Call me paranoid if you want

General Bike chat
wazza99

Call me paranoid if you want

Post by wazza99 »

Having just bought my first VTR, reading through this forum and bearing in mind the mileage of my bike 14,400 miles i have decided to have the cam chain tensioners changed at my local dealer just in case !
£150 all in parts labour and vat (Castle motorcycles, Castleford) seem decent chaps and he seemed to agree it wouldn't be wasted money.
By the way mine have pink dots on them?? is that good or bad?
Anyway having just invested £3500 in my bike for the sake of and extra £150 i will sleep easy so i'm going ahead.....

Comments please, am i just being paranoid???????
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

It's due the 16,000 mile service soon which is the major one (it's done every 16k - to check the valve clearances). I would (well I wouldn't I'd do it meself) either get them to do the 16k service whilst they do it or wait until the 16k service and get them changed then. Are they a honda dealer as some of the bikes I've worked on have been real bodged from general dealers and some honda ones too, doh. Your paying about £60 for the labour with that price (assuming they stick to the £150) and half of that (the £60) would get it stripped down to a position to check the valve clearances if I was doing it. They say yous pay ya money but I think that's tosh sometimes if you've seen what I seen on bikes.

Del. (don't think I helped really)
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

i think i know what you're saying del, would my bike be included in that list then.....(Gee thanks Redline Honda.....)
DD

Post by DD »

'paranoid'......... well I would of thought so! I mean how many of you blokes have had trouble with your cct's? and at what milage?
Sure theres always a bad apple in any box but are these cct's realy that bad?
Maybe after my 80's experance with the CX500 euro needing a cam chain every 10,000km's I'm thinking that theres no way 20 odd years later nothings changed, or am I just not wanting to believe?
Last edited by DD on Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers Darryl
RQ

Post by RQ »

DD,
Go back through workshop and take a look for topics including
"CCT Problem Fixed",
"Tensioners and Mr Honda",
"Rear CCT",
"Help CCT",
"Cam Chain Tensioners which and where to buy",
"Ye Olde CCT",
"Camchain Tensioner Failure" etc etc .

I think all on page 3 of the workshop !!
Who's paranoid ?????
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !