Blowing rear exhaust gasket

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
cunningstunt

Blowing rear exhaust gasket

Post by cunningstunt »

I've been noticing that on the over run the bike has been popping back down the pipes more than usual. It's got art race cans on it and have noticed today while checking it over that it has no packing gaskets from the link pipes to header pipes and also the rear header joint is blowing, which would explain the extra popping back. What's the best way to replace this? Do i have to drop the whole down pipes or can i get away with just taking the rear one off on it's own and can someone point me in the right direction as to the link pipe gaskets and rear joint gasket?
would make more use of a set of butt sliders these days
Wicky

Re: Blowing rear exhaust gasket

Post by Wicky »

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Mod ... up/MUFFLER

Copy the part no over to Dave Silvers search by part no.

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/part ... rt-number/

I recommend you get stainless steels Mikalor Supra Hose Clamps (marine grade) to hold it all together
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
cunningstunt

Post by cunningstunt »

Thanks for the info. All the parts are in stock apart from one. Just need to know if i can take off the rear downpipe seperate or if i have to drop the whole lot of to replace the leaking gasket? Anyone help me out before i do needless work?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If you remove both silencers, and link pipes if you have them, you can just slacken the fornt head to pipe clamp and allow the pipes to droop down, then you can just remove the rear downpipe and leave the 2:1:2 header in place.
But as you've gone that far, it's only a minute more to remove it.

Then it's out of the way, and you won't catch it on something and snap front ex studs.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
cunningstunt

Post by cunningstunt »

Thanks Tony and yes, i may as well drop the lot off while i'm at it. The link pipes on the bike to the downpipes don't have gaskets at the monent,as i found out at the weekend, just a big blob of exhaust paste trying to pack out a fairly big gap, so i may as well do those while i'm at it so best order a pair of port gaskets and 3 of the 18392-MG7-750's and do it right.
cunningstunt

Post by cunningstunt »

Finally took the exhaust system off today and I have discovered why it was blowing in several places!
1) No exhaust port gaskets fitted, just flange to flange!
2) No rear collector gasket fitted, just pushed in and flopping about with some putty on it and the clamp wound up to it's max but not actually touching the inner pipe!
3) No gaskets fitted to the link pipes, just wound up tight with some more putty to try and get a seal and finally.............
4) Rear downpipe bolts at the head end were finger tight on the top and undone on the bottom bolt!!
Not surprising it was blowing really is it?? How it has lasted for the few months i have had it without blowing i will never know. I just don't understand why people bodge things up knowing they will not last. All gaskets have now been renewed and i've tarted up the downpipes with some nice black exhaust wrap for that race look..............oh and to hide the rusty bits :lol: Just need to dremmel the belly pan a bit now to fit that back on with the wrap. Time for a large :beer: now me thinks and wondering what else the previous owner has bodged up pre sale ready for me to renew it :thumbdown:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

where did you get the bandage from bud - i want some to stop it blistering my belly pan when i get round to respraying it.

btw - just discovered blind melon :cool2 :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
cunningstunt

Post by cunningstunt »

Bandage was this one on fleabay. This is 3mm thick and he also does 1.5mm thick if you want that.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-GRAPHITE-EX ... 5595911118

There is enough to do every part of the downpipes from port flanges to the link flanges front and back and the u bend and i had about a foot spare. Comes with 3 ties but to be honest you will need about 10-15 to do it properly. Best order those from ebay too as they are £1 each in Halfrauds but £3 inc postage for 10 or more on there. Mine arrived within 48 hours and it was free post so bargain :D :D :D :D
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

nice one i;ll have some of that.
i blagged some beigey stuff from a site i work on, off a big diesel genny, but it's fkin asbestos!
dont fancy using that tbh :roll:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
cunningstunt

Post by cunningstunt »

It goes on really well. I did the front port end first and clamped it with a tie, held the system in the vice and really pulled it tight as i went along the pipework to get the over wraps flat and tied it as i went then did the rear downpipe seperate in the same way. The wrap lies really flat but wear gloves and a long sleeved top when you do it and your hands and arms will itch like mad, as i found out half way through!
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Keep an eye on wrapped exhausts. A few guys over on Speedzilla wrapped the rear pipes on their SPs to give the rear shock an easier time.
The higher temps really kill the headers....the stainless isn't of a very high quality. The pipes were literally rotting form the inside out when wrapped.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
cunningstunt

Post by cunningstunt »

Oh well mines all done now and it isn't coming back off unless it falls to bits then that's a good excuse to buy stainless headers.