what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
MacV2

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:36 am Transfer gears, Mac, don't forget those.
They don't fail very often but can be hard to find when you need a set.
Yeah thats what I meant with Sprag Clutch...It's in the spares pile guarded by Frank... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Greetings from Canada :)

So I am still running my high-mount link pipes (Akra full system) and bike is strong and responsive in lows and mids. Only problem is it vibrates a bit more at road speeds than the low-mounts. I like to ride medium to long trips and so the smoother the better. Not wanting to give up this nervousness and responsiveness, I thought I would try to somehow isolate or absorb the vibration. A quick search led me to a material called sorbothane, a soft urethane that absorb vibration like no other (apparently). So, I bought a small piece (1/4" thick, 70D) and made two small spacers that I positioned under the handlebar clamps. I will monitor the bolt tension closely to see if it changes (material "settling"; don't want the bars to start flopping around... yeow!). I'll report back and let you gents know how it turns out.

cheers
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
yellabell

Post by yellabell »

NueRed MOT 110522.jpg
Where's the rear rack from Mac? I have the same grab rail but without a rack fitted.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

over the weekend i got rid of mine, away to a new home :eek2 :eek2 :eek2
.no no not the LC or dori but the big cruiser.great bike, 100% reliable, didnt do anything wrong on me and was like an armchair but, ten years to soon for me, at least in my mind so i done a swap for a yamaha FZ8, 2011 ,decent looking bike, new tyres on it ,fresh oil and filter from the looks of it and a nice akra pipe. not a bike i know much about, they seem a little under the radar so lets see how long this one lasts :eek2 :D
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

yellabell wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:45 pm

NueRed MOT 110522.jpg
Where's the rear rack from Mac? I have the same grab rail but without a rack fitted.
Renntec...If you have the grab rail then you already have the fitting kit...The rack just replaces the grab rail...

They come up on evilbay now & then or buy direct from Renntec...

Only rated for 5kg tho... 8O
ItsaKeeper

Post by ItsaKeeper »

A couple of things...took the VTR out for a couple of hours to keep it ticking over, mostly country roads, and washed all the flies off it when I got home :plainsmile Have to say that I am very chuffed with it at the moment :thumbup:
yellabell

Post by yellabell »

Project Lightened Flywheel begins...

Took delivery of an old crank today. Gonna whip the taper end off behind the 2nd journal. This will get gripped in an airchuck. That way I can clock it dead true & machine Tony.mons spare flywheel down that also got delivered today by our smiley postman! Going to go with the dimensions that Roger suggests.

Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

yellabell wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:43 pm Project Lightened Flywheel begins...

Took delivery of an old crank today. Gonna whip the taper end off behind the 2nd journal. This will get gripped in an airchuck. That way I can clock it dead true & machine Tony.mons spare flywheel down that also got delivered today by our smiley postman! Going to go with the dimensions that Roger suggests.

interesting, whats the difference between Robs flywheel and Rogers recomended sizes ?
and how do you think this will affect the bikes performance ?
yellabell

Post by yellabell »

Steve97 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:47 am
yellabell wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:43 pm Project Lightened Flywheel begins...

interesting, whats the difference between Robs flywheel and Rogers recomended sizes ?
and how do you think this will affect the bikes performance ?
The steel lump at the rear of the dish gets machined down in both diameter and width. Dia goes to 146mm and width to 10.15mm following Roger's figures. I dont know what size Rob does his to. I've bought these on a whim to be honest as they weren't pricey. I've a sneaky feeling mine may already have been done as I'm impressed with how it goes already but I've nothing to compare it with without riding another to judge the performance. I've not had it apart yet so if it has when I get in there I'll just have a spare.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Back to Big Bird...

Whipped the tank back off to put some sealent around the bolt as a belt & braces fix.

Stuck a charged bat on, took the front plug out, cranked it over...No spark !

Easy things firts changed both ECU & spark box... Still no spark...

Took the front coil off found the connector had a loose pin & where it once had a quick shifter on it the bodge splice job was loose & tapped up going no where... At the gear lever end again just loose wires just cut & not even wrapped...

Changed the coil, cut off all the loose wires... Cranked it over...

We have a spark ! :thumbup:

Checked the rear That has a spark as well... :thumbup:

Want to let the sealent on the tank bolt cure so tommorow will splosh some fule in & fingers crossed...

Watch this space... It'll either be a report of a running Bike or tales of things being thrown down the garden & things being smashed in a blind rage... :twisted:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:26 pm Back to Big Bird...

Whipped the tank back off to put some sealent around the bolt as a belt & braces fix.

Stuck a charged bat on, took the front plug out, cranked it over...No spark !

Easy things firts changed both ECU & spark box... Still no spark...

Took the front coil off found the connector had a loose pin & where it once had a quick shifter on it the bodge splice job was loose & tapped up going no where... At the gear lever end again just loose wires just cut & not even wrapped...

Changed the coil, cut off all the loose wires... Cranked it over...

We have a spark ! :thumbup:

Checked the rear That has a spark as well... :thumbup:

Want to let the sealent on the tank bolt cure so tommorow will splosh some fule in & fingers crossed...

Watch this space... It'll either be a report of a running Bike or tales of things being thrown down the garden & things being smashed in a blind rage... :twisted:
:lol: Pull yourself together Mac, you're not a child anymore :lol:

All joking aside, I hope you have repaired it :thumbup:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:55 pm

Chris.
Does mental age not count ? :crazy:

58 going on about 5 some days... :lol: :lol: :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:05 am
sirch345 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:55 pm

Chris.
Does mental age not count ? :crazy:

58 going on about 5 some days... :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :clap: I know what you mean :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The more years I record the more childish I get.
I pulled a car driver over today for flicking ash from his fag out of his car window as I overtook, asked him am I your **† ing ashtray?
I really should calm down, but it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.

Carry on, Mac, no point changing now...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Big Bird saga pt... what seems like 99... :roll:

Fitted the batt again after a charge... Sploshed some fule in...Cranks over, still wont fire... Front plug out to check for wetness...It is...So fule is getting through...Damm petcock is leaking from over flow... :eek2 Yes the one I fitted the other day... :roll:

Drained the fule back out...Managed to keep calm apart from the odd sware word...Nothing got smashed or thrown down the garden....This time !

Pushed it to the side...

I'd drained the oil on RXNine, pulled the plug last night & let it drain out over night. So plug back in, new fillter & fresh oil. Boxed that one back up.

Nue red, fairing off & gave it a deep clean, degreased the engine & used me steam cleaner on it... Gave it a wash. Fitted a DB screen, gave the fairing a good polish & re sprayed the fairing bolts black...Did them a few years ago they were looking a bit flakey...Plan A/ tomorrow I'll refit the fairing & give the tank & tail a polish PM after its sat in the shade. Around 14.00 the sun has moved enough to leave the drive in the shade, the front of the cave & the patio is still full sun... Bike was sitting in the sun this arvo thats my excuse for not doing it today...

Oh I also fitted a new LED head lamp, apparently a M/C speciffic one.