idiot

General Bike chat
tradedog

idiot

Post by tradedog »

My "new" bike has just ahd its first visit onto it side. No, not a prang, was washing it on the lawn, sidestand on a piece of mdf, left it do dry and came back an hour later to find it lying on its left side.

Theres no real damage, slight scuffing on the fairing, and indicator lens popped out of its case. Did not even brake the clutch lever.

My question is, will any fluids have gone places they should not have, maybe combustion chambers, or can I just leave it a while to get fluids back where they should be and then start it?

Also can any1 tell me whether the plastics (black) are painted, or can i just polish out any scuffing? What would any1 recommend for this polishing?

Last one, I cannot see a level marked on the reservoir for coolant, how full should this be?

Thx in advance for any contributions.
philm

'storm on its side shite!!!

Post by philm »

:( tradedog,bad luck there.but not too much drama by the sound of it.
regarding the slight scuffing on the fairing you could try a product called
Finesse-it 2 a finishing material made by 3M.I have used this in the past for a good result providing you dont overdo the rubbing bit.The product is not cheap but a 1 litre bottle will last forever! It has a part no.051131-05928.It contains no wax or silicone and is a white coloured liquid.
Alternatively you could just rip down to your local auto/bike spray painter
and get him to run a buffing machine with their own finishing material over the scuff marks.I had a vfr vtec that I had bought as a demo and that had minor scuffing on the fairing which the dealer had made worse by trying to polish it out[using a dirty grimy rag] I took to my local bike painter and he did as i described and the scuffing was gone completely.
With regard to the coolant level,if you look hard enough at the coolant reserve tank you will see a raised external line on the outside of the tank
quite low down,this is the upper level and the coolant shud be at this line
mind you its almost impossible to see the lower level.
As far as the internal fluids situation I dont think you shud have any major dramas there.just let the bike remain upright [as it shud normally be] for some hours to let all the fluids drain back to where they shud be!I think had the bike been totally butt up,i.e wheels wrong side up then you might have had a problem,but not just laying on its side as you found it.
Hope this mite ease your concerns a little
Regards
Philm/stormboy
philm/Stormboy
tradedog

Post by tradedog »

many thx philm