what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
KermitLeFrog

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Fitted a new rear tyre and front and rear pads to the Tuna today.

A little while ago I had a weird brake failure. Coming into a nasty downhill right-hander I suddenly had no front brake. Fortunately I was not going too hard and slowed down enough with the rear. Frantic pumping and the front came back. I stopped and checked but couldn't see anything wrong. I thought it must have been an ABS glitch. However over the next few days I noticed the front was grabby coming to a stop and then I noticed some metal swarf on the rotor.

It turned out the friction material had come off one of the pads. Pumping the brakes had brought the backing plate back up to the rotor and restored function. Just under 8000 miles on the OEM Brembo pads. EBC HH are now installed. I have worn through pads before but never had one fail like this. Food for thought. If genuine Brembo pads can do this what about the cheapo shite you can get?

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

snap. i had a set of Brembo pads on the peggy do the same a few months ago :eek2 , thankfully just after i stopped at the traffic lights and .plink, the outer pad material hit the rim..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That must have been rather scary, especially for you Kermit when your's let go. Are you both letting your pads get down too low before replacing them :?: as you could be over heating the bonding that holds the pads to the steel back plate if you're letting them get really low.
I think the days of replacing the pads when you hear metal on metal are long gone :problem: although I'm not suggesting either of you do that :)

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

There’s not a lot of meat on Brembo’s when they’re new!!!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

mine had just been fitted by the guy i got the bike from for mot, At most they had about 1k on them..
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Rode her after the valve adjustments etc .

Noise wise the top end is much better now .

Butt Dyno tells me things are better as well.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Investigated why there was no fluid in the clutch res on Custurd...

Clutch was working fine...

So it looks like the slave is leaking a right sticky mess behind the cover, whilst cleaning it up I nioticed a crack in the cover as well...

So first off I stuck a spare slave on it but that leaked as well...DOH

So I borrowd a cover & slave off of Dresden, bolted on, bled up reverse bleeding sorted in less than 10 ... :thumbup:

Adjusted chain, might even give it a clean on Sun/Mon ready for Tues... As I'm actualy going back to work ! 8O
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:23 pm Fitted a new rear tyre and front and rear pads to the Tuna today.

A little while ago I had a weird brake failure. Coming into a nasty downhill right-hander I suddenly had no front brake. Fortunately I was not going too hard and slowed down enough with the rear. Frantic pumping and the front came back. I stopped and checked but couldn't see anything wrong. I thought it must have been an ABS glitch. However over the next few days I noticed the front was grabby coming to a stop and then I noticed some metal swarf on the rotor.

It turned out the friction material had come off one of the pads. Pumping the brakes had brought the backing plate back up to the rotor and restored function. Just under 8000 miles on the OEM Brembo pads. EBC HH are now installed. I have worn through pads before but never had one fail like this. Food for thought. If genuine Brembo pads can do this what about the cheapo shite you can get?

fabiostar wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:04 pm snap. i had a set of Brembo pads on the peggy do the same a few months ago :eek2 , thankfully just after i stopped at the traffic lights and .plink, the outer pad material hit the rim..
I think you both should report this to Brembo (if you've not already).

I found this online, admittedly a recall regarding the rear pads, but the same problem the bonding letting go:-

Brembo says that its brake pad supplier (Federal Mogul) improperly thermal treated the brake pads at a higher temperature, which resulted in a reduced bonding of the pad material to the backing plate. This was caused by human error.

Above quote taken from this link:-
https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall ... ll-ducati/

Chris.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:53 pm I think you both should report this to Brembo (if you've not already).

I found this online, admittedly a recall regarding the rear pads, but the same problem the bonding letting go:-

Brembo says that its brake pad supplier (Federal Mogul) improperly thermal treated the brake pads at a higher temperature, which resulted in a reduced bonding of the pad material to the backing plate. This was caused by human error.

Chris.
Wow! Interesting. Thanks for this Chris. Thankfully I've kept all four pads so I have evidence. I've sent an email to Brembo and my dealer. I'll keep you posted on the response.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Maybe you can get a nice new pair of Brembo rotors out of this..
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I have been thinking about that. One rotor is definitely marked.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Yamaha had the same thing with the early R1's... I know someone who had the same thing happen to him...

Out for a hoon & on the way home at more reasonable speeds (his words...) coming in to a 90* right hander, pads fell out leaving him with no brakes 8O

He went up a curb, up a bank & ended up in a feild... wheel, forks, fairing & other bits totaled all replaced FOC...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's some scary sh1t. :eek2 Of all things to fail brakes is not one of them you want failing. Maybe Brembo should start making padded boots so you can put your feet down on the ground if it happens again.
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:16 am
sirch345 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:53 pm I think you both should report this to Brembo (if you've not already).

Chris.
Wow! Interesting. Thanks for this Chris. Thankfully I've kept all four pads so I have evidence. I've sent an email to Brembo and my dealer. I'll keep you posted on the response.
Your experience could have ended so differently, so I'm glad you have reported it, and that you still have the brake pads.
Brake failure is serious and should be treated as such.

It's a scary time when you apply the brakes only to find there isn't any. I have not experienced it myself on a bike (I hope I never do) but I have had brake failure in a car many years ago, that was before dual circuit brakes came in.

I'll be interested to hear how things go,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

well today was spent looking at the yellow one wondering why it wont go. shock horror a storm i own not going :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2