help

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sepia

help

Post by sepia »

have i knacked it.

had we bit of a oil leak from top of cam chain cover.lost one of the washers when fitting ccts.had used instint gasket for now.thot leak was sorted but noticed a wee bit oil today.gave the bolt quater of a turn & it snapped.left threaded bit in hole.any easy way to be sorted & can ride bike ok till it is.

what an idiot.

steve.
benny hedges

Re: help

Post by benny hedges »

should come out easy enough tbh assuming you didn't use thread locking sh1t on it.

i had a leak from the same place on mine, turned out i'd put 2 washers on one bolt and none on the other lol!
i thought i'd lost one as well but it was on another bolt lol.
you can get new seals from any honda dealer or silvers / wemoto.
you are sposed to change them every time you lift the cam cover! :roll:

i reckon you will be able to screw it out by tapping it round with a small screwdriver or woodscrew.
patience :thumbup:
you need to sort it tho or you could warp the cam cover or lose a lot of oil from the top, wreck the cams etc :thumbdown:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sepia

Post by sepia »

thanks benny.

do you mean putting screwdeiver down hole & tapin anticlockwise till slack & then how do i get it out if i get it slack.what do you mean by woodscrew?.

if cant get out is there anything i can buy from local halfords that could keep it in place for now.

ps dont supose anyone has a spare bolt they dont need,lol.

cheers steve.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

you'd be better taking the cam cover off tbh then you can get at it.
chances are if it's sheared off it will have a raised bit on the broken part and you should be able to tap it (gently) undone with something sharp - ie a long woodscrew or nail.

if you have snapped it by bottoming it out it will be tight tho (initially) and you might have to drill it out & use a small stud extractor. (halfords)
alternatively you might be able to use a dremel to grind a slot in the top of the broken bit and screw it out? obviously protect the cams from swarf and be carefull not to crouton up the sealing face of the head where the rubber gasket goes

i suppose for now you could get a long m6 bolt & washer to use til you get a new proper bolt.
i had some on my spare 750 engine but binned it unfortunately - im sure someone will have some?
they're mostly all the same part iirc, not a special bolt for the storm, so any local bike breaker will have some. and the washers / seals.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Steve,

The cam cover bolts do snap off pretty easily if over tightened. IMHO they are a stupid design. However the threaded bit can't bottom out as there is a shoulder at the top of the threaded part to stop this happening. So the chances are with a little patience you will be able to get this snapped off part out.

You will need to remove the cam cover to do this (as Benny says) and hopefully it's the rear cylinder that needs doing, as the front one is harder to get at.

I would get this broken part out asap, just in case it should work lose with vibration if you use the bike, then drop down into the engine, who knows what damage it might do then.

Chris.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I did similar when replacing my cam chain covers. Luckily it was the rear cylinder as I had to resort to drilling it out, an eazyout and retapping the hole. I was extra careful to cover everything in old rag so as not to get any swarf in the engine. I have a spare in an old engine if you need one but I'm off on holiday Monday for 2 weeks so can't do anything before then I'm afraid.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

sepia

Post by sepia »

thanks guys.

dont ask me how but the broken bit of thread was lying out.so god knows how that happened.still saved me a job.

got a 6m bolt just a wee bit smaller.think will do till get another.

will go over bike breakers monday & see if have another.

but will be handy if someone has a spare just incase,dont have the washer either.

cheers steve.
sepia

Post by sepia »

can anyone explain how i can snap cam cover bolt & the broken bit should still be screwed in but was lying in the cam.

im baffled by this & wont sleep now,lol.

im glad i didnt have to try & get it out & it didnt fall into engine.

ps still looking for a spare bolt & washer if anyone can help,will pay.

thanks steve.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

maybe you crossed it, ie it didnt go into the threaded hole but to the side a little... easily done.
i would guess if that happened there would be some witness marks inside the head, like the casting chewed up a bit where the thread of the bolt went?
Dazjm

Post by Dazjm »

You can order proper ones from Silvers, think it should take 7-10 days, did for me when they ordered stuff in.

Think these r the parts ur after.

Bolt : http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/part ... 002MY5850/

Rubber washer : http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/part ... ber_16361/
sepia

Post by sepia »

thot that.but when you catch the thread the bolt sits up a bit then screws down & if you dont catch thread the bolt goes down to washer.it was deffo siting up when i put it in & didnt screw in till felt the bite.

but you could be right as it didnt unscrew its self by magic,i hope not anyway,lol.
sepia

Post by sepia »

Dazjm wrote:You can order proper ones from Silvers, think it should take 7-10 days, did for me when they ordered stuff in.

Think these r the parts ur after.

Bolt : http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/part ... 002MY5850/

Rubber washer : http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/part ... ber_16361/
thanks dazjm,but dont have money in bank till wed.hoping breakers have one but every time i ask for vtr bits he says no before i finish sentence,lol.unless its a standard honda cam bolt & then think he should have.but will order if have to.
sepia

Post by sepia »

went bike breakers & 3 bike shops today & no luck on bolt & washer.

they can order but takes up to 7days once get part numbers.

so will have to wait till wed & try & order.unless some kind sole can sell me on here.

losing oil,but should be enough till get one.

thanks for help anyway.

steve.
sepia

Post by sepia »

was looking @ the parts dazjm put up.is that the right washer,just it says for tank???.

is this the right washer i need or does anyone know the part number for the right one if it isnt.

still looking to buy bolt & washer of a member if poss.

cheers steve.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

sepia wrote:
still looking to buy bolt & washer of a member if poss.

cheers steve.
Steve,

I'd suggest you start a new post in the Sales and Wants section, as not everyone will have read this.

Good luck.

Chris.