Don't own a VTR, well not a complete one anyway...

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
renrut

Re: Don't own a VTR, well not a complete one anyway...

Post by renrut »

Pete.L wrote:Have you tried reversing the ignition coils? Could it be sparking on the rear when it should be on the front? I haven't looked so I don't know if it's possible but it's just a thought.

Pete.l
Yeah I've tried that already, several times. Reset the diagnostics and the fault still comes back. The fact that I reverse it and it doesn't seem to be any worse or better suggests to me that the ignition timing is way out of whack.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Sounds like you need to get your hands on a stroboscope. At least that way yo can tell if the timing is off or not. Definitely sounds like a weird one to me :?
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
renrut

Post by renrut »

Right. I took the crank cover off the other night, couldn't see anything amiss, couple of metal flakes on the sensor magnet but that was it, wires all intact, continuity through it (but not zero res) so that seemed all ok. Put it back together cleaned the connector to the loom although its got a long swipe so shouldn't have been necessary.

Got my timing light out. Not to check the timing (only really works once the engine is running) but to see that both sparks were firing regularly when I cranked it. If they didn't fire then the light shouldn't flash. With that hooked up I could see that both sparks were firing while cranking.

Pulled the choke out to max (tried this before mind) and squirted a healthy dose of WD40 in the throttles. Tried to crank and still it didn't start. But I was getting flames out the throttles if I teased them open a bit. :eek2

This made me think a bit longer on it. Maybe my exhaust was blocking too much. I've got a catalytic converter on there as well as a CBR1000rr silencer with a fancy valve on it (bloody late 90s car requirements!). So I pulled the silencer off. Cranked it over a couple of times on full choke and it burst into life and settled at a nice steady idle. :clap:

I've since started it up a few times and it starts on the button now every time. But its so damned loud, almost deafening on idle, and painful to hear. I've chopped the exhaust valve off the CBR1000rr silencer as I believe this was causing too much of a restriction on top of everything else and thats why it wasn't starting :shifty: But even with the silencer back on its still deafening so I think I'll have to check that the manifold is on right.

Would the airbox have much effect on the noise as I've still got that off so I can tidy wiring up around it?

Oh and thanks for all the help so far guys! :thumbup:
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Well done you.
And YES! they are loud :clap: My Sp roars as much from the air box as it does from the pipes :thumbup: ...well almost.

Pete.l
Darknomad

Post by Darknomad »

good to hear cant wait for some hugh toob vids
east london/essex [leyton ]
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard renrut :thumbup: I like the project you have on the go. Glad you've finally got it fired up :D

Chris.
renrut

Post by renrut »

Thanks guys. Will post some vids once I'm happy with how its running. At the moment its still deafening.

Trying to work out why I opened the cam cover and had a look.

Is something missing from the end of the cam shaft? :confused
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

lol, if you are looking for a camchain you wont find one - they are gear driven on the rc51 :thumbup:
i think you should give those camshafts to me tho...
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Are you on about mechanically noisy as well.
There is a set of quietner gears which run with the cam drive, some folks like to remove them to make the bike a bit lighter. Not worth it in my opinion, no power gains and only weigh a few ounces, may as well have a good turn out before you go out if you ask me :P

Pete.l
renrut

Post by renrut »

Yeah it is very mechanically noisy. Something I only realised once I got the silencer on properly.

Figured the whole cam drive system is normally the culprit for such noises unless the engine really is dead.

Didn't think it was a chain drive otherwise it would have been
:eek2 wtf is my chain! :eek2
The gears I can see look to be offset, does that mean I'm missing the quietener gears? How easy are they to refit? once I've found some to fit that is. I don't think a few ounces is gonna make a performance difference when its in a car weighing over 600kg.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Have a close look at figure 8 and figure 9

http://www.motophotos.com/rc51online/Mo ... index.html

They show the silencing gears in place. Your pic doesn't have any. :sad2
I've not played with it but the right up looks quite straight forward. Looks like you have another job on your hands....or earplugs :D
Pete.l
renrut

Post by renrut »

Thanks for that link, explains whats likely been done.

Got some industrial size ear defenders I use when grinding and its still fairly loud. Ear plugs probably aren't a good long term solution, so the gears will need to be reinstated.

Is it likely any of the rest of the gear train will have had the same treatment or is it just those on the cams? The cams I can cope with as I can do that without removing much at all, but if I need to dig deeper into the engine thats when it becomes a pig to do!
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

As far as I know that's it. I know some folk dovetail thier gear change dogs but there arn't really a lot of gains to be had without spending big money on the engine so most folk leave them alone and just put bigger airboxes on, remove the Pair emissions junk and remap them.
Hopefully your will be an unmolested one too :thumbup:

pete.l
renrut

Post by renrut »

Still needs ear defenders for any serious length of time in it on anything more than tickover, its like firing a machine gun inside a tin can! :crazy:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i think you should read this! :biggrin

http://www.rethink.org/document.rm?id=700
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.