Firestorm takes a tumble

General Bike chat
cunningstunt

Firestorm takes a tumble

Post by cunningstunt »

I had some one pull out in front of me the other day, usual " didn't see you " excuse even when i had headlight on and Frank Thomas Dri Viz clothing on and while taking avoiding action instead of having my leg broken by the wing and bumper,the front tucked and we had a nice slide down the road on the RH side :(
She has admitted liability and the bike is still rideable thanks to the R&G crash bungs but I've just taken it to the dealer for repair estimate and he reckons it will be beyond economical repair and listed the following:
RH and LH fairing panels due to cracking LH side by mirror point
Screen mounting bracket
RH mirror
Rear footrest
RH enging casing
RH exhaust can
RH front lever
RH indicator
Pair crash bungs
RH hero blob
Rear footrest assembly
Gaskets and of course labour charges on top
Clothing wise: Shoei XR 1100 scrapped and glove scrapped so for very little noticeable damage looks like it will get written off :( :(
Looking at the photo of it you would never know the damage but new parts and labour soon add up but i don't really want to get rid of it. I can still ride it and other than a few battle scars it's as good as before.
What's the proceedure for buying it back and doing it yourself, anyone know and will it come back as cat reg'd after?
would make more use of a set of butt sliders these days
benny hedges

Re: Firestorm takes a tumble

Post by benny hedges »

mine was similar m8, well maybe a bit worse, and i got the option to buy it back for £70 salvage value!
obviously i did.

i spy a streetfighter project there or maybe a respray and some new bits.
ie, dogleg levers ebay £25
replace pegs with harris rearsets, £100
rh fairing 25+
mirrors 15 - 20
fairing baracket 25+
indicators 30
rh casing 50ish

the front yokes are made of plasticine as well so might be worth swapping them out, 25, plus new bearings 30
soon adds up but for a few 100 you will get a better bike out of it.

good luck m8, glad you didn't get hurt :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Bugger :( hope it gets sorted :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Put germolene and plasters over the damage.

After all, the exhaust's already bandaged.....
:wink:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Unlucky mate, see what the ins say they make a decision based on the buy it back estimate.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I had my 97 storm knocked over while parked up last year and the parts bill estimate (mainly cosmetic) would have made it a write-off. When the engineer came to inspect it at my house I told him of my intention to buy it back if it was a write off and fix it back up with 2nd hand parts. On that basis he only reported damage just under the threshold, so it wasn't written off and I still received a healthy cheque, plus avoided the hassle of having it inspected by DVLA to get it back on the road.

I claimed through my insurance company as I was comprehensive with no loss of my 10 years NCB - presumably as they counter claim from the person at fault. If you deal exclusively with the other parties insurers and engineers they'll probably not be so flexible.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Glad you made it through reasonably OK, although still gutting about your bike and bike gear.

Good luck with a good result from the insurance company. Do keep us posted,

Chris.
cunningstunt

Post by cunningstunt »

I do intend to buy it back if they tell me it's beyond economical repairs. The RH fairing panel only has scratches from where the indicator folded back on it, it's not even cracked it and i'm fairly sure that with some compound it will come out. LH panel has an inch long crack up by the mirror mount so not major, engine casing doesn't leak but has some road rash on it, nothing a rub down and repaint wouldn't sort out or a s/h one will do it and i think the rest of it i could get s/h for under £200 other than the RH can which i will have to buy a pair of, so could end up with a bargain buy back. I will repair all the damaged bits though so will be keeping an eye out on fleabay for the parts.
I can't believe how much the crash bungs saved the bike, i would recomend them to every biker. At the road side there was no plastics to pick up, the bike was still running and all i did was pick it back up and push the indicator back into the holder, adjust the mirror and after swapping details, I rode it to work with no problems but like the bloke at the dealer said yesterday, "It wasn't like it before so it needs replacing!"
I'm not too bad really, still got a very painfull LH thumb and RH shoulder but the rest has gone now so hopefully by next weekend i can get back to normal duties :D I have however found out how undersprung the forks are and that will be one thing i will sort if i keep it.
While i was waiting for the report i was looking at the bikes for sale and was quite taken with the MT-01 so will be booking a test ride very soon i think, even if it's just for a play I want to have a go on it!!
Wife said," Will you be riding it to The Blue Oyster Bar wearing leather chaps! :lol:
Pointblank

Post by Pointblank »

Sorry to see this. Glad your ok .
cunningstunt

Post by cunningstunt »

Had the final report today, not good. Total loss Cat C. Repairs = £2200, bike worth £1750 so can either buy it back for £625 and have the balance to repair it or let it go to salvage and have the full £1750. Not sure what to do and if having it cat C reg'd will put the insurance up?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

ah decisions decisions.....
but saying that, if you took the bike back, and broke it for spares, you would make over a grand easy....
sorry bud, have i just made it even more complicated!

it'd be very sad to see such a fine specimen written off for what seems such minor damage!
do you have the heart to turn off the switch for the last time....

i had the same dilemma with mine and every time i looked at it i thought, mmmhh it int so bad...
i believe i now have a better bike than before the crash
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
cunningstunt

Post by cunningstunt »

I have 99% made my mind up to keep it and use the money to repair the main bits, ie: mirror, rear brake lever, fairing support frame and a new set of crash bungs but the rest of it can stop as it is unless i find a mint set of red fairing panels. I will be adding a set of progressive springs though and keeping my eye out for a s/h uprated rear shock, just missed one on ebay other than that i really don't see the point of spending £1000 just for the sake of it when it doesn't need it. It's a 12 year old bike and although i don't like the scratches to the fairing and the crack on the left hand side i can live with them for £1000 in the butt pocket! Final decision will be on how much my insurance will go up for a cat c bike, if it's stupid money then it wil be a tough one to call. :confused
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

why dont you put a progressive rear spring in the std rear shock instead of spending loads on it - new yacugar spring is 80 from ftr - mines still in its box, not had chance to fit it yet....
insurance hasnt gone up on mine at all m8
cunningstunt

Post by cunningstunt »

That sounds like a plan then! Sod the fairings , i can live with a few battle scars. You got a link to the site and what front springs would be good? i know the ones out of a ballpoint pen are probably stronger but will not fit :lol:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

cunningstunt wrote:That sounds like a plan then! Sod the fairings , i can live with a few battle scars. You got a link to the site and what front springs would be good? i know the ones out of a ballpoint pen are probably stronger but will not fit :lol:
i put wirth prog springs in my forks from wemoto and theyre very good, braking in bends no problem when i have to lol... they were on offer at the time so were a bargain, i think theyre about 85 now

or have a look here - yacugar are very good quality - the rear is black powder coated - if you are local pop in and they will fit them for you.
they told me theyd fit the spring to the shock for me for nawt if i sent it in...

they also do front progs.
very helpfull & knowledgeable in their field.

http://www.ftrsuspension.co.uk/yacugarroadproducts.htm you will not be disappointed.

fairings will pop up at the right price eventually.
i it was more important to me to get the mechanical things how i wanted before poncing about making it look pretty...