benny's hedgehog...

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
benny hedges

benny's hedgehog...

Post by benny hedges »

seeing as there is so much to do on this shed to get it right, and to stop me derailing other threads, i thought i'd better stick it in here! :angel:

named it the hedgehog seeing as it will be in hibernation when it gets cold, and also cos it looks like it's spent half it's life stuffed in various bushes...

as you may have seen, after my recent pothole offage, i got it assessed by a friendly insurance chap who had no hesitation awarding it a cat c.

it's a 2000 model, registered as a 51 plate, but i stuck a 2000 vtr plate on it -
which means i can't use a new frame from earlier than aug 2000 if i want to keep the plate...
thought it was blue (as advertised) but when i saw it noticed it was in teal, birdie liked it and it looked in overall fine fettle with low recorded miles etc so i snapped it up.
never was keen on the colour tbh, makes it look old.

the following bits and bobs are already on it -
vfr800 bars, beaver light relay, 90/130 lamp, scottoiler, 14 tooth front sprocket for unicycle shenanigans, pyramid belly pan, black screen*, carbon hugger* and oval carbon viper cans...
currently wearing michelin pilot2 tyres, which i must say are excellent.
*already on when i got it.

next on the list (on the way) are -
ape manual ccts, stage 1 dynojet kit (E1185), k&n air filter, currently bartering on a sp1 single seat with twin rear lights, and maybe fit a pyramid undertray so i can get a 1/2 litre bottle of oil under the seat and uprate the scottoiler to bigger res.

cba posting the same wreck pics cos it pisses me off looking at it, and no point showing what it looked like before cos it was mint lol.

so soon as the insurance guy fkt off i got my spanners out and started ripping it to bits.
fairing off, seat off, re-aligned the twisted forks and they look ok, though i've got a new set anyway just in case.
guess what else i saw.........
surprise surprise it's been crashed before. heavy front end.

no disrespect to the former owner as they patched it up nice or i wouldn't have bought it.
but as it came from a honda dealer - hunts, i'd be very surprised if they didn't know and kept it quiet... wasn't on any register anyway so no biggy.
but the frame damage was definately (partly) done before i bought it.

pics?
previous weld on inside of front mudguard, filler over the outside & (not bad) respray
previous damage to clocks, also nuts missing, hydraulic fluid damage to glass as well.
full lock lugs damaged on both sides, indicating more than one front end / side hit.
also note the vtr1000 white marker on the bottom yoke - from a breaker's yard.
inspected this casting closely, at first i thought it was bent, but no stress marks and looks same compared to a few shots of new frame. same on both sides (looking at the cast gusseting)
another shot of the yoke and stop lug - obvious deformity in the lugs, both sides, but worse on the left.

i noticed when i first got it that i had to turn the bars back a bit to use the steering lock, but didn't think to inspect the lugs, with the bike being in such good nick... you don't do you! i mean have you checked yours if you haven't owned it from new?

anyway, i'll take the deformity off with my dremel and check for any other damage - the welds look fine and nothing else looks out of line.
apart from the subframe - that's fkt, but i have got another on the way.
damage to this is from the left link pipe shoving the rear hanger upwards and in, twisting the otherwise ok subframe out of true.
also it's rusted in the usual places.

so, where do i start lol!
the right fairing is ok, no damage, got a 19L tank on the way (currently 16L), left fairing off manxman - (cheers! :thumbup: ) and other fixit parts such as new gearchange assy, rear hanger, indicators, set of mirrors, new levers, bar ends, new left enging (timing) cover and bling plugs, seat cover and may fit a clear screen so i can film through it with my gopro surf.
oh also got a set of 11k clocks, unmarked :) currently the bike is on 9010 recorded :shifty:

decided seeing as i've only seen one other and liked it, i'll paint it all polar white. got a load of rattlers on the way and also a litre of cellulose for my gun.
shame about the belly pan cos the paint & laquer job was totally flawless for like 3 hours lol :/
oh and just got a mail from ebay saying the decal sets ive ordered have been removed from sale due to infringing copyright rules - after i'd paid for them.
mailed the seller and hopefully i will still get them cos gen decals are very expensive :thumbdown:

i'll try not to ramble as much after this intro and add plenty of pics.
any tips and advise welcome as usual! :beer:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Wicky

Re: benny's hedgehog...

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Wicky wrote:I posted some logos I created in eps format that if you took directly to a vinyl cutters they would be able to make in any colour you wanted
kinell top man wicky, totally missed that - there's a place local as well do lazer cutting etc.
impressed - nice one :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Glad to help = Unfortunately searching the site for the original post doesn't work so I just dug out the links to the files - If they need tinkering with to suit your design / colour scheme let me know and I can rework them.

Hopefully your rebuild will give you a firestorm in finer fettle than when you got it - and in time for summer.

If you need other parts from breakers I recommend potentially broadening your scope by checking if the parts were shared by other peer Hondas

Use the microfiche to get the part no.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Mod ... l/VTR1000F

copy & pate it here in the reverse part no. lookup and it'll possiblt come back with shared models i.e blackbirds, VFRs, blades and CBR600s

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm

Be warned as it's for US SooperHawks so check it again in DaveSIlvers Honda part number search for general availibilty

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/part ... rt-number/

Plus always be sitting down as brand new prices as you've seen can be scary

Good new in a sad way- Down at the Hythe today picking up my ebay bargain bits at Motorcycle Recycle they've got another two storms for breakin from the midlands so should be a steady and plentiful supply of donor bits & bobs.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

sad indeed as a lot seem to be going to the nackers yard with front heads gone due to cct failure.
a few ive seen in breakers state cat d, no accident damage...
shame really when it's a relatively easy fix.

think all but die hard stormers see them as an old fashioned bike and too easily scrap them in favour of something new.

they are getting rarer.

a bud in the states has been looking for a good one on craiglist for ages but they are rare as crouton over there atm.
i've copied that fiche btw, thanks.
surprising what you can cross over - the storm (pre02) has the same indicators as my 86 cbx!
i'm using 2 of them to replace the minis on the back of the storm - don't want to spend ages restoring it then some tit say they didnt see my turn signal...

have you noticed my posts are getting longer??? hand is getting better!!
(dying for a tug lol!) :crazy:

spend a packet with motorcycle recycle in the last few days lol - you don't want to know how much! most of my parts have come from them.
got to keep an eye out for who's breaking what before they get completely canibalised!
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Benny, If you want the replacement clocks mileage to match what you currently have, let me know :shifty:
Ride Safe
Phil
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Phil-VTwin wrote:Benny, If you want the replacement clocks mileage to match what you currently have, let me know :shifty:
will do bud - got some eprom software myself but dont know if it's compatible with this.... :shh:
works on most cars tho ;) (allegedly...)

been busy today, lots of parcels arrived... had a plastic welding refresher fixing lugs back on the tailpiece, fixing a crack in the seat cowl and repairing the headlamp surround.
used a 25w soldering iron and strips off the old fairing.
the new timing cover sprayed up in ht satin black (that's tcut in the honda)
roughed up the tail, seat cowl and new mudguard, primed up and will be ready for a rub with p1200 tomorrow - on the tailpiece, all that section around the tab on the left is new - looks bob on, no seam at all :)

missed one courier with a 14kilo parcel... could be anything lol.
fixed the lugs on the frame with dremel cut-off discs, looks ok tbh :thumbup:
tomorrow, between spray coats, i'll get the swing arm and subframe off, belly pan too - needs a bit of reprofiling where it hit the deck!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

19L tank turned up this morning, missed another parcel earlier so that's 2 so far - don't you just hate it when they push a card through the door and you have to go and collect it :thumbdown:

no dents on the new tank, just a few stonechips - and looks like the zip protector has been superglued on :thumbdown:

also, a question - so far, on the items ive bought, there are 2 different datatag numbers, with the microdots intact...
wonder where i'd stand if i was pulled over and scanned by plod with that wand thing they use...
maybe i should contact datatag and se where i stand.
might it be possible to get one number re-activated with my reg and vin?
my bike is currently not tagged.
also as this tank is from the 2002 model it would've had HISS1 fitted - and the HISS sticker is on the tank, in good nick.
think i'll stick that back on after i've sprayed it as an added deterrant :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

benny hedges wrote:19L tank turned up this morning, missed another parcel earlier so that's 2 so far - don't you just hate it when they push a card through the door and you have to go and collect it :thumbdown:

no dents on the new tank, just a few stonechips - and looks like the zip protector has been superglued on :thumbdown:

also, a question - so far, on the items ive bought, there are 2 different datatag numbers, with the microdots intact...
wonder where i'd stand if i was pulled over and scanned by plod with that wand thing they use...
maybe i should contact datatag and se where i stand.
might it be possible to get one number re-activated with my reg and vin?
my bike is currently not tagged.
also as this tank is from the 2002 model it would've had HISS1 fitted - and the HISS sticker is on the tank, in good nick.
think i'll stick that back on after i've sprayed it as an added deterrant :thumbup:
Benny,
They hide up the road until you've gone out, then they post that card through the letterbox :lol: well that's what it feels like when that happens to me.

At least you're making good progress, so that is something :thumbup:

Not sure what year your bike is, but the 19ltr tank has a different set-up/arrangement for connecting up for fuel etc, and iirc uses a smaller airbox (on the UK spec Storm) than the earlier bikes with the 16ltr fuel tank. You may be ahead of me on this already, but if not worth checking out before you spend time+ labour preparing and painting this new 19ltr tank.

Not sure where you stand on the Datatag thing, but worth inquiring to avoid any hassle at a later date IMO.

Keep up the good work :D

Chris.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

sirch345 wrote:
Not sure what year your bike is, but the 19ltr tank has a different set-up/arrangement for connecting up for fuel etc, and iirc uses a smaller airbox (on the UK spec Storm) than the earlier bikes with the 16ltr fuel tank. You may be ahead of me on this already, but if not worth checking out before you spend time+ labour preparing and painting this new 19ltr tank.

Not sure where you stand on the Datatag thing, but worth inquiring to avoid any hassle at a later date IMO.

Keep up the good work :D

Chris.
cheers bud.
the bike is a 2000 model, registered in 2001, originally with 16L tank.

tried the 19L tank for fit as soon as i unpacked it. wouldn't go anywhere near :(
then i realised i had it back to front lol :oops:
with the top of the airbox off it fits no problem - not tried it with the lid on yet, but that brings me to my next question...
looking at the relatively small air intake hole, with the k&n filter (which also came today)
is there any tried & tested benefit to opening up the intake, or doing away with the lid altogether, cutting it back so it just acts as a retaining plate for the filter panel??

i'm sure i saw this mod somewhere where the guy put the airbox on a bandsaw and cut it down to make a retaining frame for the filter, seeing as the tank protects the filter from the elephants....

anyone??

atm it's rubbed down ready for priming after tea.
answering a Q on the fuel tap, i noticed the 19L tank does not have a tap but just has a vacuum operated valve - wonder if this is cos of fuel starvation on earlier storms? ive noticed it myself when racing it... the piping arrangement looks the same, but i may add a cbr fuel pump yet so it won't matter.

the left fairing arrived today thanx to manxman, just scored a right panel off ebay, collecting it tomorrow for 25 notes :thumbup:
that one is already prepped for painting which saves me a bit of time.
also today i got the gearchange linkage and lever, r6 reg rec, rear subframe, swing arm, bar ends, my vac gauges, k&n, but missed delivery of the fork legs. :Argue 1:
all i'm due now is decals, dynojet kit, clocks and mirrors, respray should be more or less done this weekend i hope!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

i'm sure i saw this mod somewhere where the guy put the airbox on a bandsaw and cut it down to make a retaining frame for the filter, seeing as the tank protects the filter from the elephants....
I remember that IIRC on the superhawk forum - to fit his VFR tank he cut his airbox to fit relatively flush to the underside of the tank, finishing of with draught excluder/rubber seal as a gasket.

Here it is

http://superhawkforum.com/forums/showth ... ank+airbox

To take the guess work out of where to cut the airbox to fit the tank you could use a profile gauge

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10838

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

just noticed the guy im picking the right fairing up from tomorrow has a 2002 airbox for sale..
he's taking cash for the panel so i'm sure he will part with the airbox if i need it.
:thumbup:
not tried fitting my old one under the 19L yet cos once i sat down i cba moving.

theres a thought - hope it fits the same k&n 8O
didn't notice 2 different part numbers for the storm...

i meant cutting off the lid of the airbox as a performance mod with the aftermarket filter, seeing as the stock intake hole is tidgy
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

sirch345 wrote:19ltr tank.... uses a smaller airbox (on the UK spec Storm) than the earlier bikes with the 16ltr fuel tank. You may be ahead of me on this already, but if not worth checking out before you spend time+ labour preparing and painting this new 19ltr tank.
phew - just tried it with airbox and filter back on and it fits bob on - looks massive tho side by side against the old tank!
cheers on the heads up tho - i would've been really pissed off if it didnt fit!

tell you what tho - apart from the gauge of the weave in the filter material, there is virtually no difference between stock air filter & k&n.
wish i'd held on for the bmc now!
i'll be really sick if this has already got dynojet kit fitted!
best have a look! might be a cheap kit going in sales & wants lol.
also (possibly) surplus to requirements, a repaired and primed16L tank, a perfect set of forks (once im happy mine are good), a shotblasted swingarm and other goodies i bought just in case but might not need for the rebuild!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

oh what a lovely day it is :biggrin
my paint and decals arrived this morning and i couldnt wait to get a 1st coat on to see what it looks like - im impressed :thumbup: looks nice imo.

got the forks that i missed yesterday as well, just short of the clocks now.

then.... the insurance assessor's report came :thumbup:
they put a value on my bike of..... wait for it.... £2700!!! :beer: Get in!
with damage to the tune of £3469.
also confirmed i will receive a V23 form shortly declaring it a cat C write-off.
best bit..... salvage value.... £70 LOL!

so bearing in mind it's cost just under £600 in parts and paint (but that included ape ccts, k&n & dyno kit, that should leave me approx £2000 in the butt pocket, which is just under what i paid for the bike in the first place!
(that just about covers my labour time to repair it, approx 50hrs work at £40 a hr!)

on top of that there's the £275 recovery charge, £609 worth of helmet and leathers, plus personal injuries which have yet to be agreed.
very impressed with the efficiency of the lads at Sorrymate.com, does what it says in the ad - no hassle (so far) :thumbup:

hoping to get the respray done over the weekend, then i'll add some more pics of the resurrection.

i should crash bikes more often! :beer:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

it used to be a simple case of getting it reMOT'd to resurrect written off crashed bikes - then it changed and you'll need to book a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) for a fee to give you an official roadworthy stamp.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Bu ... DG_4022107

Plus check that you are still insured to ride! as the policy is often gets cancelled after a write off.