Number plate size

General Biker Banter
andynec

Number plate size

Post by andynec »

My Son got stopped by Cheshire's finest in Warrington today,and helped their christmas fund by giving them £60.00 for having a no plate with the letters and numbers 5mm too small,the plate was the right size.They were stopping anybody on bikes and looking for faults,they were equiped with rulers and gauges for measuring plates,and he was a bike cop.Be careful in Warrington they are keen
benny hedges

Re: Number plate size

Post by benny hedges »

he doesn't ride a 03 millie now does he???? :think:

was discussing this on another forum.... beware.
you don't own your reg number, it belongs to dvla and they license it to you.
if you mis-use or misrepresent the number, they can fine you, impound your vehicle and even remove your entitlement to wear the number - even (especially) if it's a private number you paid for.
they can refuse to re-issue a new number to you.

someone else commented that they know someone who's private plate was reclaimed and it cost him nearly 2k to get back on the road so £60 is crouton all lol.

i was chatting to a bike plod the other week and he sad he wouldn't bother with my 1" smaller plate as the numbers & spacing was ok & readable, but the next plod might have a different opinion.
they used to do these checks regularly up at pondy, c&f and other regular meeting places.
it's one thing when you are actually caught breaking a law and they do you for your plate, but not when you're sat in a cafe minding your own business.

next one will be checking for ce marked cans, same £60 fine, impounded etc...
if you have cans marked 'not for road use' fit them with a baffle, even if it's just a token one.

i'd much prefer they spent their tme getting uninsured, untaxed and unlicensed drivers off the road - and rid the streets of knife wielding bagheads & rapists, but hey... easy pickings eh.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
simo

Post by simo »

Not sure of the actual size, but remember sometime in the 90's the plate had to have the kite mark the name of the company who made the plate with their post code.The pigs around here do check this. :biggrin
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

9x8 is the legal size.
mine is 8x7 but the numbers and spacing is legal.... would have to be an arsy cop to do me for it.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

benny hedges wrote: would have to be an arsy cop to do me for it.
Cor never met one of those :whatever
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

FirestormMike wrote:
benny hedges wrote:9x8 is the legal size.

※ Plates must contain the plate makers name and/or ID marking PLUS the name and postcode of the dealer/franchise you bought the bike from.

The plate below IS legal. (apparently)
wasnt aware of the dealer tag requirement???? what if i bought ir private and got a new plate made off tinternet?
mine just says Honda VTR1000F1 under the right sized / spaced numbers

1 bike plod already said it was ok (same size as the one in the pic above) but i might just approach a plod with v5 in hand and ask him to check if it's legal... if it isn't i'll go get one made.
it does look small compared to the plates on my other bikes :think:
vtrbarmy

Post by vtrbarmy »

FirestormMike wrote:
benny hedges wrote:9x8 is the legal size.
Not quite.

Your number plate must conform to BS AU 145a or 145d by

※ Black characters on a Yellow background in the Arial Font
※ Characters must be 64mm high
※ Characters must be 44mm wide with the exclusion to the letter “I” or number “1”
※ Characters must be 10mm apart with a 30mm gap between letters and number groups
※ Plates must contain the plate makers name and/or ID marking PLUS the name and postcode of the dealer/franchise you bought the bike from.

Custom riders – black plates with white or silver characters are illegal on models registered after 31 December 1972. If you had your bike before this chances are you’re ok!

All plates should have an external margin of 11mm.

So, as long as the spacing and margins are ok, you can trim your plate to suit. The plate below IS legal. (apparently)
Would disagree slightly on that, especially bullet 4. Plates must have a BS standard kite mark and also have the name and identifying information (postcode, web address) of the company supplying the number plate - there is no requirement to have the plate makers name AND the dealer franchise you bought it from, neither is a requirement on the company who supplied the palte.

Plus for motorcycles, the number must be over 2 lines - so 'letterbox' plates are illegal

The following thread explains:

http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index.c ... eId=165077
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

vtrbarmy wrote:
The following thread explains:

http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index.c ... eId=165077
oh right, nice one.
so if i get pulled over i will explain that my bike was first registered before 1.9.01 and that's the original number plate :thumbup:
oh sh1t, i can't can i, cos i put my own number on it last year lol. fek.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

i'd much prefer they spent their tme getting uninsured, untaxed and unlicensed drivers off the road - and rid the streets of knife wielding bagheads & rapists, but hey... easy pickings eh.
We all know that small number plates are illegal and on that basis if everyone picked which law to obey or disobey depending on their own rating system - e.g. some even think that stealing from shops is justifiable, then we'd be in a bit of a muddle, wouldn't we.

Perhaps if bikes (and cars) all had legal plates etc then the police would have more resources to tackle "real" crime?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

andynec

Post by andynec »

It was a full size plate,the letters and numbers were 1/4" too small,cop was looking to find any fault he could,possibly got excited when he pulled a 19 year old lad,and got pissed off when he found him legal,cop did a u turn to stop him,my lad stopped so the cop could not chase him.So glad my taxes are not wasted.
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

The reason they are getting "arsie" is that misreprepresented number plates are difficult if not impossible to be read by ANPR cameras. ANPR cameras are used primarily to detect "No insurance no tax no MOT, vehicles with intel on them i.e. criminals and to track stolen vehicles. If you have a really nice car/bike with a misrep number plate and the vehicle gets nicked it is probable that even if you report it straight away it wont be recognised by ANPR. You pays your money and takes your choice. If you are unlucky enough to have yor bike nicked it is always worthwhile to ask the police to check ANPR back office for a track.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.