Key cuts??

General Bike chat
Anotherbikerbabe

Key cuts??

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Advice please: I only have one key for my bike, it only came with one when I bought it, so my Q to you is this: Do any of you know of any place where I can a copy of my bike key cut? :think: Dave has 2 for his bike, so that's ok, but I only have one and I'm not even sure if engine keys can be copied :?:
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
marlbororman

Re: Key cuts??

Post by marlbororman »

I was wondering the same,after loosing mine at work ? (turns out it was in the rear seat release lock, from getting the chain out from under the seat :oops: :oops: )
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Is yours the later Firestorm with a HISS immobiliser? If so, get a key cut and coded (at a dealers) NOW. If you lose the only key, then you need a new lock and ECU...expensive.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Keys Galore have got me out of trouble plenty of times (they also cut keys for a barrel), pop key/lock in the post (Reg/SD) to them at:

Keys Galore, 96 Gloucester Avenue, London, NW1 8HX
020 7586 9741
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Twinpotter wrote:Keys Galore have got me out of trouble plenty of times (they also cut keys for a barrel), pop key/lock in the post (Reg/SD) to them at:

Keys Galore, 96 Gloucester Avenue, London, NW1 8HX
020 7586 9741
:thumbup: That's brilliant, and no doubt, plenty of guys and gals on here will be very grateful for that info. You're a star.
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Any decent 'Proper' locksmith** should be able to get/cut/program any key you have, it's just a matter of them getting the correct blank key. Programmable keys can be cut then the chip needs to be reprogramed at a dealers. Most will be able to cut a new key from a lock as well. I used to use one in Romford & the guy in there used to cut keys from locks by hand/eye, a & usefull skill indeed! They would also cut keys with just a lock number via a computer system they had, bung in a blank, type in the lock number, computer dose it's thing & instructs the cutting machine to cut the key, the marvels of modern technology!!

**'proper' locksmith as in a security lock smith not your high street cobbler/key cutter type jobsworth. Look in yellow pages.

Mac.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

what year did the hiss system come into play? I got a 98 storm.
vtrbarmy

Post by vtrbarmy »

I've got a 97 Storm which only had one key (which isn't coded, so no HISS system) and just took the key to one of the local high street shoe repair shops that cut keys, 5 mins and £3.99 later I had 2 keys.
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

marlbororman wrote:what year did the hiss system come into play? I got a 98 storm.

When they revised the Storm and it got the new dash, calipers and bigger fuel tank. 2001, I think?
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

hmmm im ok then with a 98 :) might take my key with me to work today, and nip across the road and see if i can get a spare cut then.