike on the optimate last night and it seemed fairly low on charge, was doen to desulphate and then 0.2a charge rate. The power was showing as full this morning, started 1st time. When I went to go home again same problem, no joy on the first attempt, switched off/on used a tiny smidgeon of throttle and the started with a little fart out the back end. She was idling happy on the choke but making an ocassional clunking noise, revs drop, back to life again. It did this about 4 times. I pushed the choke in and it went away untill i got to the first set of lights and it happened once more, this time with the choke out. No issues to note getting home but after putting it on the charger again its low and charging at an extremely low rate. Now I did read the forum workshop so am in the process of procuring a R6 reg/rec. Does this sound like the normal problem? Really starting to annoy me this bike but im gonna dig deep :)
Pop, pop, bang, bang!
Darjm

Re: Hitting the ground running...learning VTRs personality

Post by Darjm »

If its a stock unfinned reg/rec on atm, then yea, get ur r1/r6 mod done asap.

It does sound like your bike aint charging the batt, or, the batt isnt holding much of a charge.

Once u get ur new reg/rec, u can check thats its charging, when bikes running, by using a volt meter. If it is and the battery still aint holding a charge, id suggest a new battery. Mine did exactly this. New battery sorted.

The clunking noise might be the bike firing on one cylinder occasionally. Mine did this when it was cold, but was fine after warming up. It would explain the loss of revs.
r4vtr

Post by r4vtr »

also worth checking the lead to the startermoter its right at the front n gets coverd in crap give it a good clean n cover it in copper grease to keep if fresh
97 model ,black, plus 2 rear sprocket ,double bubble screen ,rentec sports rack.......much more to come
motorboat

Post by motorboat »

Cheers for that advice all, ill look into gettting one bought asap. There are a few on ebay at the moment so ill get one sorted. I wont be using the bike untill all this is sorted so rest usured next time I ride I should be a lot happier! Why does no one do a fast post option on ebay anymore? lol
Pop, pop, bang, bang!
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Just to double check that the RR is had it, if you have a multimeter, when the bike is running pop it on the terminals of the battery and you should be getting a voltage read out of about 13.7 on idle and 14.5 volts when revving the bike.
If its is above that then don't use it as storms have sealed batteries and if over charged for long periods they will pop, cause the gas being discharged has to go somewhere.
Mine was charging at over 19volts and when it was in the garage for the carbs being balanced(because I thought the poping and farting was due to carbs out of balance) the guy said it sounded like a jacuzzi with the seat off. He said I was luck cause hot Sulphuric acid ain't nice.

I bought a new battery as well as a new after market RR, never looked back. and the happy end to the story is the other battery has been recovered and living happily in my cupboard on my acumen charger.
motorboat

Post by motorboat »

Cheers mate, inspiration ahoy :) Am I right in thinking im looking at at least £40 for a replacement battery?
Pop, pop, bang, bang!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Check prices on David Silvers, Wemoto and E-Bay.
See the recent post re upgrade to a 14 amp-hour one, small mod necessary but better starting.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
motorboat

Post by motorboat »

Thanks bud, ive just noticed my ZXR750 has the same battery in so I might have to run off that one for a short while, been a growingly expensive month :eek2 lol
Pop, pop, bang, bang!
motorboat

Post by motorboat »

Well, im gonna do the CCT's tonight with the help of Collywog (More the opposite way round really haha!). Also I bought an R6 regulator/rectifier so ill nip to the market today and get some spade crimps and a soldering iron. Wish me luck!
Pop, pop, bang, bang!
MarkHunt

Post by MarkHunt »

Hi All,

Just as an aside, I did my R/R over the weekend, wasn't going to bother as my bike had the newer finned VTR R/R.

Popped the block connector off just for a look to find one of the spades burnt in the block and black melted material on the R/R contact, so the newer VTR R/R's ain't immune to cooking themselves.

Now it's got a lovely R6 one on, looks a treat and hopefully when I've assembled the rest of the bike it'll work fine and dandy.

Don't forget to 'tin' the ends of your wires with solder.

regards

Marky Mark
motorboat

Post by motorboat »

Aye mate mine was replaced last night too :)

Just a little write up on my experience last night :lol:

We got back to mine about 430 and rolled the bike out. The first job we did was to test the voltage coming out the battery (Been on the optimate for 2 days). It was about 14.2v but dipped when we twisted the throttle. I assume this means its dodgey? None the less I had a nice R6 one to put on. First things first though, CCT's. After getting the rear fairings off and the tank we started to deconstruct the airbox. Low and behold there was a nice (But dirty) K&N panel filter in there :) I got the hoover out with the fluffy extension bit (Ooo er!) and gave it a good clean till it looked like new. We followed the rest of the procedure and removed and fitted the rear CCT, no problems here at all, marker never moved so it was all good.

We then went on to replace the front, all lined up spot on when we removed the CCT the metalic end bit was lodged in the hole! Not knowing whether this would fall into the engine somewhere we spent a good 20 mins figuring how to get it out. After trying bottle nose pliers, scissors and other items we had no joy as there was no clearence to get it out. In the end it was a fingers in job and thankfully it came out. The CCT went in fine and it was time to put her back together.

We got it back together and tightened out sphincters for the crucial moment, low and behold she fired up no problem, no ticking, no tapping, no squeeling, good times! We then went to put the rec/rec on.The connectors to the existing reg/rec already had spades on and looked in descent nick so we used the existing fixings. I deliberately didnt charge the battery last night and rode it into work this morning so I guess we will see if she starts later, im not optimistic lol.

All in all a good learning experience and thanks to Collywog from this forum for doing the work, excellent :)
Pop, pop, bang, bang!
Darjm

Post by Darjm »

14.2 sounds about right. You will prbably be getting about that with ur R6 r/r

Point is, it would eventually fried. But now you should be ok. Good job on getting the little boot out, coulda been a bit of a longer job if that had fallen!

I also had the sphincter tigntening moment, when i hit the starter after changing mine. lol.

It wont be long before youve stripped the bike down to just the frame and engine, and lovingly greased all the bearings, and cleaned it all up, before putting it back again!
motorboat

Post by motorboat »

Deffo mate lol, im really starting to enjoy this bike a lot more. Ive deliberately not put it on the optimate for the last 48 hours and its started each time no problem really. Handles supprisingly well even with my crap tyres on, ive found filtering easier too athough I have been spoiled with a Supermoto in the past. All in all its getting good, just need some better rubber on and do a fluids (All round) and plugs replace.
Pop, pop, bang, bang!