Flat spot rear tyre??????

General Biker Banter
marksmiffy

Post by marksmiffy »

Evening all :)

Just noticed i've got a flat spot on my rear tyre and wondered how crucial it is to replace??/

Think it's prob down to a lot of pillion riding.

I don't feel any difference yet when i tip into a corner ( not like my sons zx6r he used to have it used to drop all of a sudden :eek2 )

Also.....had a nail in my front tyre last year and got it repaired by my local dealer...he told me he has to say it's only temporary but if it don't go down then it will be ok.....should i replace?

If replacement is necessary is it best to replace both? :think:

:beer:
rob's red storm

Post by rob's red storm »

Do you mean the rear is squared off? It will affect handling but you can still ride with it. A repaired tyre can mean different things to different people, I say ride with it but some say it's a question of basic safety (especially on front). I went through a spate of nails in tyres...decided to get rear repaired and change my route into work....sorted!
marksmiffy

Re: Flat spot rear tyre??????

Post by marksmiffy »

Oops sorry Rob :p meant squared off :D
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Depends how much you value your life I guess? No dramatics, just that a repair can give out without warning and land you in hot doo doo if lucky ..........and worse if not.
Change 'em both and sharpen up that handling. You'll be amazed how much better the bike feels!!!!!
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

marksmiffy wrote:Evening all :)

If replacement is necessary is it best to replace both? :think:

:beer:
yep... especially if youre taking the mrs pillion, get new tyres m8. not worth the risk - and as lsm said, it will transform the handling :thumbup:
shop around for a pair deal - a good sports touring tyre will probably suit you best if you ride 2 up - and will last well.
i dont trust any tyre when they square off
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
rob's red storm

Post by rob's red storm »

If you are looking for touring tyres I have been commuting on the Michelin pilot roads, great in dry and wet and I've managed pretty fantastic milages on them before they get too squared off!