single sided swing arm conversion stage 2

General Bike chat
marlbororman

Re: single sided swing arm conversion stage 2

Post by marlbororman »

cool, looking good. just looked at all yer pics. have you anymore of the modded rear seat cowling?
vtrmann

Post by vtrmann »

yes have loads of photos, will add some more when i can, its a pretty straight forward job to do, and it means no more giving lifts to fat bas$£%ds as well....bonus.
you need to be a bit handy with the fibre galss and the filler, but apart from that the biggest problem is lining it all up before it sets and the results speak for themselves as you will see.
cheers
single sided swing arms rule....!
Pointblank

Post by Pointblank »

Nice work . :)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

vtrmann wrote: front sprocket spacer also fitted but that threw up some more issues with clearence of the clutch/sprocket cover plate and nede to space that as well, people dont tell you all the litle things before you start something like this.
Richard,
According to the guys who have done this mod before (well two of them anyway) what you need is another metal spacer, the same as the one already attached to your front sprocket cover. It's a bit like a gasket in shape (if you understand what I mean) but is made of metal around 3mm thick.

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

vtrmann wrote:still having problems with photo's it seems, im using photobucket but hey wont come up?????

so heres a link to the album all my pics are in:-

http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/vtrmann/
Richard,
Right I've sorted out your photo's again :!: :wink:

You need to copy and paste the IMG Code as highlighted in the pic below:-

Then you photo's will show :thumbup:

Things are coming on and are looking very good so far. The guy who did the exhaust headers did a good job :thumbup:

Keep up the good work :D

Chris.
vtrmann

Post by vtrmann »

cheers for all the positive fedback....this has turned into one hell of a conversion and given the choice "would i do it again???" definatly without a doubt......the hardest thing has been not having my bike to use while the weather has been so nice, but the weather has helper with the painting process...everything has had two coats of green ti filler primer now and just needs to be flated ready for the the yellow base coat [things might take a litle longer as im off to wales again this weekend for racing at tonfanau] otherwise the bike might have been finished and been road tested.

if anyone else is thinking of doing it.....dont pay someone to do it, you are talking ££££'s in labour costs as everything has to be put on then taken off then put on again and so on and so forth, extra costs soon arise too with new brake lines and fitings, custom exhausts to be made, new chains and sprockets etc etc etc.... if you dont have the technical skill or patience just leave your bike alone you will end up not finishing it and selling it as "spares or repairs" trust me iv'e done that before too.

as a guesstimation of total hours so far i would say:-

strip down 2-3 hours
pre assembly 2-5 hours [depending how many beers and fags you have had...lmao]
cleaning 1-3 hours [essential as you wont get another chance once its bolted up, to get he fiddly bits done that is]
final assembly 2-4 hours depending on exhausts and body work mods etc
so roughly about 15 hours straight which at £30-£50 p/h is tooooo much money.

it is vital to keep taking pics and make sure you keep all the nuts and bolts also taking a lot of breaks from it helps as you will soon get stressed when it goes wrong or wont line up etc etc.

i had a panic a couple of days ago when i realised that all the places the original wiring went will no longer fit [modified tail, exhaust etc] but its a case of make new brackets or use ties to secure things

I cant wait to hear to exhaust system for the first time....forget the swig arm and paint work... it should make a sound like thunder from the art silencer [removable baffles too...mmmmmmm]
vtrmann

Post by vtrmann »

hey up timbo....thats probably where we differ slightly, i would never ask someone else to work on one of my bikes or cars for me, not that i don't trust other peoples work, but if you have done a job yourself, its to your standards and not theirs, plus the costs involved go through the roof when you pay other people for thier time. iv'e not seen firestrommikes conversion so wont comment on how easy it was for him to do, anyone can bolt stuff together, its when you try and go the extra mile to make yours stand out it gets hard work.
all the best.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I remain well impressed by your work - I really like the look of the single sider. :thumbup:
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

vtrmann

Post by vtrmann »

hi timbo, thats how i used to be, servicing and that was it, but when i saw how much it was costing me to get work done, i just taught myself how to do it, welding is tricky if youv'e never done it but like most things, practice makes perfect. i'm not a mechanic [caretaker infact] but with a manual and a good tool box you can tackle anything......once you get into building and modifying you soon see your tool collection growing and buying powertools and equipment for one little job which you end up doing over and over again, so in the long run it saves you a fortune. cheers.