Looking for advice before purchasing 1998 VTR

General Bike chat
bentrod

Looking for advice before purchasing 1998 VTR

Post by bentrod »

Hello to all,
I am considering buying a 1998 VTR. I briefly flirted with purchasing a VFR800 but the bike did not appeal to me (too sophisticated perhaps). I currently have a Honda Shadow Spirit 750 which I like very much and plan to keep. I really enjoy the sound and torque of a v-twin but have been wanting to add a sportier bike to my garage. There are not a lot of realistic choices in the v-twin sport bike category especially when you don't want to spend a lot of money, besides I am a Honda man. The VTR is really appealling to me. I am not looking for an all out performance bike nor do I ride that way. I would like a bike that I will be able to ride fairly aggressively in the moutains for 300-500 miles per day for several days in a row all the while enjoying the sweet sound of a canned v-twin. Can this be done on a VTR and if so what makes it more comfortable (new seat, higher windscreen, Heli-bars etc.)?
I have not seen the bike I am considering in person yet but will tomorrow. The bike has 9k miles and is stock except for an aftermarket set of cans. Owner describes bike as being in excellent condition. My other question is: In addition to the usual items one would check when inspecting a used motorcycle, does the VTR have any unique issues that one should be aware of and check for before buying?
Any and all thoughts and comments would be welcome.

Thank you,
Bentrod
captainkirk11

Post by captainkirk11 »

You won't regret buying a VTR 1000 but there are a couple of things that you should know. In 2001 they put on a bigger capacity tank (19 lt ) and gave the bike a lcd fuel gauge rather than a low fuel warning light. Those of us with pre 2001 bikes are only getting about 100 miles from a tankful.
The only engine problems are cam chain tensioner failures on which subject there are numerous threads. Rumour has it that Honda improved the tensioners on later bikes.
Ask if the forks have been worked on as stock forks really need re-valving and better springs, again loads of advice on here on that subject.
I have dropped down 1 tooth on the front sprocket which transforms the acceleration.
I've had a lot of different bikes and I will say that I will be keeping this bike for a long time as it excites me every time I get on it and the low down power is unbelievable :D :D :D
bentrod

Post by bentrod »

Thanks Captain.
I have read quite a bit about the short range. If I can get at least 100 miles before refueling I should be OK. My Shadow does not go a whole lot farther before needing gas and it has never really been a problem. Gas stations are usually not too far apart where I ride. I am usually ready to get off for a few minutes by then anyways. Thanks for the other info also. I will look into it.

Bentrod
DD

Post by DD »

Also note that from 01 the bars were also raised and the angle increased for better touring comfort.
cheers Darryl
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

bentrod

Advice.

But one and enjoy!

Thats it mate!
CHUGNUT

Post by CHUGNUT »

go for it!!!
you won't look back...........
except maybe to see where all yer mates have gone :wink: