Graphics Cards

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
pariah

Graphics Cards

Post by pariah »

Hello Peeps.
As title, I want to up date my graphic card but not to sure which one I can use. Any pc gamers advise would certainly help.
I have a dxdig log of my system specs for any one to look at and advise on which card to up date to.
:D
Cheers
Rick
benny hedges

Re: Graphics Cards

Post by benny hedges »

seriously mate pc gaming, you're better off with a 360.
you could easily spend 500+ notes on graphics cards and by next year it will be bargain basement, sh1t framerates on the next games.
i nocked it on the head for that reason, gets very very expensive lol.
plus pc gaming there are always so many bugs.
far better off with a console imo. :think:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
SlingVTR

Post by SlingVTR »

Ah, something I know a bit about, basically benny is correct, but have a loo at this puppy which puts out 77 fps at HiDef quality.......
The ATI Radeon HD 5970 is a quality dual 2x1 gig card, it is probably the fastest card in the world and blows consoles away quality wise, I made up a motherboard while at work looking after chickens......dont ask ...for a private customer with a quad core intel set up, now this isnt cheap and will cost you half a pristine firestorm...........but if you want a good card this doesnt get any better......till next week.......
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

On the other side of the coin, XBox is basically a gaming PC in a Box and you have that already so why spend out on a load of new stuff? It need not cost a fortune for a good gaming card and I might go as far to suggest that you'll find a decent one (for about £120) that'll keep yer gaming spec up to scratch for years to come. PCI-E or AGP? Do pop your system details up.
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
pariah

Post by pariah »

Ok does this help any .? :think:
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)Install Language: English (United States)System Locale: English (United Kingdom)
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)Install Language: English (United States)System Locale: English (United Kingdom)

Processor a
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium D16 kilobyte primary memory cache2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache64-bit readyMulti-core (2 total)Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board b
Board: ConRoe1333-D667 Bus Clock: 200 megahertzBIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.30 07/17/2007

Memory Modules c,d
2048 Megabytes Usable Installed MemorySlot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MBSlot 'DIMM1' has 1024 MB
Drives
320.06 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity280.76 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free SpaceCD-ROM Drive [Optical drive]3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]SAMSUNG HD321KJ [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 0, s/n S0MQJ1KPB20552, rev CP100-12, SMART Status: Healthy

Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 320.06 GB 280.76 GB free

Display
ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series [Display adapter]Medion MD2617TL [Monitor] (16.9"vis, s/n 9IL440002916, October 2004)
Multimedia
ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01Realtek High Definition Audio

Power supply is 450 watts
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

run this - this will tell you everything....
http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.55-setup-en.exe

more interested in the 'mainboard' tab to see what gfx slot you have...

and what graphics card you have now.... used to pretty good at overclocking so maybe you can squeeze more out of the card you already have...

*oh, i see you have a radeon 2400 :oops: never mind!

yes, it's time to upgrade... but before gfc cards you need to change the motherboard, i can guarantee yours is er, obsolete if you are running that card...
have a look on ebay, it's probably worth like £15 :silent:
on top of that, a 450w psu won't be anywhere near enough to run a high end card
also, is it a atx case? just thinking of cooling...
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
pariah

Post by pariah »

Beenchating with a tech guy at amd, with the specs I gave hin he said I should be loking at either of these (The HD4550/HD4650 are probably your best match, available in half height versions from Sapphire and Asus ).

The graphics slot is the AGP blue 15pin connector type.
The cooling in the case is pretty good , 3 fans in all.
1, at front of casing.
1, On Graphics card
1, On Mother board.
My ATI overdrive is running the GPU Clock @ 650MHz & Memory Clock 450MHz at 35'C

Mind you I did, remove and clean inside out. The crap that the fans had sucked in was terrible. :oops:
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Pretty legacy system indeed but for now the card your chap suggests is OK and only about £60. It's getting harder to find AGP cards these days (but there is talk of this port returning) as most mboards are PCI-E. To keep things sweet, grab at least a a 750W+ power supply too, you'll still get one with the connections required to fit your mboard. It is also worth checking your games requirements too so as to avoid the few cards that won't play ball.

All you are going to have to watch is the extra heat generated in there so make sure your cooling/airflow is really good and add at least another fan (unless you have the 120's), case top with either an Excalibur or roller type Aero 4 (excellent fans) - the idea being to pull cool air into the chassis from below and suck the hot air up not out the front over your Rom drives but out the top of the case. Done right it works a charm in keeping temps down.

Of course it depends on the games you play (I can still play Command and Conquer 3, Homeworld2, MoH, Total War on my 24" without any issues but the latest games do need/benefit from more processing/rendering punch). I play on a system not that far above your spec and with a lean system its fine, cost me 1400 in parts to build six years ago and it still does some serious rendering stuff now! With the "Min requirements" on applications closing in on the spec, I'm building some Quad Core, CrossfireX, Liquid Cooled loveliness to run on four 32" TFT's next year. This is less of a burden than it might appear, I can't wait.

Benny makes a perfectly good argument when it comes to 'keeping up' but no matter if you choose XBox or PC, the march of progress is unavoidable. I personally prefer to build a monster right out of the blocks and be good for many years with all that "swiss army knife" functionality that the PC offers. That and your current machine is still a darn good spare workhorse at the very least though, one that is far from the knackers yard. I have another two such systems and I can't tell you how handy these are. They are especially good at running the legacy op systems/browsers and for playing some of the older classic games.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of kak that comes out. If you are near a window and/or close to a main road, it can be a lot worse. I do a 'service' every six to nine months - a total break down and rebuild. I clean out the Coolermaster Copper Rose chip sinks, the RAM sinks, the chassis and roller fans, hoover the mboard (with a small plastic curtain brush attachment), the Cool Drive 4's and CD/DVD drives then polish the clear case. It's not much fun but it makes a lot of difference and that TIM Clean fluid smells nice.
I wonder, do XBox owners clean out too?

In any case, good luck. :thumbup:
pariah

Post by pariah »

The system is nearly 3 years old. To date had no troubles with games. Crysis 1&2 Far Cry 1&2 MOH Airborne no probs. Just think I need to up grade as some seem to lag when to much is going on.

The main trouble is that there seems to be so many different cards out there now you dont really know which to go for. Easy if your a computer geek I surpose :clap: .

I think I should pop into a local geek dealer and pick there brains about up grading. :D
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Nearly three years old? Your laughing. Indeed, do go and see your man for an AGP card with 512 ram on it (ATI Radeons are a safe bet) and go for a beefier PSU. And do make sure you completely remove all your old graphics drivers before fitting/rebooting with the new one in and (assuming the Radeon) install the latest Catalyst Control Centre software. And you're good to go. :D

:lol: No applause required, I'm no geek. Rather the result of practice out of necessity.
pariah

Post by pariah »

No sorry 4 fans in total.

Power supply fan
Motherboard fan ( ducted to outter casing )
Graphics card fan
and a rather large 4" fan in the front of the casing. Which glows blue when on :D

so I would have thought extra fans no required. ?
pariah

Post by pariah »

what do you think to this thats on e bay at the moment .? :think: