single sided swing arm conversion stage 2

General Bike chat
vtrmann

single sided swing arm conversion stage 2

Post by vtrmann »

here are some rescent pics [done today] of the next stage of my conversion. taking stuff apart is the best bit IMOP its the geting evrything back together part that takes the time and patience.
I would definatly reccomend having a go at this, its not as difficult as everyone seems to believe, as long as you have somewhere to machine the bolt sleave and the bottom shock mount plate your laughing. I would even consider doing it for other people in the future, but i want to gtet mine on the road first [couple of weeks is the plan]

from this:-

to this in a couple of hours

everything has now been stripped off the vfr arm ready for a damn good blasting [cleaning not shot blasting] then its remembering where it all goes, made the mistake of not taking pics the last time i atempted a strip and re-build [DON'T DO IT............. GET THE CAMERA OUT]

will keep uploading pics as it gets further along.

OH does anyone know how i can just get the images up on the page rather than having to keep posting links?

cheers

richard-vtr-mann
single sided swing arms rule....!
vtrmann

Re: single sided swing arm conversion stage 2

Post by vtrmann »

heres some pics of the cleaned up arm [if you care?]

amazing what a cheap £1 tin of degreaser and some wd40 will do hey!
vtrmann

Post by vtrmann »

if anyone wants the metzler race-tec tyre thats on the vfr rim let me know, not sure what its worth but its super sticky and got plenty of life left in it. its a 180/55/17 [a proper cut slick] for road use or track days?

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

vtrmann wrote: OH does anyone know how i can just get the images up on the page rather than having to keep posting links?

cheers

richard-vtr-mann
Richard,
This could be a very interesting thread :thumbup: Some on here have already done this mod, but I'm sure those members and most of us who haven't (yet :wink: ) will be interested in watching and reading about your progress.

Regarding posting your pic's. If you copy and paste the bottom link (IMG Code as in the pic below) from your Flicker album they will come out as yours do now :wink:

Cheers,

Chris.
vtrmann

Post by vtrmann »

right, just seen the pics come up on the screen, this technology lark is too complicated for me, only just got used to not using 35mm film...ha.

re: conversion, i think the biggest issue is seeing your beloved bike looking like a pile of srcap for a few weeks [like mine at the mo.] but you need to be able to see past all the nights of greasey filth and ripped flesh on sharp bits and visualise the end result.....a very rare litte bike.....i think once a few have done it, it will become, like most mod's, "old hat" and we will all be doing trike conversions......mmmmm now theres an idea....damn, done it again, just spent ££££'s in my head [which usually turn out to become a reality]

anyone got a rear ended storm for a trike conversion??????????????????? think that would be a first.......!

I knew joining this forum was a bad idea, when it was just me and my mad ideas i was ok now i have everyone elses input.

oh well such is life.

back off out to the garage to clean up more bits then its back to the bodywork [fibre glass, sanding, filler, sanding, primer, sanding, base, sanding, clear, sanding, buffing....OH NO!] if anyone likes body work, and i dont see who would i'll provide as much tea and biscuits and you can take....
vtrmann

Post by vtrmann »

Just used nitromores for the first time to strip paint off the wheel, can't believe iv'e never used it before.

the metzler recetec tyre is off the rim now so if you wan't it i can post next week.

Geting the bolt sleave and the 5mm front sprocket spacer machined next weekend [bloke is away until then]
r4vtr

Post by r4vtr »

looking good so far keep up the great work cant wait to see this one finished
97 model ,black, plus 2 rear sprocket ,double bubble screen ,rentec sports rack.......much more to come
Seven Of Nine Firestorm

Post by Seven Of Nine Firestorm »

Just out of interest how much for the rear tyre posted also the tread out of 100, 100 being new what would you give it .
Just a interest at the moment
vtrmann

Post by vtrmann »

i will do the rear tyre for £60 including postage anywhere in the uk i would say its a 8 out of ten, had some wear on the shoulders but plenty left and its a top quality tyre [very sticky] let me know, cheers richard
vtrmann

Post by vtrmann »

Just got my two machined parts back, the custom 50mm front washer to space the front sprocket by 5mm and the bronzed steel bolt sleave for the lower rear shock mounting, everything is now here to complete the rear end conversion and it will all be bolted on and in place this weekend. I have also got the primer for the respray in now too, so the panels will be in primer and ready for base this weekend, then graphics and clear the weekend after, decided to chrome the outer rim of the vfr wheel as it looks sooooo much better and really catches the light more, centre is still going to be black. will upload new pics at weekend.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

Which model vfr is that swing arm off mate ???? Looking good by the way :)

Edit: A bit of searching :oops: :oops: turns out its vfr800

Oh joy, local bike breakers 10 mins away have 5 or 6 in complete :):) might start buying ready for back end of the year project :)
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Interesting that nobody mentiones that it extends wheel base and does not add much rigidity to rear end. And does not save weight.
Functionally braced swingarm works way better.
Visually single-sided looks brilliant, must admit. I generally love when people not afraid to modify bikes "big way" so - all my best wishes with conversion!
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
vtrmann

Post by vtrmann »

thanks for comments the vfr swing arm is off an 800 non vtec version [early model]

i agree with the comment about visuals, you cant beat a sssarm on the side stand with a well painted wheel and also a custom exhaust showing, and yes for chassis strength a braced arm is the way to go...if you want a real stiff rear end use an sp1/sp2 arm, soooo much more rigid and looks pretty good too, though not as eye catching as a sssarm IMOP.

i would say on the weight side i think my conversion will add a fair bit in comparrison with o/e arm, its one hell of a beefy piece of alloy and the rear disk is twice the size as well as the caplliper, the wheel is much lighter so i suppose it does compensate a bit....but like i said before its done for a visual WOW FACTOR not performance.

new pics to be added this weekend.
vtrmann

Post by vtrmann »

heres some updated photos of the conversion, i have now fitted the rear shock to the custom mount and through the frame.....that takes some balls to drill your frame believe me...!!! had to over size the hole as well to get the bolt straight but its done and the custom exhaust link pipe fits nicely next to the shock spring without catching, first time.

Started to paint the rear wheel, black centre and chrome lips, should look well in the sunlight.

front sprocket spacer also fitted but that threw up some more issues with clearence of the clutch/sprocket cover plate and nede to space that as well, people dont tell you all the litle things before you start something like this.

chain is on and rear sprocket [not done up though] just need to modify the tank bracket and the chassis is done. then its geting the tyre back on the rim and make sure everything sits properly before i tighten everything up.

then its just the panels to paint-again easier said than done as im doing it properly with a gun not ratle cans like i have done before.

look at all the bits i have left over.....whoops.!! most of them won't be neded though but it looks like a nightmare doesn't it????

the custom seat unit is getting there too, its a standard fairing which has been cut up and chopped then grafted a single hump onto it.
vtrmann

Post by vtrmann »

still having problems with photo's it seems, im using photobucket but hey wont come up?????

so heres a link to the album all my pics are in:-

http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/vtrmann/