Rear Brake Piston

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
chris vtr virgin

Rear Brake Piston

Post by chris vtr virgin »

Hello all
I am going to change the rear pads on my storm at the weekend
But i have noticed that the piston is quite far out its easy enough to shove back in. But what is the best way to clean it up and keep it moving freely.
For when the new pads are fitted.
Cheers
Chris
:D :D
Some twins have all the fun !!!!
Miztaziggy

Rear Brake Piston

Post by Miztaziggy »

Clean it with a rag and some wd40

If that fails and it is corroded, use some very fine wet and dry paper and wd40 on it to clean off corrosion.

Put some copper grease on it before you put it back. That's what I did anyway and it worked fine.
lloydie

Re: Rear Brake Piston

Post by lloydie »

strip the caliper take out the two seals and clean the seal beds and remove any corrosion smear red grease in these on rebuild , clean and polish the piston (auto-sol is good for this ) . and use red rubber grease (can find it on ebay) on the seals and piston when you rebuild it check for pitting on the piston replace if its bad , replace the seals if damaged they are cheep , check the rubber sliding boots if they are ok clean and regrease with red rubber grease , the piston will pop back in easy . bleed and away you go ,easy
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Miztaziggy wrote:Clean it with a rag and some wd40

If that fails and it is corroded, use some very fine wet and dry paper and wd40 on it to clean off corrosion.

Put some copper grease on it before you put it back. That's what I did anyway and it worked fine.
dont use copper grease it fooks the rubber up ,
the piston will pop out when you press the brake peddle a few times dont use grips as this will damage the piston .
i also wouldnt use wet and dry on the piston as this will also damage it , just clean and polish it , or replace if its past it
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Fine grit wet and dry with WD40 used too wont damage anything, it will very gently get the worst corrosion off as long as you dont go crazy with it and start to sand away the metal. It didnt damage mine...

Though I didnt know that copper grease will damage rubber?!?!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

steel wool is best imo... it will get all the crap and light rust off without damaging the piston.
if theyre pitted at all dont bother putting them back in... new ones are cheap enough from silvers or wemoto
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Miztaziggy wrote:Fine grit wet and dry with WD40 used too wont damage anything, it will very gently get the worst corrosion off as long as you dont go crazy with it and start to sand away the metal. It didnt damage mine...!
it must be me being heavy handed :lol:
chris vtr virgin

Thanks for the advice guys. Will be on that sorting them out at the weekend.
Again thanks
Chris
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Second that on the wire wool (gently), clean out the seal recesses and replace the seals regardless of condition IMO. Good luck. Dunfermline eh? An Oakley boy maself with family in Dunf. Planning to get up there soon for a walk in the Glen with ma Gran.
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

try and get an SP1 piston like I have in mine, its teflon coated and gives the rear brake more feel.
alec

Post by alec »

bazza696 wrote:try and get an SP1 piston like I have in mine, its teflon coated and gives the rear brake more feel.
just the piston in the standard caliper Baz ?
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

alec wrote:
bazza696 wrote:try and get an SP1 piston like I have in mine, its teflon coated and gives the rear brake more feel.
just the piston in the standard caliper Baz ?
spot on
chris vtr virgin

Hey Twinpotter
What school were you at i was origanlly from cairneyhill and i used to go to Queen Anne
So i knew a lot off boys from oakley
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Hiya Chris
Went to Inzievar (Mrs Borland's class) but we moved south in the fair holidays of 77, the year I was supposed to go to Queen Anne. Got an auntie up the road from you in Crossford (the Pitfirrane being the local). Next time I'm up, I'll give you a shout.
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!