benny's hedgehog...

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
tony.mon

Re: benny's hedgehog...

Post by tony.mon »

Re the bellypan, I've noticed that the spray directly from the bottom edge of the front wheel pebbledashes and strips the paint off a stripe at the front edge about 70-80cm wide.
Any ideas how to stop this?

I was considering that paint protector film you can buy, as long as it's clear it won't show much, and I guess it could be renewed every so often.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

dunno bud, maybe a fender extender is the answer.
maybe a strip of clear vinyl form the decal man>
might see if he can sort me a 4" wide strip in satin black?
had some bad stonechips after just a few miles riding when i fitted it last - 36 miles to be exact.
the white looks nice atm but i can imagine it will need lots of tlc.

another thing - the acrylic laquer ive used doesn't appear to be fuel resistant, so it looks like i might have to take it to my m8 and get it all blown over in a 2 pack lacquer.
i'd be really pissed off if the first time i fill the tank it takes the fkin paint off the tank lol :think:

also noticed a very slight weep of clutch fluid from the bottom of the plastic res, where it goes in the metal m/c body.
is that just an o-ring inside? havent taken it off yet but looks like it took a bang when i dropped it.
don't fancy fluid on the fairing - that will definately take paint off. :problem:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Try getting your mitts on Pro XL Ultra Gloss Lacquer

http://www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk/product/pro-clear

UV and Petrol Resistant
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Wicky wrote:Try getting your mitts on Pro XL Ultra Gloss Lacquer

http://www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk/product/pro-clear

UV and Petrol Resistant
cheers bud, was just looking at that after seeing it in the hugger thread - nice one, might invest.
isn't just for the tank, the hugger will also pick up dirt i guess and the uv resistance is a bonus.
don't want it all yellowing over summer!

nice one. :thumbup:

pity ive got 3L of this acrylic stuff left lol!

*couldn't order on the site you recommended for some reason, so i looked here and it was a lot cheaper for the same stuff in 500ml cans :thumbup:
http://www.autopaintsbrighton.co.uk/ult ... -751-p.asp
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
TUG

Post by TUG »

I woud like to spray mine white tbh, but how much does a compressor and decent gun with paint and everything else you need set you back?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

TUG wrote:I woud like to spray mine white tbh, but how much does a compressor and decent gun with paint and everything else you need set you back?
get a decent home compressor setup for a 1er from machine mart or even aldi.

ive done this with 500ml rattlers and it looks just as good.
still got paint & thinners tho but dint need em.

aldi had good ones for 79 last week, shotblasters for a tenner, air ratchet set etc, well worth a look.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

benny hedges wrote:
also noticed a very slight weep of clutch fluid from the bottom of the plastic res, where it goes in the metal m/c body.
is that just an o-ring inside? havent taken it off yet but looks like it took a bang when i dropped it.
don't fancy fluid on the fairing - that will definately take paint off. :problem:
Don't know for sure, but probably.

Seen Rizoma's fluid reservoirs?
Start from thirtynine quid and look the business IMHO.
http://www.rizoma.com/Prodotti/Prodotti ... =3&IDSez=1

Do some much nicer brackets than standard, too.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i'll have a look at them bud, and there's a few std ones on fleabay as well.
took the fluid out of the one that's on now cos it's pissing out when i pull the clutch.
looks like the seal has gone on the lever pushrod as well so i'll change the whole lol.

also been looking at different brakes for the front - the cbr600rr brakes? will they fit the storm discs??
don't need anything too fancy but i'd like it be able to pull stoppies
may change the mc and res if i find one to match the left side
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Benny,
not sure if the RR calipers wont fit the Storm Forks, but the earlier model will...CBR600F4, and they are bigger piston area :thumbup: . They are the same calipers as fitted to early baldes and the SP1. The matching CBR master cyl is a good size for braking power, but it has integrated [old style] reservoir.

the link shows the options I looked at.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 94&start=0

this has given me they type of braking power I wanted, just got to work out if my disks are slightly warped, as the extra braking power is giving me a slight judder when braking from 100 [closed road] that was never there with the old crap standard ones [even when cleaned and with HH pads]
AMcQ
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

front & back calipers are definately on my shopping list - i'll have a look at that thread.
the standard ones have brand new ebc pads in atm so i'm not in a rush.
more bothered about getting the soddin thing on the road now lol!

what ever calipers i go for will have to fit the standard whhels and discs - cba going to the extreme of changing wheels as the ones on are mint with brand new rubber!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

ah it's been a while, but tbh hardly stopped working on this - been trying to do a job a night or so...
was hoping to be out on it this weekend but been mad busy at work with an offshore project...
what this does is maintain instrument air to the platform if it loses electrical power (with 20 x 450bar bottles which go in the tall frames) and also inflates and lowers the survival craft - took some doing i can tell you seeing as most of the parts are american, what with the airport shutdowns etc...

anyway, so far ive changed the subframe, forks and seals, yokes& taper bearings, tank, clutch mc, levers, all the plastics except the tail and seat cowl, front spindle, indicators, gearchange, new levers, swing arm & bushes and loads of other stuff i cant remember lol - all in i reckon i spent about £700 since dropping it, which isn't that bad tbh for what i got and seeing as i bought the bike back for £70 lol :thumbup:

since last pics ive done the frame, subframe, swing arm and fork legs in satin hammerite but decided it was shite so did the swing arm, wheels and forks again in jcb 1 pack enamel (superb paint! free!!!)

finished the respray at last but decided not to apply the decals until it's all back together and stood up straight so they look right.
not happy with the finish on the tailpiece but it will have to do for summer - bloody icelandic ash in the lacquer :cry:
anyway here's what it looks like tonight

all that's left to do is fit the fairing fillers, realign the left rad cos it looks on the piss, fit indicators, mirrors & extensions and decals
oh and the right fairing lol - noticed a bee stuck to it so i'll have to rub it down again where it's buzzed all over it.

modwise ive added k&n (but just ordered a bmc) dynojet kit, laser cans from here :thumbup: , wirth progressive springs - which have made the front very stiff....
changed std ccts for ape and bought a used flywheel which is currently being turned down and rebalanced.
dropped the forks by 8mm and jacked the back by 5mm and it's really made a difference to the stance of the bike - much lower at the front and feels a lot more aggressive and racy :thumbup:
still waiting on the yacugar progressive rear spring, anyday i hope, but might buy another std shock to fit it to so i can get the bike on the road and put some miles on it. (currently 4850 miles :wink: )

sat on it for the first time the other night and gave it a damn good revving - sounds ace with the new (to me) pipes - seems to rev a lot more freely than before, i don't know if that's the pipes, jetting, apes, timing advance or just me???

should be a lot more revvy with the lighter flywheel i reckon.
oh yeh, also got a cal from the delightfull sophie at david silvers and ordered a rvf750 throttle tube, should be here this week :thumbup:

decided also to leave the scottoiler off and try some reynolds white chain wax to see if i can keep my hugger clean lol - i reckon i'll regret painting that before too long!

& yes i know the seat is on the piss lol, didnt want to click it down in case it sticks again!
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

looking good benny, bet ya cant wait to get out on it (weather this week=sunny!!) 8)
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Looking Good Benny :thumbup:
Can't be far off a test run from the look of it 8)

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Pete.L wrote: Can't be far off a test run from the look of it 8)

Pete.l
had it running again tonight til the carbs ran out but tbh there's that much shite in the garage it will take me a week to get it out the door :lol:

stuck some stickers on tonight, looks aiiit :biggrin
just masked it up and lacquered it on the bike cos i cba taking it all off again, wants a few coats tbh.
got a load more to stick on yet, on the belly etc, not found a place for the vtr ones yet, might stick them in the recess in the belly cos one side's still got a bit of a flaw on it :oops:
cosidered getting some SnowStorm ones made up in the same font instead of the firestorm, but then thought it would only hold it up even more and i want to get on it....

only problem now is i want the fuel cap off my other tank but it's full of petrol, and i only have one can!
also i need the level switch out of it cos the one in my new tank is rattling round - and i can't find my tee to join the fuel pipes so i'll have to get another tomorrow while i'm at stauffs :thumbup:

er if anyone wants a set of decals in silver let me know - reckon they'd look ace against black or blue.
got them all apart from the v2 (only got them in black) but it's a set off the later one that doesnt have a tail sticker anyway.
pm if you want them :thumbup:

apart from the mirrors and stuff there's not a lot left to do
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Timbo wrote:i would stick a big Honda or Wing on the belly pan, break up all that white. My white CB had a BP briefly and it was a lot of white.
that's the plan - got the lot - big font HONDA and VTR, 1000, also some other stickers from wirth dynojet scottoiler k&n etc, don't want to overdo it lke but i know what you mean.
haven't put them on yet cos i put some fingerprint marks in the laquer when i was fitting it so i want to give it all a good tcutting before i stick decals over marks - once it's lacquered it's there to stay and it will only piss me off in time...

also noted what someone said about chips on the front of the belly so i've ordered some clear vinyl to go behind the front wheel and underneath the pan.
got some steam pipe wrap as well for the downpipes so it doesn't blister the paint off.

and ordered some rubber trim, like the stuff under the std seat cowl, intend to go all round the edges to finish it off and hopefully protect the edges from chips an ting :thumbup:

decided to use the scottoiler but this time feeding in the void between the gearchange casing and where the hugger starts - atm there's like a 2" gap and it looks gay so might as well make some use of it eh.

another few things, added extra long fuel pipes so i can jack up the back of the tank for tinkering purposes, and fitted some heatproof rubber vacuum tubes with m5 valves on the end for carb balancing, one teed off for the fuel valve and the other teed off for the oiler. tucks in nicely out of sight but hopefully will save arsing about when i get round to re-balancing it.

got some new air stacks coming off ebay so might try experiment & see what combination of long and short i prefer... bmc 14404race filter is coming from busters so there might be a new unused k&n going begging shortly... :thumbup:
having monkey's 4* advancer as well - lots of variables to crouton up lol, more work for the dynoman!