no cold start start

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bluelou

no cold start start

Post by bluelou »

hi all havin great probs with startin bike, new plugs good spark new airfilter stripped and cleaned carbs new fuel new battery replaced dodgy choke spring mixture screws are 1 5/8 turns out with standard exhaust , plugs r dry after tryin to start bike how ever spray carb cleaner into inlets and she will fire and run fine all day left over nite it just wont start. pulled carbs appart so many times now im goin slightly mad :confused :confused
simo

Re: no cold start start

Post by simo »

Assuming the petrol tap is ON ,and no kinked petrol pipes, could be that the diaphram in the tap has broken up ? :confused
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Have you put the vacuum hose on correctly at the back of the petrol tap :?: The bottom outlet is a drain hole only,

Chris.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i would guess you have reassembled the choke (plunger) wrong when you changed the spring.
copy the shop manual from the workshop knowledgebase and study the fuelling section - there's a blowup of the carb showing how it should go.

doubt it's the vac tube if it will start with easy start
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
bluelou

Post by bluelou »

thanks guys :thumbup: :thumbup: fuel tap to carbs is all good as far as choke plunger and spring have double checked an all working ok all i can think is the mixture too lean? i must admit i have never had such agro with carbs before i startin to think the possesed :evil: :twisted:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

One possibility is a leak or damaged diaphragm in the fuel tap, meaning that you don't get enough vacuum to open the tap.
Once you get it running it opens properly.

Try this out by using an old Coke bottle to hold fuel, and run a bit of pipe via a tee piece to each carb.
If it then starts ok, there's your culprit.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bluelou

Post by bluelou »

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: well still no joy with storm yet have replaced both choke springs and plungers have tested tap diaphram have stripped and cleaned carbs again and still cant get her to run from cold without blasting carb cleaner into carb inlets (while turnin engine over)and now to top it off i broke my pilot jet :oops: i got a spare set of carbs from ebay but they got the 45 size jets :redface also could anyone tell me the ideal mixture screw settings for standard cans n air filter, this bike been a real pain in the butt since last september i aint ever been beaten before but she comin close to it :twisted: :evil:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Why not just start it then ride it to a dealer to have a Dynojet kit fitted and dyno?
There's no substitute for a gas analyser when setting carbs up, really.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
franz125

Post by franz125 »

How about compression?
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Maybe your sparks are weak whilst turning the bike over and it wont catch. Carb cleaner down the throttle bodies will catch a lot easier than petrol. Try bump starting it, if it fires up I'd suspect an electrical problem.
Just a thought. :idea:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal