Gsxr600 k6 anyone riden one????

General Bike chat
rst steve

Gsxr600 k6 anyone riden one????

Post by rst steve »

Right been looking at a change for a bit now and come across a nice one owner gsxr600k6 in my local shop. I know its going to be a completely differant animal to the storm and that im gonna have to rev the nuts off it but has anyone riden one that can give me an idea of what they are like. Is it cheaper to run??? its cheaper to insure which i found quite strange. :thumbup:
bluesman

Re: Gsxr600 k6 anyone riden one????

Post by bluesman »

I did not own it, but my very good friend owns one from time he bought it new.
It was not expensive to run, quite straightforward to maintain and as for revving his favourite gear is 1st. No kidding. It goes up to like 90 mph in first.
However, he had some issues with it.
Something that Suzuki built in - thing that cuts engine off if bike dropped totally on it's side. Was shutting down his motor quite a few times on track. He filled insides of that sensor with epoxy so that it stuck in one position. Done.
He had major engine problem - engine dropped valve during aggressive ride with group of other bikes but suprisingly he only had to replace 1 valve and piston. And that's after hugely abusive style of track riding for many km. According to him rest of mileage was "easy on bike".
Apart from this minor issues resulting from spills, slight loss of engine power because of wear and worn out suspension bike did quite well all those years but he eventually quit road riding with it and resorted to trackdays in Zolder and Spa. He rode it very hard thou.
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

there's a girl round near me has one and ive had a few good 150+ races against it on my private section of closed road ;)
should say had cos im sure i saw it parked near the bp garage smashed to crouton the other week.
might've been another one like cos imo they all look the same.
if it was her i hope shes ok cos she rides like a demon lol, was very surprised first time i saw her take her lid off - fit as crouton as well lol :eek2

very quick bike and outbrakes the storm.
great for a toy but if you do a lot of miles i reckon you'd soon get tired of it - i personally find high revving 4s very tiring to ride over distance.

agree with the 1st gear tho - m8s got a zxr6 and that goes over a ton in 1st lol, sounds amazing as well at them revs but i wouldn't want one meself.
got an 1/2 decent 4 in the garage sat there doing nawt but it's like a steam engine compared to the 600s out now!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Well according to this write-up Steve it'll need to be revved to 8,000rpm's to get going and has a high first gear. If those two things don't bother you the rest of the spec seems pretty impressive to me.
http://www.motorcyclists-online.com/o1_ ... eople.html

If you're serious about it, your best bet is to have a test ride.

Chris.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

sirch345 wrote:If you're serious about it, your best bet is to have a test ride.

Chris.
Think that is the best thing you can do Steve. If it's anything like my old 600 it'll be easier to ride in some circumstances but you'll have to thrash it to get the best from it.

It's been said before-but there ain't no replacement for displacement :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
Tat_Man

Post by Tat_Man »

I've ridden one..and recently

My brother rides a K6 and i was repairing a broken wire to the speedo for him (a common fault due to poor waterproofing) earlier this week.
After fixing it i went out to make sure the fix was good .Well its as good of an excuse as any!

Have a sit on one and compare the size to a Firestorm, i felt like a gorilla on a monkey bike.
If i was going to change it would have to be for a GSXR1000
I'm about 5'10",16+ stone and whilst i knew i'd have to rev the nuts off it having owned a CBR600 before the Storm,I wasn't ready for how much..

I did enjoy the ride but it felt cramped,my knees and elbows came into contact on several occasions.
...granted,it cornered like a dream and it makes the most addictive,raciest induction roar i've ever heard,
but you're constantly trying to locate the power.
Sure, you'd get used to it but i recon you'd miss the grunt.

Its definately worth a test ride, our kid absolutely loves it to bits but its all he's ever ridden...
I have to say, I think V Twin power has spoiled me :D