Best way to clean a drive chain?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bandsawman

Best way to clean a drive chain?

Post by bandsawman »

I've got my chain off at the moment and want to give it a spring clean while it's off.

Any advice on the best way to do this?

It's an O-ring chain, by the way.

:)
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!
benny hedges

Re: Best way to clean a drive chain?

Post by benny hedges »

bucket of parrafin m8, shake it off, hang it on the line then re-lube it
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
alec

Post by alec »

Can i ask how do i know what type chain i have and whats the best lube for different types ?
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

once its on you wont know if its o ring or x ring unless its stamped on the links.
type of lube is up to you.
scottoiler oil, chainsaw oil, used engine oil, spray chain lube, dry ptfe spray, dry wax.... up to you.
scottoiler is the way to go for long chain life & minimal adjustment
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Like hair spray that you spray on hair - Essential male grooming chain cleaner cleans chains....

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

benny hedges wrote:bucket of parrafin m8, shake it off, hang it on the line then re-lube it
For real?!
I'm worried about removing all lube from within the o-rings...
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

thats what i do... when the back wheel or chain is off anyway.
you wont wreck the chain by cleaning it, as long as you re-lube it properly.

i usually jetwash mine when i clean the bike then spray it up again.
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

Right I've done a lot of Googling on this too - most of the stuff I found was on American sites, and soaking in kerosene is very popular (I believe kerosene is the same as parafin?)

I was still a bit worried about it getting past the rings and diluting the grease inside the rollers, so I went for the spray-on chain cleaner. The one I got was Motorex - works very well. Spray it on, leave it to work for a bit, then wipe off with a cloth. :D

Then I went along the chain, link by link, and found a couple that were a bit stiff. A few more sprays and some wiggling on the stiff links got 'em sorted - but there was one link that was siezed solid! And I mean solid! I ended up having to hold the chain in a vice and use a hammer to get the link moving again (along with loads of cleaner spray and chain lube). This has likely happened while the bike has been laid up, as it broke down while covered in salt and road grime :oops:

Other than that, the chain seems to be in good condition, it rarely needs adjusting and none of the links are too slack. Looking at service records, it looks like the chain (Tsubaki X-Ring) was fitted at approximately 20k, it's now on 33k - so it's done 13k. Front sprocket was changed 1k ago and rear one is fine.

This has taught me that I need to remove the chain and service it more often and not just keep spraying with lube.

I'll keep a close eye on it from now on :thumbup: