benny's hedgehog...

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
marravtr

Re: benny's hedgehog...

Post by marravtr »

:clap: feckin result there matey, so an SP1's on the cards then aswell (you know ya want one!) :lol:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Just caught up on this post
:clap: Benny You're Bookin! :clap:

Looks like some really good progress Benny. Can't believe the speed you're getting her back into shape. :thumbup:
At this rate you'll be ready to go by next weekend :wink:
Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Timbo wrote: What would you have done if they said they would repair it? :) Ebay it all again :)
tbh timbo i'd rather fix it up myself - at least then i know ive not been shortchanged with iffy bodged parts. no dodgy plastic welds, no filler, no patched up 16L tank etc.
plan on doing the bits that tend to get left to the elements so it should be good for a few winters as long as i dont drop it again lol!

estimate from insurers was for 11 hours work, and i know for a fact that i would struggle to do a proper job in 40, plus it would probably be given to the apprentice.
quick dust over and hide the rest, he'll never know...
till i go over a cobbled street and all the filler falls out, carve up some bends and it won't do left handers - you know what i mean! :thumbdown:

picked up the other half of the fairing earlier for 25 notes! already primed and rubbed down.
already topcoated lol, and the seat, tail, mudguard and 1st coat on the left fairing.
just got to do the tank, belly and headlamp cowl now - looks fkin top if you ask me.
the white has made it look massive!
got the decals as well - they look great but the V2 90DOHC for the tail is missing :(

just an aside - for those who have a compressor in the garage... just got a smart little mini shotblaster from aldi for 9.99 - and a buffer for 12 = bargain!

*a sneaky peek :beer:
think it would look better with the frame in black tbh - anyone agree?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

benny wrote: think it would look better with the frame in black tbh - anyone agree?
:thumbup: from me :D
Ride Safe
Phil
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Benny,
You certainly are getting on with it. Sounds like you've had a result with the insurance etc :wink:
Glad too hear you checked the new tank with existing air filter and you've found no problems :thumbup:
It's looking great so far :thumbup:

Here's another link to a cut down airbox:-

http://www.ablett.jp/bikes/vtr/air_box_lid.htm

keep up the good work :D

Chris.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

sirch345 wrote:
Here's another link to a cut down airbox:-

http://www.ablett.jp/bikes/vtr/air_box_lid.htm
yeh that's the article i saw - doesn't appear to make much (if any) difference so i'll leave it as it is.
cba with the induction noise either - it's noisy enough at the back end with the vipers on lol
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Just caught up with you on this rebuild,looking good Benny. Won't be long before the hedgehog lives !
hope the injuries are looking as good
Regards ChrisC
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

ChrisC wrote:Just caught up with you on this rebuild,looking good Benny. Won't be long before the hedgehog lives !
hope the injuries are looking as good
Regards ChrisC
bikes not far off done bud, just got another coat to do on plastics and swap the subframe for the new one.
forgot to buy clear laquer tho so need to go shopping for some.
might just order it off flea bay cos the paint i got from there worked ouit cheap as crouton and it's nice quality simoniz stuff.
injuries? pffffft what injuries!

apart from it's not nice having hiccups with smashed ribs :silent:
so if anyone has some surefire cures i'd happily try them..
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Riding into a pothole at 60 mph....cured my " f*****g " hickups

Where have i heard that before? :D ....
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

ChrisC wrote:Riding into a pothole at 60 mph....cured my " f*****g " hickups

Where have i heard that before? :D ....
:shh: shhh!! i was only doing 30! ;) ;)

just tried clivey's plastic welding tip using cable ties - i am impressed = very easy :thumbup:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

respray is all done apart from belly pan which needed filler - took bloody ages to sand it down lol.
hope its just stress marks from the off but the paint was cracked to crouton. seemed to be only on the left side so i think it's crash damage - one of the brackets was quite bent as well.
just bothered in case the new paint starts to crack after a few weeks :think:
so far...

got it all shiny as fook, put a run in the tank with laquer :redface
then went to laquer the mudguard and accidentally picked up a can of off-white primer instead! :redface
got to rub it down again now :thumbdown:
still undecided on blacking the frame, fork legs, subframe and swing arm.
tbh i'd rather leave it til winter and get it all shotblasted and powder coating.
cba doing a botch job spraying the frame with the engine still in... plus if i take it out now it'll be months before i'm riding it again :thumbdown:

saw something that worried me a bit today tho, while i was fitting the new timing cover...
there are contact marks where the flywheel has been scuffing the stator :eek2
there wasn't enough damage to the casing in this crash to bend the crank, but i'm wondering if it was done by a previous owner, or if anyone else has noticed similar marks?
there is no untoward vibration at any rev range really so i dunno, maybe last time it was crashed the stator got pushed into the flywheel?? any ideas???

the wheels are staying silver for now until i get the next set of tyres, but i might do the disc inners and hugger yet.
seems a shame to spray over the carbon pattern tho!

i looked at that VIC cert that someone mentioned to put a cat c back on the road.
they just need to prove it's identity, as in vin and engine number etc, and want to see that damage has been repaired, but they don't inspect the quality of the repairs :confused
(thank crouton lol!)
so i'll have to print out receipts for all the new parts (if i have them) and also as the assessor listed bottom yoke, i can show them the breaker's marker on the existing one, seeing as it isn't damaged, and tell them i bought a new one from a breaker's yard :thumbup:

bad news... i'm in work tomorrow lol - still signed off for a week but going in just to potter round the office and sniff some skirt :thumbup:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

as you can see it's coming along really well! :lol:

it's staying like that unfortunately until ccts are in - back end is going on tomorrow but carbs and tank aren't going back on yet cos i can get right at the front cct easier with them off.
busy weekend planned lol :thumbup:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

busy busy - got dynojet finished, fitted ccts, got the back end on - what a pig lol.
put my new (to me!) laser cans on and then the fairing

but then realised the mounting bracket is bent to the left so the fairing has to come off again while i get a bar on it to bend it back.
also realised i hadn't fastened the left rad down - or the front coil!!! :roll:
still loads to do before it's ready for riding - still waiting on the new front spindle (old one was bent), got to fit head light, might fit some leds in the pilot light instead of in the headlamp shell, broke the bolt off a new indicator while i was fitting it so have to get another :thumbdown:
also fit decals and the fuel tank cap - more or less it :D

need to get some new tank rubbers - been looking for some rubber edging trim - might go all round the tank and fairing in it if i can find some - any ideas?
TUG

Post by TUG »

Dammit benny i was planning on spraying mine white with black frame... :cry:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

TUG wrote:Dammit benny i was planning on spraying mine white with black frame... :cry:
sorry mate lol :)
be interesting how many cars move over for it now lol - might put some blue leds in the daylamp!!! :thumbup:
tbh i honestly think white is probably the hardest colour to spray - if it's not totally flawlwess it looks sh1t, you see every blemish in the light. this has took bloody ages lol and used 4 1/2 litres of paint :eek2
still got the belly pan to do yet, well, 2nd topcoat!

it was either white or kwak green, but i'm sure i saw another greenie here?