sp1 tourer! ;-)

General Bike chat
marravtr

sp1 tourer! ;-)

Post by marravtr »

after my trip to scotland on the SP the only draw back was my soft luggage flapping about! and although it was bungie strapped down and loads of anti slip matting under the side bags i still put a couple of small scuff's on the tail plastics! :(
so after lots of head scratching :crazy: and a 48l universal box purchase off fleabay (£29) i've ended up with this, its ugly yes! :lol: but serves the purpose, :wink: 48l box and space on the rack for tent, sleeping bag ect, rack sits 2" higher so i can access the underseat area for plugging in sat nav, phone charger ect, best of all 4 bolts and the whole thing is off when i get to where im going :biggrin roll on next road trip! :thumbup:

total cost inc top box £50 :D who says you cant tour on an SP :lol:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
cliveyandrews

Re: sp1 tourer! ;-)

Post by cliveyandrews »

Very clever!

However, if I was rich (and well) enough to have an SP, I think I would have to tour with no plastics barring a VISA!
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

=====================================================
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Just post stuff to yourself at your destination.
:D

TBH it's a bit too much faffing about if you're only going to the chippy, as your pie's cold by the time the postman calls, but at least it still keeps the aerodynamics clean.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Do those rear brackets just mount into the plate/plastics Marra?
SP1's rock!
taffr

Post by taffr »

if your gonna put stuff like luggage on the back of a sportsbike its a good idea to cover the plastics with masking tape or insulation tape, big thick stuff, this will look shite but when you get back peel it off and the plastics will be good as new :thumbup:

ps did you have meccano as a child?? :beer:
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

Jbrebel wrote:Do those rear brackets just mount into the plate/plastics Marra?
yes john, drilled through each side, 12mm threaded bar right through, couple of locking nuts on the inside (cant see em in the pics, then bolted the support bars to the outside, its very solid! the heaviest thing i could find was 20kg of spuds in the kitchen :lol: chucked em in the box and had a 10 mile ride round the back lanes near me! aint moved a mil so far :wink: when its all off ive got 2 black plugs that go in the hole's so you'd never know they we're there, need to do a longer run yet to see if it needs more support, but so far so good :thumbup:

cheers tim i'll have a look for pete's thread :thumbup:

taffr, i loved meccano as a kid! :lol: still have the scar's to prove it :biggrin
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hay that's neat! :D
Beats my block of wood any day :thumbup: Cost twice as much and doesn't come off with the ignition key though :wink:
The cut slots keep the bags from moving and the angled profile make sure the bags also stay in line with the plastics. Notice the huge cut out at the fron so I can still fit my a$$ in the seat :lol:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

marravtr wrote:
Jbrebel wrote:Do those rear brackets just mount into the plate/plastics Marra?
yes john, drilled through each side, 12mm threaded bar right through, couple of locking nuts on the inside (cant see em in the pics, then bolted the support bars to the outside, its very solid! the heaviest thing i could find was 20kg of spuds in the kitchen :lol: chucked em in the box and had a 10 mile ride round the back lanes near me! aint moved a mil so far :wink: when its all off ive got 2 black plugs that go in the hole's so you'd never know they we're there, need to do a longer run yet to see if it needs more support, but so far so good :thumbup:
Uffff....I don't think I would feel too comfortable with that TBH. I would bet that the plastic will allow the holes to elongate, or the plastic will fail. Plus the flat strips will have no sideways strength, allowing the whole shooting match to wobble side-to-side. Pretty disastrous if it all falls onto the back wheel.

Would it not be possible to fabricate some bars to pick up on the pillion pegs?

I used some Offord throwovers and an Oxford tailpack on my recent jolly to Scotland. Solid as a rock, no scratches anywhere. Plus the butt of the Fireblade doesn't lend itself well to throwovers as it is fairly wide and tapers a lot (damn underseat zorst). It's all down to how you fix 'em to the bike.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

That's why I asked Steve.

Got to agree-don't think I'd trust the undertray/plate mount to hold that kind of weight. Not without a better bracing system in place. You'd probably be better copying this sports rack system Marra.

http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/products/ ... ystem.aspx

I had similar problems with my Buell-one dead sleeping bag, visor, visor bag and roll mat later I've learnt my lesson :thumbup: :lol: doh! :x
SP1's rock!
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Jbrebel wrote:That's why I asked Steve.

Got to agree-don't think I'd trust the undertray/plate mount to hold that kind of weight. Not without a better bracing system in place. You'd probably be better copying this sports rack system Marra.

I had similar problems with my Buell-one dead sleeping bag, visor, visor bag and roll mat later I've learnt my lesson :thumbup: :lol: doh! :x
I have heard of those Ventura systems breaking....and when you see the design its not surprising.

@MarraVTR: I have an old Renntec grab-handle that has had a bit chopped out of it. You are welcome to it to cannibalise. It picks up on the seat cowl bolts (as you have done) and has slots which fit into the rails under the seat pad. You could easily weld the tray on top and bolt the top-box to it. It'd be a lot more solid than something bolted to a flappy bit of plastic.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

Zakalwe wrote:
Jbrebel wrote:That's why I asked Steve.

I have heard of those Ventura systems breaking....and when you see the design its not surprising.

@MarraVTR: I have an old Renntec grab-handle that has had a bit chopped out of it. You are welcome to it to cannibalise. It picks up on the seat cowl bolts (as you have done) and has slots which fit into the rails under the seat pad. You could easily weld the tray on top and bolt the top-box to it. It'd be a lot more solid than something bolted to a flappy bit of plastic.
you have pm matey :thumbup:
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Zakalwe wrote:I have heard of those Ventura systems breaking....and when you see the design its not surprising.
I can imagine they probably do depending on how you load them. It'd need better engineering should someone make one.

Lets us know how you get on Marra :thumbup: anythings got to be better than paying a bomb for a bit of welded metal like that Ventura system :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

Jbrebel wrote:
Zakalwe wrote:I have heard of those Ventura systems breaking....and when you see the design its not surprising.
I can imagine they probably do depending on how you load them. It'd need better engineering should someone make one.

Lets us know how you get on Marra :thumbup: anythings got to be better than paying a bomb for a bit of welded metal like that Ventura system :thumbup:
will do john, got a rack off zakalwe on the way :thumbup: so gonna splice everything together solid! once done if you wanna borrow it just giz a shout :wink: