Few learnings from latest tour

General Bike chat
bluesman

Few learnings from latest tour

Post by bluesman »

I just realized there was couple of things that seem to be worthy of sharing.\
Since my latest tour was definitely..ahm...on let say fast side of riding...no officer, only on closed roads...ahm..

Anyway, we had very aggressive riding and things learned:
1. I changed Dot 4 to Dot 5.1 in brakes before leaving. My bike have stock brake lines replaced with braided running directly off master cylinder.
STOCK pads. After changing dot 4 to dot 5.1 by actually same manufacturer (Ferodo) brakes improved dramatically. I do not understand why at all.
All I did is to flush system empty, refill with dot 5.1 and top up reservoir to top level. My brakes always clean of air in the system, but initial bite improved a lot. Thou it is still properly progressive feel (I hate uber-brakes with one-finger front lock). I know it sounds like BS and I have no explanation to it.
2. Navigon 3310 max in combination with Hein-Gericke magnetic tank minibag with small GPS bag on top rocks. GPS itself was brilliant, never failed me and with this bag putting it on and taking off is one second job as I made connector on line from battery to lighter socket that actually lays in the bag.
3. As mentioned before - Conti Road attack at rear sucks in really aggressive riding.
On travel part
-If you have to pass Belgium (where I live) on your trip - be careful. After last winter state of the roads is beyond tolerable. I mean - I never saw anything like that, especially on e25 and e40 near Liege. You can easily crash because of 15 cm hole between lanes, huge chunks of asphalt missing...really incredible.
-Austria is not light on speed controls. Beware. Quite a few Gatsos and mobile patrools.
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: Few learnings from latest tour

Post by Pete.L »

Austria is not light on speed controls. Beware. Quite a few Gatsos and mobile patrools.
Good job the Gatsos arn't linked to the UK system. Timbo and me would have to take out a mortgage to pay them off :biggrin :biggrin

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
bluesman

Re: Few learnings from latest tour

Post by bluesman »

TSSSSSS!!!!! I am hoping they are not linked to Belgium system too :cool2 or....you know...you been there :biggrin what you said...

Italy towns had warnings about electronic speed control....we actually spent some time looking for some and even checked on internet.
After that group came to conclusion that electronic part of speed controls there is calculator used by policeman to tell you sum of the fine :biggrin
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul