Honda CBR1100 Blackbird

General Bike chat
Kev L

Honda CBR1100 Blackbird

Post by Kev L »

Going to look at a 2007 Blackbird for a mate in the morning. Anyone got any knowledge of problems to look out for on this model?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
benny hedges

Re: Honda CBR1100 Blackbird

Post by benny hedges »

Kev L wrote:Going to look at a 2007 Blackbird for a mate in the morning. Anyone got any knowledge of problems to look out for on this model?
yes. they get owned by scooters :biggrin
[youtube][/youtube]
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Getting a little scooter fixated there Benny boy. You need to calm down. Try sitting in a darkened room.

:D
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Bloody hell that was a fast strimmer!
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

:lol: :lol: that was brilliant even though not much help to Kev L.

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Thanks for the advice chaps :lol: In the absence of a scooter capable of dragging his 6'4" 18st frame around he bought the Blackbird. 2007, 57 plate, silver with 29,000 on the clock for £3500. :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

AFAIK the blackbird shares the CCT....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Cheers Tony the cct's were replaced 2,000 ago. I take it that the consequences aren't as dire with it being an IL4?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

No as far as I recall they are also an engine design that allow sufficient slack when the spring fails to allow vales to hit pistons, but best check with their forum.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

dunno about that .. there is always a cylinder firing so there is almost always tension on the chain.
ive never heard of one letting go anyway.
the only tensioner problems on the honda il4's that ive heard of were on the old cb900f and that wasnt so much the tensioner failing but the foot that holds the camchain guide had a habit of snapping off. 8O

the blackbird is a beltin bike imo :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

benny hedges wrote:dunno about that .. there is always a cylinder firing so there is almost always tension on the chain.
ive never heard of one letting go anyway.
the only tensioner problems on the honda il4's that ive heard of were on the old cb900f and that wasnt so much the tensioner failing but the foot that holds the camchain guide had a habit of snapping off. 8O

the blackbird is a beltin bike imo :thumbup:
Nope mate, the earlier CBR's in general had a known CCT problem but in the CBR world they believe that the coloured spots on the tensioner tie in to age and mod state, they reckon that the problem has been eradicated.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

this months Performance Bikes mag has a test of used Blackbird vs Used Busa vs used ZXR1400.

The rated the Blackbird 2nd behind the Kwak, but it was only the age of teh BB design that knowcked it back, so in a value for money terms it is the winner.
AMcQ
Captain Vimes

Post by Captain Vimes »

Had a Blackbird a couple of years ago. Fantastic build quality and effortless power. It is a big heavy bike to move about your garage, but your mate sounds like a strong chap! The only regular failing is the rectifier, but a new one is only £50 and a doddle to fit. The price for year and mileage is good.
The road goes ever on and on.
rob's red storm

Post by rob's red storm »

Loved my blackbird :thumbup:

The only thing to watch out for is women driving mazdas on roundabouts they dont know in Coventry :Cry1: :Cry2: