Another new member

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
PaulG

Another new member

Post by PaulG »

Hi all, I'm Paul and I reside in Shooters Hill in SE London. I have just bought my first VTR having not long ago received my insurance money from my condemned FZ6 Fazer, which was sadly destroyed in an accident at the end of March. The Fazer is a great bike, but of course the VTR is a different animal, mine is on a 2002 plate, Turquoise in colour, but clearly built before 02 as it has the smaller fuel tank and the older style dash. I collect it on Saturday and can’t wait to ride the thing. The biggest challenge is not getting back on a bike after a rather nasty accident involving injuries, but trying to persuade my pregnant girlfriend that I will be sensible on it, I will, honest and I kind of mean that.

As for the forum, well my technical knowledge is very poor and yes future advice re exhausts, tyres etc etc will be gratefully received. In return I’d like to think that I have some things to offer, until last year I was a police officer for 19 years, so pretty good on legislation type advice, but I was not in traffic and like most of you I hate Gatsos and other anti-motorist / revenue making devices. Knowledgeable on most things except bikes really, as other than the FZ6 (which I had for a year) it’s been 20 years since my last bike which was a GPX 600, remember that?
Jbrebel

Re: Another new member

Post by Jbrebel »

Welcome to the forum! Lots of helpful bods on here-you'll enjoy :thumbup:

Get ready for the torque :D
SP1's rock!
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

PaulG wrote:Turquoise in colour
Hello Paul. You'll find it's called teal and I hope you have thick skin :lol:
Rich.

marravtr

Post by marravtr »

ayup paul, welcome to the forum matey :thumbup:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

cupasoop wrote:
PaulG wrote:Turquoise in colour
Hello Paul. You'll find it's called teal and I hope you have thick skin :lol:
:D I though Teal had green in it, but I bow to your greater knowledge, it's certainly not yellow or red.
Thanks to all for the warm hello and yes pretty thick skin
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

PaulG wrote:but trying to persuade my pregnant girlfriend that I will be sensible on it, I will, honest and I kind of mean that.
I said the same, im anything but, it just persuades you to twist further and further, till you never find the limit, so you twist even further lol, you get the idea :roll: :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

PaulG wrote: Turquoise .................

I was a police officer for 19 years?
b154m teal is actually called jerez blue metallic :thumbup:
if you need any touch up paint let me know - i have some surplus to requirements.
best thing bout teal is you get to do a complete respray when you fall off and everybody says it looks better. :biggrin

mine was same colour - i quite liked it tbh, looks very nice polished up and just does not look like a fast bike, but is well capable of over 65mph :eek2
your bird will think it looks 'nice' and will have no idea it is actually a very sporty bike, if a bit zeberdee ish sometimes.
i suggest you stay in touch with your plod mates - you will need them for writing off the many speeding tickets you will get - they are deceptively quick!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Thanks to all of you.
So I own a B154m Teal VTR, which to some will be a Jerez Blue Metallic VTR and to others a Turquoise VTR :D
Well I like the colour anyway - but I am now in my early 40s, so maybe the yellow is just a bit too loud.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

welcome to the party, fancy coming to the storm ride out in July, have a look on the operation storm 2010 thread.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Paul, Welcome on board. We are nice folk here [well most of us!], and I guess we will be asking you for some help on the law with your background.

I have to say that even some of the traffic cops are OK, they look at the whole picture not just the speed, and I have been let off speeding on more than 1 occasion as the road conditions, time of day, riding style were all taken into account and deemed to be mitigating. A camera on the other hand just looks at speed and as you say it is more about generating revenue.
Every year I go on a 4 day bike run with a group of off duty WestMidlands bike cops, and they are clear, it is how you ride and picking a speed that is appropriate for the hazards and conditions that is important. But I still dont enjoy it when I have to lead knowing that we are doing 3 figure speeds and I have 5 coppers judging my riding....them on BMW GS's or FJR's and me with race cans and a black visor....its feels like being at school.

Hope you enjoy the bike, and get some good use out of the Forum.

and yes I remember the GPX600, but I still had my 350LC when they were out.........It was still a fair race though :D
AMcQ
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

PaulG wrote:Thanks to all of you. Hi and Welcome :thumbup:

So I own a B154m Teal VTR,( I always thought Teal was more a green/blue) which to some will be a Jerez Blue Metallic VTR and to others a Turquoise VTR :D
Well I like the colour anyway - but I am now in my early 40s, so maybe the yellow is just a bit too loud.
OOhhh, yellow is not too loud at all, mine is yellow and my Daves is Black and we are both same age, early 40's and prob hit our mid life same time lol..

A Few of us are going to Wales for a 2 nights, 3 days ride if you fancy it, it is in the ride out forum under Wales 6-8th July...Should be a good meet up even if it is just for a cpl of nights.Tell your girlfriend you will be sensible, and you will mean it, she won't be there when you hit the open road :p The accident from earlier will be but a distant memory.I bet you can't wait to pick her up. Post up pics when you do :thumbup:

ABB. :D
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

PaulG wrote:Thanks to all of you.
So I own a B154m Teal VTR, which to some will be a Jerez Blue Metallic VTR and to others a Turquoise VTR :D
Mine's yellow, and I'll have you know it's MUCH too loud.

As you're a local, d'you want to drop by on the workshop day I'm hosting on the 12th in Sevenoaks?
Looks like we'll get half a dozen or so, maybe a couple more.

PM me for the addy if you're up for it, there's a thread in the Workshop section:

Tony
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
stormarmy

Post by stormarmy »

Hi Paul,

I lived in Shooters Hill in the 90's. Welcome to the site; lots of good stuff and advice.

Enjoy the VTR - Once you've been with a twin - you don't go back...

Cheers..
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

All - Thanks for all the welcoming messages, am really touched.

I will be doing loads of rides and the idea of a workshop day is also appealing.

But 6 Weeks before my accident (Feb) I gave up fags and of course I put on loads of weight. Then at the end of March some git knocked me off my Fazer and gave me a multiple rib fracture - meaning 8 weeks of sitting on my backside eating. Add the two together and you've a monster!!! I'm now almost back to full health, but I've put on loads of pounds - Anyway last week I commited to taking part in the great river boat race which is a 22 mile charity row on the Thames in September. Basically I will training almost every Saturday and boy do I need it, but it's a great way of getting fit again!!! As for Sunday, I need to kind of keep the girlfriend happy and spend time with her on this day.
Once the River Race is over then I'll come to all the events.
But as I said - really good of you to invite me and much appeciated.I have had some Hein Gericke gift vouchers for a while, so today went to buy a new jacket as I'll need one when I pick the VTR up tomorrow - hardly anything fitted, Hein Gericke are anti-fatty, b8stard!!!
If any of you have store nearby (I know they're pricey), they're doing some really good offers at present. I paid £240 for a £300 Goretex fully armoured jacket with Hiprotec back protector etc etc, best jacket I've ever bought and so breatheable.
Thanks again
Paul
steveb

Post by steveb »

What do you think of the bike then???????????????

Any pic's?

Probably not home yet, well it is still light.................... :D
Happy ridin'
-------------------------------------------------
98 Honda Firestorm in black for tarmac grin's
98 Yamaha WR250z for green lane grin's
-------------------------------------------------