Tyres: Avon Sport / Pirelli Diablo / Maxxis / Bridgestones

General Bike chat
keepy

Tyres: Avon Sport / Pirelli Diablo / Maxxis / Bridgestones

Post by keepy »

Just been searching/reading posts on tyres for the Firestorm and after reading 'Whoa Nelly!' post about his SuperMaxxes, he sounds pretty happy with them...

I currently have Pirreli Diablo's on which feel ok, but there on the way out so I cant really judge them in their current state.

My question is this, has anyone ever tried any Avon VP2 sport or Pirelli Diablos on their storm?

I know tyres are very subjective to riding style etc, but some tyres just dont work well with some bikes... the Avons on my Hornet were great but the Diablos on it were terrible!

If no-one has tried them out on their storm I'll probobly just back the bridgestones or Maxxes. I'd like to get the Avons and my local garage always seems to ahve a good deal on the Diablo's, so just putting some feelers out there...

:-)
SlingVTR

Re: Tyres: Avon Sport / Pirelli Diablo / Maxxis / Bridgeston

Post by SlingVTR »

I have Avon Viper Sports on mine, one word..crap. No feel from the front have a 1and a half inch chicken strip on each side, the rear is better with good grip but the steepness of the tyre wall gives you a falling into turns very quickly feeling like its just gonna drop you. Diablos with give you 1000 miles and no more, I suggest Diablo Stradas, good feel, good mileage (2500), and exellent wet grip, and at my garage they are £170 a pair fitted.
Giddsy

Post by Giddsy »

Maxxis tyres are spot on mate - mine have been on for a lot of miles now (must be approaching 4 - 5k) and wear is great, not flat spotting badly. Never been let down by grip and always feels good.

Can't recommend highly enough.
Tat_Man

Post by Tat_Man »

FirestormMike wrote: Bridgestones - wore out faster than any other and squared off badly in no time, crap for a Firestorm in my opinion....
Thats true....I wish i'd found out before i put BT016's on mine...Very grippy but cost a packet, and I've only done around 1500 road miles on mine and they're ready for a change.
motorola222

Post by motorola222 »

Pirreli diablo corsa 3 on my storm handles like a supersports now and the grip is unbeliveable it's a supersprts tyre but has a rock hard centre with soft outer the gip is amazing and I commute on them. Ace tyres thoughly recommend there standar fittment on the superstock 600's Racers in the states
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

Tat_Man wrote:
FirestormMike wrote: Bridgestones - wore out faster than any other and squared off badly in no time, crap for a Firestorm in my opinion....
Thats true....I wish i'd found out before i put BT016's on mine...Very grippy but cost a packet, and I've only done around 1500 road miles on mine and they're ready for a change.
I've just put 023's on mine - 500 miles so far, and not a sign of wear....
Very confidence inspiring too (I always used 014s on my ZX7R)

I'll keep you posted.
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

Beamish

Post by Beamish »

What are you after from a tyre....wet weather confidence, dry weather grip, longevity? Most bridgestones feel good but hard riding demolishes them in about 1000 miles, Metzler racetecs are awesome in the dry but feel very odd in the wet and last about the same mileage (more than bridgestones though). I am going with Avon Storm STs next (if I ever get two scheckles to rub together)
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

mmmmh :roll: hard riding with pilot 2s, i'm nt so sure theyre right for me....

seems they drop into corners ok but im having to power out a bit faster than im comfortable wit,. ie, going into like a 80 degree curve at close on a ton, i find myself really having to wind on the throttle and physically pull the bike back up rather than just gently roll on and cruise through what should be an easy curve.

tighter bends i think it goes down a bit too easy and again i have to be in the right gear and proper pull out under power.
i'm on 180s btw, standrd profile..
i think i'll go for something a bit softer at wkend so if someone wants some 1500 mile pilot 2s, pm me!
id rather spend 130 notes than stuff the bike into a kerb...
but thats not std suspension mind, so with the stock setup they may be fine.

i can honestly say i perefer the roadrunners on my cbx for predictability.
i ride them hard til they are warm bwefore i give them welly so it's not just cos theyre cold.... dunno, personal choice i think but the maxiss are still going on.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Whoa Nelly

Post by Whoa Nelly »

I've done about 1k miles on the Supermaxxes and they're fine - they make the Storm feel much quicker to drop in to turns, and seem plenty grippy. But the bike feels noticably more squirrely holding a line in bends - I wonder if its just that they are that much more sensitive and the shortcomings in the bike's suspension have suddenly become more obvious?
WN! '99 Firestorm, furry dice & 2lbs of dead insects
keepy

Post by keepy »

thanks for the replys y'all.

In terms of the type of riding I do, its mostly commuting (either up the A34 to Manchester, or at the minute over Near Liverpool Airport from Macclesfield) so end up being in varied conditions, however I'll take the car if its pi55ing it down in the morning, dont mind getting wet on the way home tho (so long as I'm dry when I get to work).

But every few weekends I get my jiggy on and go for a spirited ride over to Buxton/Sheffield or the Ponderosa.... So I suppose I'm after the miricle tyre that covers all bases! :-)

I don't overly spank it but I'm not a Sunday plodder.... more smooth type riding at a decent pace, not that eratic. Prob why I'm getting 130 miles out of a tank of Go-Go juice.

Right now the Maxxis are sounding good or the Corsa 3's
SlingVTR

Post by SlingVTR »

Corsa 3's, budget for replacement in 900 miles, my avon viper sports are gonna be dead with about 900 mile total....gulp. 8O :eek2
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

SlingVTR wrote:Corsa 3's, budget for replacement in 900 miles, my avon viper sports are gonna be dead with about 900 mile total....gulp. 8O :eek2
Good to hear, I am fed up of people telling me they get 3K from a set of tyres :clap: :thumbup:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
SlingVTR

Post by SlingVTR »

Good to hear, I am fed up of people telling me they get 3K from a set of tyres :clap: :thumbup:[/quote]

I have ridden big bore tyre rippers over the last few years and do 25k a year, which means about 10 rears a year, now the only tyre that did any more miles than any other was Pirelli Angels, I got 4200 out of that and I was amazed, I didnt buy another......... :?: :?: It was the worst feeling tyre I have ever used, dry road step outs, front end vagueness etc. It wore well but everytime I went out my ass hole was clenched so tight I could feel it in my throat. :lol:
keepy

Post by keepy »

HOLY Sh1T !! 900 miles!!

Thats 2 weeks of driving to work and back with one run out to Buxton!
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

This months "Bike" magazine confirms my feelings and rates the BT-023's as some of the best sports touring.....

(feels his purchasing decision vindicated)

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius