Scotland tour - report!

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

Buckers

Scotland tour - report!

Post by Buckers »

Scotland is an amazing place to ride a bike. But I wasn't impressed on the way up. We went Stockport M6 to Gretna then A75, A76 to Killy, then made our way through Glasgow. Lunch at Loch Lomond then A82 to Fort William. Roads are fast but dull apart from the last 15 miles.

Sunny evening in Ft William, pints of Orkney Dark Orchard and a curry whilst chilling with other bikers. An enema followed...

Day 2 could not have been better: the A86 to Laggan is one of the best roads I have ever been on. Then A9 dullness (but scenic) to Pitlochry. An amazing road, the A827, followed which took us to the A85 Callender. Then to Stirling, Edinburgh and picked up THE best road I've ridden; the A7 through borders via Galashiels, Hawick to Carlisle. Unbelievable - if anyone lives around there I envy you.

Then M6 home with a little detour over Shap on the A6. Another memorable moment in a great day. Got home at 6pm, covered in bugs but happy. 767 miles, longest trip I've ever done. I've got the bug - bring on Spain next year.
tattie

Re: Scotland tour - report!

Post by tattie »

Aye the A7 is a right licence loser :D
Pity you had'nt got longer as the further north you go the BETTER the roads get. Was down via Fort William myself and the wife yesterday and back up today.

What colour is your storm?

cheers

A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

I agree ,the Glencoe/Fort William road is too fast to be exciting .........unless you are doing mega speeds ,scenery is great though ,very atmospheric going through the Glen,but much better roads in the area,ie ,Glencoe to Kinlochleven ,or the coast road from Glencoe to Oban.
Thats the tough bit about being a biker up here ,compromise ,i always want both scenery and twisties. Did you stay in Killie? Myself and Cupasoop live a few miles outside the town (Not together i must add) :oops: :roll:

I was at Callander yesterday ,the dukes pass from Aberfoyle to Callander is a good un :D

Ps we like pics :thumbup: :wink:
Stevie
Buckers

Post by Buckers »

Here is one of the few pics we took. TBH we were so busy riding the bikes we didn't stop for photos!

I presume / we thought this was Glencoe in the background.

Hmmm - where is the firestorm you ask? I'm afraid I left it at home this time and took my cbr6. I think it was more comfy than the storm (which I know might sound odd, but for my 5'8 frame I think it puts less stress on the lower back). I've not posted a pic of my storm before so here she is - less than 5k on the clock on a T plate. Credit to past owners...

We stayed over in Ft William - very nice it was too. Still light at 11pm!

Also I saw a red storm at Killin which chillin with a drink. In a posse of 5 or so bikes. Have to say, Killin golf course looked awesome as well, would love to have a knock there
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

off up there on monday for a weeks tour, looking forward to it now :thumbup: :D
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
playerone

Post by playerone »

The A7 is a cracking road, specially if u know it very well :twisted: shame they ruined a good section with the new road. Just the ticket to get the blood pumping again after motorway all the way from bristol :thumbup: :beer: