Hi

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
parkergb6

Hi

Post by parkergb6 »

Hi names Geoff,
Just bought an R plate Yellow Firestorm. Has some nice race cans on it and runs like a dream. Replaced all service parts chain sprockets and all brake pads. new tyres this week and change oil in forks. Has anyone any ideas on Cam chain tensioners as it seems from looking at these forums a job that should be done sooner rather than later. My bike has only done 14500 miles. Cheers Guys
Geoff :beer:
benny hedges

Re: Hi

Post by benny hedges »

hi feller :thumbup:
some good converted honda tensioners here if you ask around, rider on a storm does the excellent tt jobbies, or pay £80 for a set of apes from overstockparts or cbrworld in the usa.
what tyres btw?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
parkergb6

Post by parkergb6 »

Ta very much will take a look. Little concerned about these APE ones working loose but will have a proper read up.
I've got a pair of Metzler sport touring tyres coming. Got a good price on them. £125 for pair. Now to get them fitted.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

parkergb6 wrote:. Little concerned about these APE ones working loose .
isn't a problem specifically with ape tensioners - any could work loose, which is why it's good practice to use some loctite on the long bolt, whhichever type of manual cct you choose :thumbup:
have only heard of one other guy on here who's manuals worked loose and he lost some valves, so it is worth taking the extra precaution.
you can't just nip the locknut onto the o-ring and expect it to stay there
it isn't the locknut that comes loose btw, the nyloc nut stayed exactly where i set it - it was the long tensioning bolt that wound itself out.

if ever you notice this has happened, maybe at the lights or on the driveway warming up, don't stop the engine lol or it will definately jump the cog.... you need asbestos fingers to tighten it up while it's running!
sorry if it's put doubts in your mind, but just covering every angle to make the bike more reliable...
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

hi, welcome on in matey :thumbup:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Geoff :thumbup:

You can always do the stopper mod to your CCT's. Have a look here, scroll down to my post (12th post down) on the subject:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 9&start=60

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

1) welcome to the site, enjoy the bike :thumbup:

2) I also recomend the stopper mod for the CCT, gives you all the self tensioning / wear / temperature compensation that Honda planned for, and makes them fail safe if the spring breaks. Most people rush straight to the manual ones and over look this free solution, but it is real easy to do, and you have peace of mind over the known failures of the stock part, and no risk of the tensioner coming undone or over tensioning. What more can you ask for?
AMcQ
parkergb6

Post by parkergb6 »

Thanks Guys will get to this this weekend hopefully. Good input has put my mind at rest. Looking forward to hitting the road.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Hello & welcome Geoff

There is a world of knowledge on here regarding all things VTR and others too, so take a pew, get really comfy and when you have a spare 100 yrs or so, you'll get through all the posts :lol: The guys have a solution for alll things VTR so if you need any advice, just shout, I'm sure we all have encoutered one or two things we've had to contend with since buying ours. Helpful/friendly and very bike mad on here. I'm sure you'll get to meet one or two once folk know which area you are in,as there are often peeps flying around on ride outs.
ABB.
:thumbup:
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!