brakes, I think

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Soutie

brakes, I think

Post by Soutie »

my bike has been standing for the last four+ weeks due to the crud weather (it stands outside with a cover over it). So today I decided to fit my new belly pan :biggrin :biggrin

I had to push the Storm from were its parked to where I could work on it!!! Boy did I get a sweat on, it felt like the brakes were binding :confused
What is involved in cleaning the callipers? as brakes are important for slowing down :lol: I want to do a proper job.

Thanks R
benny hedges

Re: brakes, I think

Post by benny hedges »

take them off, clean them.
put them back on. :thumbup:

is also worth removing the pads and pump the lever a bit to expose the piston, then clean it up with brake cleaner & wire wool.
there will probably be a ring of crap around the piston stopping it from returning proper.
make sure the fluid is topped up when you pump the lever or you could suck air into the res & have to speand the rest of your life trying to bleed them.

if you are going to do this i suggest you do one caliper at a time.
dont pull the pistons with pliers as you will mark them, you can get proper piston pliers but its easier to pump them out.
also, be carefull when you push them back in as the extra fluid you put in the res will be pushed out & you dont want it on your paintwork & tyres.

if the pistons look badly scored the seals will probably be fkt as well.
you can get brake spares from silvers, wemoto or any honda stealer

* check your chain for tight spots too....
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Soutie

Post by Soutie »

Thanks Benny :D I'll get some brake cleaner next time I am in Halfords. @ KneeWobblers, where is "just" down the road? I've lived in country's were 600km is considered "just" down the road :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

take them apart clean and polish the pistons and rebuilb using red rubber grease
they work like new again now
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

The pistons are aluminium, so no rust, but will still get a layer of crud, and this will also end up under the seal in the caliper, which you cant remove just by scrubbing the parts with the pistons out a bit further than normal.
To do it properly you need to get all the pistons out and then take the seals out of the calipers and clean the seal groove.

I stopped using brake cleaner and went to hot water & washing up liquid and a tooth brush, but I dont think brake cleaner will cause problems, it just evaporates too quickly to soak into the grime.

you can get the seals from David Silver, but they are a hell of a price [in my opinion......as a tight Scot :) ], but if you take them out with a soft impliment [like a bluntish pencil] they are reusable after inspection.

If you dont have braided lines, I would fit them when you have it all apart, then bleed through with fresh fluid.
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Timbo wrote:
lloydiecbr wrote:take them apart clean and polish the pistons and rebuilb using red rubber grease
they work like new again now
Thank god you posted a picture, had forgotten what a brake caliper looks like, you arent related to Seb are you?
no but these are nice clean rebuilt callipers
Soutie

Post by Soutie »

I like the look of the black calipers :thumbup: I might just pinch your idea and spray mine. I will have them apart at the weekend being careful with the seal, Thanks for the offer of help KneeWobblers but I am a bit north'ish of Hereford (about an hour from you) I'll pm you to arrange to tag along on one of your rides into wales :D