Firestorm Virgin arrived

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Mender

Re: Firestorm Virgin arrived

Post by Mender »

Checked and of course you are correct! So......... bought a pair of 1998 VFR clip ons which I read on here somewhere fit nicely. Went for a ride last night, beats my old SV1000 into a cocked hat! and is almost on a par with my TL. Hopefully I will stay on this longer than the TL though!!!!!
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"
(I’ll either find a way or make one )
Mender
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mender wrote:Checked and of course you are correct! So......... bought a pair of 1998 VFR clip ons which I read on here somewhere fit nicely. Went for a ride last night, beats my old SV1000 into a cocked hat! and is almost on a par with my TL. Hopefully I will stay on this longer than the TL though!!!!!
Glad you're pleased with the Storm so far.

Do you mean the riding position with the VFR bars compared to the riding position of the SV1000 :?:

Chris.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Mender wrote:bought a pair of 1998 VFR clip ons which I read on here somewhere fit nicely.!!!
you will need to trim the locating pegs off the throttle body housing and the kill switch body to get them to fit.
also shave a bit off the brake master cyl stop lug so you can angle the banjo bolt downwards a bit... that way standard hoses will fit (just)

i had to trim the ear lobe bits off the extremities of the top fairing to stop the switchgear touching it on full lock - get a felt pen and sketch a curve from under the mirror mount to the end of the fairing, leaving about 20mm and you'll be fine - only takes 20 mins carefull work with a dremel.

one disadvantage of the vfr bars, i only found out when i dropped my bike, because the locating lug on the bars doesn't line up with the gap in the top yoke pinch bolts, when i dropped it the left bar moved and reprofiled my tank somewhat :silent:

it is a much more relaxed riding position though and you will find it easier to lob the bike around, but you pay the price over 120mph though

i took the viffer bars off mine after a while & went back to the standard ones with rear sets - suits me much better, 300+ miles now & no aches.
vrf bars are still in the garage somewhere...
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Mender

Post by Mender »

Fitted the VFR bars, they came from a 1997 750cc. They went straight on once I'd drilled new switchgear locating holes, I left a 5mm gap between switchgear and tank on each side and put two 3mm washers between fairing and the support brackets(where the mirrors fit) this allowed the fairing to 'flair' just enough so that everything misses the fairing at full lock and avoids cutting any plastics away. I went this route as I have a habit of removing my mods after a while!
I've purchased a pair of aftermarket bar end weights(not fitted yet) because I found the vibes make my hands go numb quite quickly! :wtf:
My only other problem is, because I have a replacement(Titanium!!!) left knee, :thumbdown: I can't bend it as well as the original and the seat - footrest distance restricts my gear change movement(ie. as my knee is at max bend, moving my foot up and down is difficult and painful!). To remedy this I have fitted a 3cm thick hard foam cushion to the seat. Aesthetically naff, it seems to work. I have no intention of moving away from sports bikes, so this looks like my only option(have you seen the price of Airhawk pads?. :eek2
I went for my favourite 100 mile backroad run yesterday and it certainly handles better than the SV and TL. but this maybe due to the suspension mods fitted by the previous owner.
It corners really well, in fact I left each corner feeling I could have gone round quicker. However when I got home I saw that the tyres are both scrubbed to the edge, I didn't touch the pegs down though! maybe when the weather is a bit warmer(or I feel more brave!).
All in all I'm pleased with my budget priced 'Superbike' :wave:
Mender
Mender

Post by Mender »

Almost forgot :oops: I did the 'Stopper' mod as described, straightforward, no problems, also changed plugs, balanced the carbs and changed oil and filter. My missus was well chuffed at me not taking her shopping!(she doesn't drive, for which we may all be thankful :wink: )
Mender
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mender wrote:I went this route as I have a habit of removing my mods after a while!
:lol: you sound like me, as I have habbit of doing just that, I can't seem to leave nothing alone :thumbup:

You've been busy by the sounds of it, well done. Interesting to hear how it handles compared to the TL and SV, as you say probably due to suspension up grades.

Without annoying the better half anymore for a while :wink: it would be a good idea to service the rear suspension sometime to avoid this:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=11809

that is if it's not already on your list of course :thumbup:

Chris.
Mender

Post by Mender »

That looks nasty, pity more manufacturers don't fit grease nipples to suspension pivots as standard, as per Kawasaki ZX6/9/12 , makes it dead easy. I usually fit grease nipples when I strip down the suspension. Not too difficult to drill and tap each pivot, not forgetting to drill through to the bearing surface, remove all burrs and swarfe. Then just a pump on the grease gun every 3 months or so. Grease nipples are available on e-bay cheap as chips.
As far as the handling goes, I've not ridden a standard 'Storm, but mine is far more stable than the SV and turns easier than the TL. The TL was a bit mad though!
Mender
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Mender wrote: footrest distance restricts my gear change movement
i put a set of harris rear sets on mine and adjusted them forward - not quite as forward as standard, and it improved the ergos & comfort no end.
they are adjustable up down / back front - might be of help to you.
bet you get some great sparks off that knee - i want a pair! :twisted:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.