Feeling pretty pleased...then

General Biker Banter
ChrisC

Feeling pretty pleased...then

Post by ChrisC »

sorted the carbs(balancing)today, Big THANKS to AMCQ46 for excellent write up and piccies,took the tank off a couple of days ago and put a small piece of blanked off tubing on the "drain off" of the petrol tap so no confusion with vacuum tube later.so i put the tank out of the way in case of accidental damage.finished off the job tonight wheeled the bike out of the garage and ...Bang...the tanks dented by a flying bloody birdbox complete with sheared off brass screw...Bloody wind.....sulk.
benny hedges

Re: Feeling pretty pleased...then

Post by benny hedges »

fek m8 that is just bad luck :o
is it bad?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

that is just bad luck, what are the chances of being hit by a bird box? :thumbdown:

hope the damage is not too bad
AMcQ
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

No mates its not too bad small dink i will make a roller type tool and gain access through the filler cap,luckily it hasn't damaged the paintwork so if i'm careful i can really bo***cks it up :D on the plus side i went out for a quick blast ...the bikes so much smother.Cheers
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

might be worth you getting one of them £10 gluestick dent pullers off fleabay if its only a ding
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I remember reading about them a while ago,obviously you recommend them, guess you must have used them quite a lot .. :D .Thanks for the tip Benny
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Fence companies be damned, I'm putting all my money into bird box manufacturing.....foam ones!..Hope you're not getting too much wind ...if you see what i mean.Having a go at the tank this morning,if the roller thing is no good i'll take Benny's advice. cheers Chris
rob's red storm

Post by rob's red storm »

Chris, had a "pleased, then...." moment myself this morning!

Went out for a ride on the freshly cleaned and polished storm to find this in the tyre when getting off the bike! :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2

Luckily I only had about a thousand miles on the tyre (only had it put on 3 weeks ago) so there was enough meat for it to go through the tread and not straight into the tyre! Strange pulling a big fecking nail out of a tyre but at least its not punctured :thumbup: Mind you the nail was pretty worn so it must have been in there for a week or so!

Its my third nail in as many months in the rear....not impressed! :evil: :evil:

Regards
Rob
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

"Damnit" Rob, I could have used that nail to keep the bloody birdbox up in the first place.....I spent a hour or two with a home made small wooden roller removing the dent ...dare not say i'm "feeling pretty pleased " with the outcome for obvious reasons :D ....ride safe ChrisC
rob's red storm

Post by rob's red storm »

"Damnit" Rob, I could have used that nail to keep the bloody birdbox up in the first place.....
Sorry Chris! Hell, at the rate I'm picking up nails at the moment the whole neighbourhood will be able to have securely fastened birdboxes! :thumbup:

Did the dent come out ok then? Was there any damage to the paintwork?

Cheers

Rob
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Yea Rob, the paintwork is fine, the dent you could say was in two parts,1 dished shape and 2 slight crease in the centre.the first part came out quite easy,the second took time .the little roller thing worked well.
just wondered did you notice a drop in performance in the bike carrying all that extra metal,that nail looked a fair old size glad it didn't spoil your day,but i'd keep an eye on that tyre mate :thumbup:
regards ChrisC
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Explain the little roller thingy a bit further Chris?? Pics would be cool

Jazz
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Hi Jazz

First things first, computer's knackered so sorry no pics.

I made the roller out of a piece of wooden brush handle, first i drilled 5/16th hole down the centre about 2 inches deep, cut off about 1inch 1/2 put this onto a piece of polished 5/16th round bar so it spins. Put a small angle grinder into a workmate and holding the bar either side of the wooden bobbin turn it into a barrel shape (no edges) keep your fingers clear too,i can hear the health and safty people from here! next i bent the bar about 2 inches from the end,put the roller on and a piece of tight fitting rubber tube to keep it on, and bent the rest of the bar to shape (like a narrow paint roller)remember It has to fit inside the petrol filler .I also bent it on an upward angle to reach the underside of the tank where the dent was...when using the roller i put a piece of hard plastic wrapped in thin cloth over the dent to push against,so i didn't over do it .it all sounds a bit "heath robinson" but it worked for me.Hope this helps Regards Chris
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

ChrisC wrote:"Damnit" Rob, I could have used that nail to keep the bloody birdbox up in the first place.....I
Piss funny!
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Forgot to mention i also put a file handle on the end ,i marked the handle so i could tell when the roller was horizontal and measured the length so i knew exactly where it was because once inside the tank it has to be done "by feel" Cheers Chris.