Later Firestorm clipons on older Firestorm?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VooDooChris

Later Firestorm clipons on older Firestorm?

Post by VooDooChris »

Hiya,

I've read somewhere that the later Firestorms have slightly more comfortable clipon's than the earlier ones. Is it true? Anyone know what the difference between them is? Anyone tried changing to them and noticed a (positive) difference? Or is the difference insignificant?

I quite fancy trying a slightly higher handlebar position, but don't want to fit VFR bars and cut the fairing, and I don't really like the look of the risers kits on the market (though I've not had chance to have a look at a bike with the kit fitted, but it looks like the kit will decrease the contact area between the clipons and the stantions - not something I'm that keen on).

Cheers

VC
tony.mon

Re: Later Firestorm clipons on older Firestorm?

Post by tony.mon »

Not sure if there's' a difference between them- maybe a local breaker with some of each in stock could compare them for you?

Re risers, they seem to work ok, several people on here have fitted them and no horror stories that I'm aware of- "clip on came off in my hand" etc.

The other possibility is machining the top yoke to accept flat bars, just choose rises/bar clamps that give you the required position.

Beware of brake and clutch line lengths- too much lift and you'll need new lines.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

If you need some making I think mine cost me around 60-70 notes from Spondon a few years back.

They'll do any drop/length you need.
SP1's rock!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VooDooChris wrote:Hiya,

I've read somewhere that the later Firestorms have slightly more comfortable clipon's than the earlier ones. Is it true? Anyone know what the difference between them is? Anyone tried changing to them and noticed a (positive) difference? Or is the difference insignificant?
I did just that, fit the later bars to my bike. Mike is right though, they are pretty hard to come-by. See link below:-

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... handlebars

Chris.
cunningstunt

Post by cunningstunt »

Found this one on Ebay 190327045285. I know it's only one but might be worth grabbing it and wait for the other side to come up at some point or mail the guy and see if he has the R/H bar too ?: :?: :?: :?:
would make more use of a set of butt sliders these days
SlingVTR

Post by SlingVTR »

Dont bother the bars are not extreme anyway and are comfy for all day mucking about, save yer cash, if you find the old bars too uncomfy then look at a Hardly Worthitson :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gerrit

Post by Gerrit »

The Storm should have been launched with high bars, the bike is so much better this way, see my bike below.

Only had to shave the fairing a bit, all cables etc are stock

Gerrit

vtrbarmy

Post by vtrbarmy »

I've fitted the 19mm risers to my Storm, def give a much nicer riding position (for me at least) takes some of the strain off of the wrists. As said before, if you still have standard rubber pipes fitted for clutch and brake they are a bit short (clutch especially), so worth fitting braided hoses (actually worth doing anyway, my clutch and brakes so much better now).

I know what you are saying about them going over the top of the stanchions, but really have had no problems at all, once they are on they are absolutely solid. If you want a more relaxed riding position then I would thoroughly recommend.
VooDooChris

Post by VooDooChris »

Hiya,

Thanks for the feed back. Plenty of food for thought. Oddly enough, I have few discomfort problems on longer runs. However my regular ride is through the traffic jams in to Manchester city centre. It seems the constant braking and clutch work is what does for my wrists and makes my hands numb.

Might look at a set of those risers after all. If you don't have to slide the forks through the steerer clamp any, then I might just get a set and give them a go. Can anyone post any pictures of the risers fitted? Do they only come in the 19mm rise? Do they really only take 10 minutes to fit?

Cheers

VC
vtrbarmy

Post by vtrbarmy »

VooDooChris wrote:Hiya,

Thanks for the feed back. Plenty of food for thought. Oddly enough, I have few discomfort problems on longer runs. However my regular ride is through the traffic jams in to Manchester city centre. It seems the constant braking and clutch work is what does for my wrists and makes my hands numb.

Might look at a set of those risers after all. If you don't have to slide the forks through the steerer clamp any, then I might just get a set and give them a go. Can anyone post any pictures of the risers fitted? Do they only come in the 19mm rise? Do they really only take 10 minutes to fit?

Cheers

VC
Same problem I had, and the risers cured that for me. Not saying its a 100% cure but heaps better than it was before, and I get better control (IMO) as well with the slightly more upright position. Didn't have toadjust my forks any when I fitted mine, just off with the circlip on top of the clip-on, slid clip-on off, fitted riser, fitted clip-on, clamped it up, job done.

I haven't cracked loading photos on this site yet, but if you want to pm me your email, I'll take a couple of photos of those fitted to mine this weekend (or earlier if I can) and mail them to you, no worries. Re 10 minute fit - yes (and no). If one ignores changing the brake/clutch lines (the standard clutch line particularly is very tight, I fitted a Goodrich line and clutch much more positive now and lighter (better for traffic) :thumbup: and it fits perfectly with the riser :thumbup: ), then they go straight on, the only thing I did find was that the allen screws that go in underneath the riser I had to file small flats on either side to get a 100% snug fit into the top yoke (replicating where the standard clip-on goes into the top yoke), but really that only took a couple of mins - so say 15 mins and sorted.

These are the units I have fitted to mine eBay item: 130431486687
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H-BAR-RISERS-VFR7 ... 1e5e528adf