VFR to VTR

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
iggsz!

VFR to VTR

Post by iggsz! »

Hi all, just bought a standard'ish 2001 vtr by accident on Ebay (bit drunk…clickety click).
First impressions are it goes like stonk and pulls in third like it does in first (been on a vfr for a few years so use to smooth power) however I cant get used to the riding position yet.

Has anyone tried handlebar risers to make the position a bit more upright?

Cheers
Twinpotter

Re: VFR to VTR

Post by Twinpotter »

Welcome Iggsz
iggsz! wrote:been on a vfr for a few years so use to smooth power) however I cant get used to the riding position yet.
If it's the Viffer 8 (I've been on one a few times), that does offer a smooth delivery but it'll sound like a Singer sowing machine in comparison to the Storm :D . That and the Storm is much narrower and intuitively balanced making it easier to throw about. IMO anyways.

I was given a pair of 'touring' bars but didn't even bother trying as for me it felt just right (not too over/low and not too upright/back). Unless you're short (or short armed) please don't ruin it but putting high bars on it unless you want a commuter ride - the Storm is nowhere near that civilized and nor should it be. :D
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard iggsz :thumbup:

A funny thing you mention a VFR as some Firestorm owners have fitted VFR handle bars.

Chris.
iggsz!

Post by iggsz! »

The VTR power delivery is growing on me, I jumped back on my VFR (750FT - stage 1 with about 110 bhp at the wheel) and it felt like a wheezy old hack! I agree the VTR handles much better as well, it feels much lighter and shorter.

Thanks for the tip re VFR handlebars, looks like that will give a few cm increase in bar height.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

iggsz! wrote: Thanks for the tip re VFR handlebars, looks like that will give a few cm increase in bar height.
I've not tried VFR bars myself. Some say they didn't need to trim the fairing, whereas other did. If the switch gear does touch the fairing it'll be when turning the steering on full lock.

Chris.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

sirch345 wrote:
iggsz! wrote: Thanks for the tip re VFR handlebars, looks like that will give a few cm increase in bar height.
I've not tried VFR bars myself. Some say they didn't need to trim the fairing, whereas other did. If the switch gear does touch the fairing it'll be when turning the steering on full lock.

Chris.
the switchgear only just rubs the lobes on the fairing, right at the end.
it's the master cylinders that are the problem - that's why i put the cbx ones on mine cos they are low and flat instead of big round efforts.
and they look nice :D

from under the mirror mount, you only need to trim off 1/2" (leaving a 1/2" edge under the screen) and the mc's and switchgear don't touch, even on full lock.

it is a lot more comfy at granny speeds, but get over 120+ and it gets a bit tiring.
i thought mine handled better with the vfr bars - so well that i fell off lol :oops:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
vtrbarmy

Post by vtrbarmy »

iggsz! wrote:Hi all, just bought a standard'ish 2001 vtr by accident on Ebay (bit drunk…clickety click).
First impressions are it goes like stonk and pulls in third like it does in first (been on a vfr for a few years so use to smooth power) however I cant get used to the riding position yet.

Has anyone tried handlebar risers to make the position a bit more upright?

Cheers
Yep, I've got the handlebar risers on mine and for me they make the riding position a lot more comfortable. The only thing I found was that I had to fit a braided clutch cable (I was going to anyway, but fitting the risers forced me to do it). They will fit (just) with the standard clutch cable, but does put a bit of a strain on it. No problem with handlebars hitting either the fairing or the tank (although some others seem to have had that problem).

Personally would throughly recommend them, as I was on the point of selling my VTR due to the uncomfortable riding position (for me) putting too much strain on my wrists.

Oh one other mod which helps, but is purely your choice - fit a double bubble screen, given you are a bit higher (about 19mm) it helps with the wind.

The ones I fitted were these (ebay item no: 130420922113). had to file a couple of small flats on the screws where they fit into the top yoke to get a real snug fit which only took a couple of mins
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Hi and welcome aboard, even if it were a mistake lol....The advice on the screen is good and I have an MRA screen,which imo is better than a double bubble as directs wind right up over the top of me and I'm tall. The DB screen tried to rip my head off at speed...the MRA is a different shape.

You do get used to the riding position but I came from a Suzuki to this bike and the Suzuki was terrible for the comfort factor on the wrists. I have a long reach but the Storm is a much more comfortable ride for me..
ABB.
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
iggsz!

Post by iggsz! »

:D Thanks for the welcome and advice all, I am going to give some 41mm vfr bars a go as I am commuting/blapping across London every day, the bike came with a bubble screen so will see how that works. I will keep the stock bars for track days!

Ok next on my list is new brake lines, hugger, shock, springs…
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

welcome in matey
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........